Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 09-02-2023, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoolrausch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because they were trying to make a fantasy world. Every other game that came after was just trying to make a game. But they didn't fail. They were trying to get people to play, not create a good fantasy world. By those metrics they succeeded far beyond everquest.
it's a good point. Every other game has to in some way, some how balance everything so choices dont really matter much in the end. Even the expansions of EQ past Velious did this. For example, choosing a barbarian warrior gave you shitty vision, no regen and no FSI. Not to mention you had no ability to solo at later levels.

Some classes and some races are simply better, and sometimes we choose a race/class combo in this EQ experience not because they are the best, but because we like them the most.
Old 09-02-2023, 02:25 PM
Banned

I definitely prefer the experience of having bests and worsts over having no bests and no worsts.

EQ being brutally punishing is what makes achieving things in the game feel significant.

When I played EQ2 I just kinda shrugged every time I achieved anything because it felt inevitable and hollow. That model is better for business though, because it attracts more casuals.
Old 09-09-2023, 02:32 PM
Aviak

I'd say the biggest reason EQ stands out is that the developers didn't just remove and nerf all the mechanics in the game when players figured out all the many many MANY tricks that devs didn't intend to happen. Split pulling with feign death when FD was just a skill meant to prevent a monk from death in a bad spot, it became much more than it's initial design. Same with kiting, fear kiting, swarm kiting, you name it, all things that players sussed out that while sometimes devs would tone something down if it was way out of hand, they rolled with the blue prints the players came up with.
Not only did they carve out more mechanics for the stuff players figured out but instead of just nerfing, removing, streamlining and turning the game into modern MMO rotation/script slop they would also use the power of itemization as a much more rewarding manner of steering the players into new roles that weren't there before. by using items and developing around players learning new exploits / tricks / weird behaviors in the game, they managed to keep players engaged trying to figure out new shit. How many raid strategies are possible for alot of the old shit? people who raided in the past wouldn't even recognize the raid scene (even before all the "enhancements") because we evolved raid strategy using unconventional strats to get to mobs of choice in premium time due to racing. How many modern mmo shitslops have raids that people can adapt to in a way that the devs didn't intend but its allowed? can't think of any.

Sandbox >>>> Instanced conveyor belt roboraids (and their uninspired itemizations)
Old 09-09-2023, 02:34 PM
Aviak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqW4...dex=49&t=1806s
Old 09-12-2023, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushy_master [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Re-examining EQ, it seems like certain things were kind of mailed in, like trade skills and lore to some degree. Other things they NAILED like starting cities, spell casting system, character art, and certain dungeons.

The innate difficulty and need to group and socialize was mostly Brad from what I can gather and it really the game.

Other than that it was pretty much a 3D MUD. They designed a bunch of dungeons using MOBs and race/classes from DnD.

They didn't antiicpateexpect "raiding" or camping to be a thing.
How was the lore mailed in? EQ has really deep lore
Old 09-22-2023, 12:52 PM
Decaying Skeleton

The thing that engaged me from the first was that kind of 'day frozen in time' aspect of the overall story line. What the heck was Ambassador D'Vinn plotting with Emperor Crush? The world didn't feel like a generic sandbox.

My buddy's barbarian warrior, Mybarbwar, getting lost in the tunnel into black burrow because he couldn't see in the dark, getting gang-banged by the guards and dying in the dark, then needing help recovering his gear was a classic first experience into the harshness of the game mechanics.

Me realizing I could play more than one song at a time and keeping multiple effects up at the same time felt like a revelation. And infravision not really working on those Everfrost skellies, yikes.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:04 PM
Decaying Skeleton

It's always fascinating to see how some games hit the mark while others fall short. Sometimes, it's a mix of luck, creativity, and a deep understanding of what players want. Brad and the team behind this game might have drawn inspiration from DnD and MUDs, but they likely added their unique twist and made it work brilliantly.
Speaking of games, have you ever read this article on how does solitaire cash work? It's a classic card game that many enjoy during their leisure time. If you're curious about how it works or looking for a relaxing game to play, you can check it out.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlays [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DnD neckbeards who spent hours around a table now can do they same thing but never leave their basement.

While I think they nailed a lot of things, for a game with quest in its name, I spent way more time camping than questing. You would think that many of the items you would get would be done by questing for it like they did with Sol Ro Armor. The game technically was an open beta for a while IMO
The REAL quests is the ones you set for yourself "I want to complete this epic, or get this level, or this item, or go to this zone and fight this creature."

If you look at it that way the quest is eternal.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyb0y [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The REAL quests is the ones you set for yourself "I want to complete this epic, or get this level, or this item, or go to this zone and fight this creature."

If you look at it that way the quest is eternal.
Congratulations you've discovered the meaning behind the name of the game.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 12-12-2023, 06:55 PM
Fire Giant

Monsters & Memories is hitting all the right notes.