Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 08-11-2022, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy_Colwell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That this is happening now is terrible! Couldn't the administration have organised distance learning? Do you think this terrible event could have been prevented? I think so. The administrations of universities and all educational institutions in general should have organised distance learning. I understand that in this form students can use help with homework, as there are many sites but I think it is not worth it and it is better to trust the students. I think it's just the negligence of security and administration. What do you think?
Hello new account necroing a thread from June. Wonder if they matched your IP who else your name matches with.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not a cultural decline? Have you even seen what modern society and culture is like?

Violence is as old as humanity. That's nature. But to not see how society has declined in the past 20 or so years is to be blind. Go even farther to the 1960s and compare it to the 50s and earlier, and I don't mean the civil rights issues I mean what society as a whole valued then.

Nihilism and hedonism rule our society today. Hard work isn't valued anymore, the family unit isn't valued anymore. Neither is marriage and commitment or even a basic sense of right and wrong at times. We are fucked.
This 100%
Old 08-11-2022, 07:56 PM
Banned

I still don't see any actual evidence of what makes society "declining" in the last twenty years. Pretend for a moment that I blind, or that I just emerged from a coma.

What makes society worse now than it was in 2002? What are the indicators?
Old 08-11-2022, 08:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by robayon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What makes society worse now than it was in 2002? What are the indicators?
We've had the industrial, scientific educational, and information ages, and still are killing each other in brass bulls.

Sooner or later we're going to have to wonder if we're even capable of evolving.

Also according to science, every single society that exists without the technology that makes all of the above, is categorically happier (and I bet even safer) than the average person in our society.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:04 PM
Banned

I was hoping someone could cite specific events or trends

I mean, I largely agree, but I don't have time for misanthropy as a result of realizing that we may have hosed ourselves. I don't think it's nearly as simple as the social issues sparkles is griping about, so I was hoping for more.

"Hard work isn't valued anymore" gimme a break. Every aging generation ever has said that about their forthcoming replacement, and that ignores incredible amounts of labor in places other than America
Old 08-11-2022, 08:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by robayon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I mean, I largely agree, but I don't have time for misanthropy as a result of realizing that we may have hosed ourselves. I don't think it's nearly as simple as the social issues sparkles is griping about, so I was hoping for more.

"Hard work isn't valued anymore" gimme a break. Every aging generation ever has said that about their forthcoming replacement, and that ignores incredible amounts of labor in places other than America
I don't have any research, but there is some parallels to the john calhoun study about overcrowding of mice not so much due to overcrowding but due to over abundance of everything in the usa. The internet makes it much easier for the "preener generation" to avoid traditional human behavior.

Not a min maxer, don't care about it
Old 08-11-2022, 08:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
http://dericbownds.net/uploaded_imag...terlin1974.pdf

Economic inequality has been linked to lower levels of trust in others and a reduced sense of fairness; trust and fairness are both predictive of happiness. Also, income inequality is linked with fewer economic opportunities, less social mobility, poorer overall health, and higher levels of crime.

Consumerism is Lucifarianism!
Old 08-11-2022, 09:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello new account necroing a thread from June. Wonder if they matched your IP who else your name matches with.
That's the weed link bot spam guy. He's been asked nicely to knock it off with the links or stfu, and hasn't.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's the weed link bot spam guy. He's been asked nicely to knock it off with the links or stfu, and hasn't.
you're telling me it's learning...?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-11-2022, 10:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://dericbownds.net/uploaded_imag...terlin1974.pdf

Economic inequality has been linked to lower levels of trust in others and a reduced sense of fairness; trust and fairness are both predictive of happiness. Also, income inequality is linked with fewer economic opportunities, less social mobility, poorer overall health, and higher levels of crime.

Consumerism is Lucifarianism!
We should be training young men to be firefighters and paramedics at age 16, especially if they come from Poor backgrounds. Owning a home and having a 401k gives a person a chance to break the cycle of poverty

Instead we can’t teach kids algebra and by 18 they’ve already given up. Meanwhile, air traffic controllers make $120k a year and we can’t fill those jobs