Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-09-2022, 02:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The entire spirit of the game that attracts this niche playerbase is that not everyone gets a participation trophy.
It could just as easily be argued that P99's oddball, cutthroat culture is part of why it's a niche community--it drives a lot of normal folks away. I definitely see conversation to that effect on various sites across the 'net.

----------------------------------------

That being said, I regard our defacto reality here as representing a sort of compromise: Anyone can, without serious hurdles, obtain sufficient stuff to let their characters do the jobs they're meant to do throughout virtually the entire game. That's good enough for me. "Participation trophies" or "welfare gear" or whatever derogatory term you want to call it by very much exists--it's called thurgadin armor (or its non-set equivalents). The folks who built this game made sure people could get the stuff needed for their characters to function, without being blocked. The high-end pixels that people argue and bicker so vehemently over are largely optional fluff. So let 'em argue and bicker. The folks who quit because they can't get that type of stuff are, I think, obsessing over unneeded stuff to an excessive degree and getting themselves bent out of shape over nothing of import.

Danth
Old 08-09-2022, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

TLP players hate p99 lol

Quote:
So let 'em argue and bicker. The folks who quit because they can't get that type of stuff are, I think, obsessing over unneeded stuff to an excessive degree and getting themselves bent out of shape over nothing of import.
Yeah - I like reset severs because it's all about the race which is my favorite competition in EQ "the race" butI think a lot of folks just like raiding which I understand. I dont though I just cant maintain my attention span to do all the rigamerolle that goes into it. I have web99's style s-posts on the forums to make!
Last edited by Jibartik; 08-09-2022 at 02:52 PM..
Old 08-10-2022, 05:53 AM
Sarnak

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stick a lottery npc next to Shady in the tunnel. 1kpp tickets with a 1:xxx chance of getting the guise/other similar items. Combats inflation and people can get themselves sorted.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:15 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So you know Blue and Red of course, and they finally announced in 2019 that the Green server would launch which was a proper timed out timeline for classic. They wanted to run the classic era as close as the original game went as possible, but do it like a seasonal thing, so when Green is about a year past the end of its timeline, it would roll into Blue, and a new green season 2 would start, and so on. It kind of works like seasonal systems in games like diablo/path of exile and other games like that.

They had one update where they said a lot of folks were concerned and didn't want that merge to happen, so they will play it by ear. Personally i'm a fan of the original proposed system of doing the main nonseason server and a rotating seasonal server, but its up to them.

Now you might wonder "what is Teal"?

Green launched to insane popularity and the servers couldn't handle the player count. Not from a technical standpoint but for a classic load standpoint on the content, so for a temporary time, the server split into a second shard. After around the 4-5 month mark, they remerged once numbers came back to manageable levels and now its just green again.

the staff did an amazing job with everything, better then I could ever imagine possible. There is not and likely will never be anyone who creates as accurate a picture of the classic timeline. Here's hoping for season 2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you for the amazing response
Old 08-19-2022, 06:41 AM
Fire Giant

Honestly they should just re-itemize the game. Bring back some of the mystery.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin
Nothing else in this game is guaranteed ... you don't get to sit at the mushroom king camp for X hours and get handed a Fungi Tunic, do you? Why should items that are so good, they got removed from the game, be guaranteed ... when a Fungi Tunic isn't?
Ackshually, lists don't guarantee a drop either. They guarantee you a spot at the camp. You might get it in 1 hour or 100 hours. Lists don't change that.

If you continually held the fungi tunic camp until the next drop you would get it. Period. If you leave, you are done with the camp. List or no list, it's the same.

Lists are exactly the same with one important change: people can't just pass the camp to a friend/guildie of their choice AFTER they loot the item.

Anti-listers are either stupid, jealous, and/or don't have a lot of time to play.

They don't want what is 'fair,' they want whatever gives them a better chance at loot regardless of what is ackshually fair.

Period.
Last edited by Castle2.0; 08-19-2022 at 10:33 AM..
Old 08-19-2022, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ackshually, lists don't guarantee a drop either. They guarantee you a spot at the camp. You might get it in 1 hour or 100 hours. Lists don't change that.

If you continually held the fungi tunic camp until the next drop you would get it. Period. If you leave, you are done with the camp. List or no list, it's the same.

Lists are exactly the same with one important change: people can't just pass the camp to a friend/guildie of their choice AFTER they loot the item.

Anti-listers are either stupid, jealous, and/or don't have a lot of time to play.

They don't want what is 'fair,' they want whatever gives them a better chance at loot regardless of what is ackshually fair.

Period.
So, back in classic (you know, the thing this entire server is trying to emulate), what camps had people sitting for 24+ hours knowing they'd be guaranteed to get the next drop?

I remember the way lots (in fact, all) camps worked was that you'd show up for a few hours, and for those few hours you'd have a chance at an item. I don't remember any camps working the /list (1.0) way.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:34 AM
Aviak

whatever im over on p99 evergreen looting cracked staffs as we speak
Old 08-19-2022, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

Need new Teal ASAP.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, back in classic (you know, the thing this entire server is trying to emulate), what camps had people sitting for 24+ hours knowing they'd be guaranteed to get the next drop?

I remember the way lots (in fact, all) camps worked was that you'd show up for a few hours, and for those few hours you'd have a chance at an item. I don't remember any camps working the /list (1.0) way.
You are either stupid/unimaginative or just so selfish you can't see another angle.

You want to talk classic. Here's a question:

Question: In classic, did players holding camps where a rare, powerful item drops once every 20-100 hours usually decide to /random the item when it drops to whoever was around, regardless of how long people have been at the camp?

Answer: No

Your idea is worse than the current list. When you come up with something better, let us know.
Last edited by Castle2.0; 08-19-2022 at 01:50 PM..