Old 08-10-2022, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

One of my more modern favorites:

Wool, or the "Silo" series by Hugh Howey

-Mcoy
Old 08-10-2022, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd recommend Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion
I went to add these and I already have them. Now I remember - damned shrike.

-Mcoy
Old 08-10-2022, 03:22 PM
Kobold

The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami is a solid book of short stories.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shocked to see anyone mention Simmons here, since I was going to recommend him also ... but I'd recommend Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion (two books, one story) instead. I'm both a Literature major and a big science-fiction fan, and those two books are my favorite works of fiction, ever.

At the same time however, I would caution you never to read Simmons' Illium and Olympus. Illium also start out with an amazing story ... but Simmons was clearly still learning to be a writer when he wrote it, as the ending (Olympus) is absolutely atrocious. If he hadn't written my favorite books ever, I would hate Dan Simmons with a fiery passion for writing Olympus: it's that bad.

P.S. The Hyperion books also have a couple of sequels, Endymion and Rise of Endymion. They're good, and it's fun to come back to that same universe again, but they're definitely not as good as the originals (which is usually true of sequels).
I remember I was at barnes and noble looking for a civil war book, I would buy one for grandma every year for christmas. It was in the new release section and at the time I had a strong fascination with stories of exploration and mountaineering and john muir at the time. The picture on the front and the back cover synopsis just spoke to me so I picked it (the terror) up.

I will definitely add the Hyperion and the sequels to my list. Thanks.

Not a min maxer, don't care about it
Old 08-10-2022, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I went to add these and I already have them. Now I remember - damned shrike.

-Mcoy
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] He shows up in the sequels also.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethalis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will definitely add the Hyperion and the sequels to my list. Thanks.
Well now I need to pick up The Terror, so thanks right back at ya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Banned

The Night's Dawn trilogy (The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God) by Peter F. Hamilton - a interesting blend of solid sci-fi, light history, and a dash of theology in a less ham-fisted way than Arthur C. Clarke.

Revelation Space universe by Alastair Reynolds - Pretty fun hard sci-fi which deals with the whole FTL barrier in a very fun way, mostly. His unrelated novel "Pushing Ice" is also a great book.

The Culture novels by Iain M. Banks - great far-future post-scarcity series of books, some of which are related to the others to varying degrees. Elon Musk likes to name his spaceships after the spaceships in these books but don't let that connection turn you off from these wonderful books (if you aren't a Musk fan, anyways)

Thirding anything by Dan Simmons, loved the Hyperion Cantos when I was a teenager. I did read Ilium and Olympos as well but I didn't like those as much. The Terror was a great tv show, always meant to read the book.

The original Conan novels by Robert E. Howard. They're like 100+ years old and no they are not politically correct at all like a lot of popular white guy fiction at the time but they are amazing reading.

For fiction, anyways.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:01 PM
Planar Protector

Revelation Space is increasingly disappointing the further you get in the series, but the standalone Chasm City is really good.

I recently reread Haruki Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizondo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mao: The Unknown Story

Stalin: The Court Of The Red Tsar

I would add this one to this list the definitive biography of Adolf Hitler by John Tolan

Old 08-10-2022, 06:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I recently reread Haruki Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.
I looked it up. That is an interesting concept for a book