Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 02-24-2024, 11:34 PM
Fire Giant

paladin can perform its job and excel as a twink with exceptional gears

ranger can do the job with any gears, but is weak as f with avg gears, and still weak with nice gears (300k+ invested), and still does not excel with exceptional gears (raid drops and weapons with 600k+ plat items invested)
Old 02-25-2024, 06:30 AM
Fire Giant

Rangers are junk.

I have two. They weaponshield. And snipe statues evidently.

Paladins are less junk.

Make a warrior/rog.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:10 AM
Banned

End game paladin stomps ranger with all their free clickies n stuff. For raw power levels.

Butt if u wanna grind lvl 35 and under mobs. Ranger is faster.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:12 PM
Fire Giant

Both do fine with a full set of SS armor, yelinak talisman, and a city leader wep.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:41 AM
Fire Giant

I feel like folks just need to go into either of these classes with accurate expectations. They both bring a lot of utility and value in their own way, but neither will tank the tough raid targets (well, rangers will for up to 3 ticks) and neither will top dps charts.

As with any class in EQ, there are compromises.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:56 AM
Kobold

I don't have either of these class, so unable to comment except

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now, before this thread goes too far, lets base the discussion on a causal player, who wants to do some soloing and some grouping, and doesn't have the free time of a part time job to play the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
some relatively attainable BiS gear, and minimal to no gear that required excessive dkp.
The above two statements appear to me to be at odds with each other. Is this a casual player who may hit 50 in a few years or someone grinding out a lvl 60 raiding toon in 4 months, who plans on grinding 8 hours every quake?
Old 02-26-2024, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I think this is the best place to post this.

For the sake of discussion, which class has more utility, can solo/group better etc.?

Now, before this thread goes too far, lets base the discussion on a causal player, who wants to do some soloing and some grouping, and doesn't have the free time of a part time job to play the game.

Gear wise, assume reasonably priced gear that can be bought in the tunnel, some no drop / light raiding gear, some relatively attainable BiS gear, and minimal to no gear that required excessive dkp.

Thoughts???
honestly these 2 classes are probably almost perfectly equal based on your criteria.

Both will do well with standard melee twinking. Both epics are relatively fair game (ranger is harder but you can get 1 sword easily atleast). Their utility kit is similar strength with an edge going to paladin. Off healing, roots and a class specific buff at its core, rangers getting snare and harmony, paladins getting real pacify and stuns.

Both are underplayed classes but paladins have more Knight only gear that will go for pennies so edge to paladins on end game gear probably.
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 02-27-2024, 02:52 AM
Planar Protector

I started both my ranger and pally without any desire to raid on p99. Really just to be weird and pick underdog classes. If anything ive been surprised how much the pally can tank and how much dps the ranger can do. That doesn’t even go into the niche buffs and tricks like bumping and Soulfire clicking.

They can both solo to 60 or have fun in groups. You can help friends with quests. Their epics are very attainable (and Tunare paladins have a semi-epic you can do in an afternoon with a MQ).
Old 02-27-2024, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

I have found both classes to be equally useful. I found the Ranger to have the edge on “fun to play”. The paladin is objectively the more powerful of the two across the board even factoring the perks for rangers outdoors.

It is easier to solo xp on the Ranger if you can use the full tool-kit (ie outdoors).
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 02-27-2024 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: iPhone autocorrect
Old 02-27-2024, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is easier to solo xp on the Ranger if you can use the full tool-kit (ie outdoors).
Easier, yes.

I reckon the paladin in a high zem dungeon keeping a little camp down will fair better in the XP / hour.