Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 08-10-2022, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

Paradise Lost
Old 08-10-2022, 07:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnasP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paradise Lost
I actually did read the first half or so of Paradise Lost, for a class in college, and ... you're an evil bastard for recommending it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EDIT: But, on the plus side, if anyone feels masochistic, it is free online: https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/26/pg26.txt

Here's the first stanza, in case I get accused of besmirching Milton:

Quote:
Of Man’s first disobedience, and the fruit
Of that forbidden tree whose mortal taste
Brought death into the World, and all our woe,
With loss of Eden, till one greater Man
Restore us, and regain the blissful seat,
Sing, Heavenly Muse, that, on the secret top
Of Oreb, or of Sinai, didst inspire
That shepherd who first taught the chosen seed
In the beginning how the heavens and earth
Rose out of Chaos: or, if Sion hill
Delight thee more, and Siloa’s brook that flowed
Fast by the oracle of God, I thence
Invoke thy aid to my adventurous song,
That with no middle flight intends to soar
Above th’ Aonian mount, while it pursues
Things unattempted yet in prose or rhyme.
And chiefly thou, O Spirit, that dost prefer
Before all temples th’ upright heart and pure,
Instruct me, for thou know’st; thou from the first
Wast present, and, with mighty wings outspread,
Dove-like sat’st brooding on the vast Abyss,
And mad’st it pregnant: what in me is dark
Illumine, what is low raise and support;
That, to the height of this great argument,
I may assert Eternal Providence,
And justify the ways of God to men.
Not exactly light reading, but it does have some great imagery.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 08-10-2022 at 07:17 PM..
Old 08-10-2022, 07:49 PM
Planar Protector

Recommended Fantasy would be The Elric Saga

You'll despise The Witcher after reading it
Old 08-11-2022, 02:17 AM
Planar Protector

Hyperion is a good series, also second the foundation series recommendation from Isaac Asimov
Old 08-11-2022, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaveh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hyperion is a good series, also second the foundation series recommendation from Isaac Asimov
Asimov still tops my list. One of his lesser-known ones that my elem school library had was the "Adventures of Lucky Starr" series. Ties in to the Robot novels well.

-Mcoy
Old 08-11-2022, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaveh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Asimov still tops my list. One of his lesser-known ones that my elem school library had was the "Adventures of Lucky Starr" series. Ties in to the Robot novels well.

-Mcoy
Never read Lucky Starr, but ... YES!! Everything Asimov wrote is amazing (I even own his joke book, which is a bit dated, but still funny ... the man wrote books in almost every major category in the Dewey Decimal System!).

But especially yes to everything from the Foundation/Robot series (which are really one epic interconnected story). R. Daneel is the man ... er robot.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:31 PM
Planar Protector

This channel is neat, I've shared it before but thought I'd share it here too because this one is really cool. It's nice to get this guys cliffnotes for some strange ones.

Old 08-12-2022, 02:18 AM
Aviak

Man after Man: An Anthropology of the Future by Dougal Dixon
An insane speculative-scifi fever dream about humanity, evolution, and the dark heart of nature. Don't just look at the brilliant and crazy illustrations, the narratives are easily twice as fascinating.

Baudolino, by Umberto Eco.
A little Italian boy in the Holy Roman Empire days proves to be good at words and better at bullshitting so he gets hired by Frederick Barbarossa. He spends a dissolute youth vainly using what power and connections he has by merit of his prodigy pursuing stories of dubious holy relics and fantasies of Prester John, the mythical Christian king of the far East. The whole story is told mainly by Baudolino himself, to this Greek dude he meets as the Crusades are sieging the Byzantine Empire at Constantinople. Really fascinating story of a dyed-in-the-wool super-grifter.

Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco
What if Sherlock Holmes was a British monk who came to an Italian monastery with his little Italian buddy to attend a theological disputation between the Pope and the Franciscans, and ends up having to use medieval scholastic reasoning to try and solve a murder mystery that goes to the very heart of ideas of heresy and faith in the medieval era? Well, if you read this book you will find out, and have a lot of fun doing it!
Old 08-12-2022, 09:06 AM
Banned

I bought a copy of Foucault's Pendulum on Thriftbooks and when I opened it a flattened dead tick fell out. It was very yellow and aged.