Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 04-20-2023, 10:26 AM
Banned

Hit points are useless. The difference between a 2000 point Cheal and a 1800 point cheal is a fraction of a percentage. You will never raid tank. And if you're pulling stuff where 250 hp at lvl 60 in BiS will make a difference you're doing it wrong. For most of your life that will be at best a 50 hp difference between you and an the guy who went all str.

Str for weak races before you can get any gear or buffs like if you are doing a solo self found challenge. Int for dumb races. Dex for vampiric embrace and procs for soloing. Agi for ogres and erudites.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean, if the guy doesn't raid, warrior is probably the very worst class in the game to pick. Warrior sucks ass in any context other than maintanking content that requires defensive.
Inb4 some war min maxer comes in saying to never pick a pally or sk over them in a group
Old 04-20-2023, 11:12 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean, if the guy doesn't raid, warrior is probably the very worst class in the game to pick. Warrior sucks ass in any context other than maintanking content that requires defensive.
Warrior is superior in almost every "context" except pickup grps. Why you so dumb?
Old 04-20-2023, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah I was gonna say.

I'd take a war in my XP groups any day. They at least do damage. Also disc.

SKs and Paladins are just for shitty groups with bad players.
Last edited by Toxigen; 04-20-2023 at 12:01 PM..
Old 04-20-2023, 11:55 AM
Banned

the best /fastest group is the one with the highest exp bonus (halfling wars) killing the easiest mobs (no downtime) even in a zone with shitty zem - even if they aren't killing at the fastest speed they can

and b4 u say wars are terrible they can bandage each other and keep the exp flowing pretty gud especially at lower lvls with a smattering of gear
Old 04-20-2023, 02:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampolo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Warrior is superior in almost every "context" except pickup grps. Why you so dumb?
If by "almost every context" you mean literally only maintanking raid bosses and no other aspect of the game whatsoever. That is the one and only activity in the entire game where warrior is not by far the worst class for its archetype. Imbecile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the best /fastest group is the one with the highest exp bonus (halfling wars) killing the easiest mobs (no downtime) even in a zone with shitty zem - even if they aren't killing at the fastest speed they can
The last thing I want in an XP group is a tank who can't hold aggro reliably. In what harebrained world do people prefer the tank of an XP group being marginally more tanky over having the mobs actually stay on the tank? In XP content, you don't wanna wait ten seconds for the tank to secure aggro before engaging. Anyone who thinks the halfling XP bonus (5% divided across the group lmao) makes up for that kind of horrendous inefficiency, or the healer having twice as much downtime because someone other than the tank has aggro half the time, is functionally retarded. Warrior is a trash class for every Everquest activity except tanking the content that requires defensive.

Quote:
and b4 u say wars are terrible they can bandage each other and keep the exp flowing pretty gud especially at lower lvls with a smattering of gear
Oh. My mistake. I thought you were actually being serious, but now I see that you're just kidding.
Last edited by greatdane; 04-20-2023 at 02:12 PM..
Old 04-20-2023, 02:34 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
If by "almost every context" you mean literally only maintanking raid bosses and no other aspect of the game whatsoever. That is the one and only activity in the entire game where warrior is not by far the worst class for its archetype. Imbecile.

The last thing I want in an XP group is a tank who can't hold aggro reliably. In what harebrained world do people prefer the tank of an XP group being marginally more tanky over having the mobs actually stay on the tank? In XP content, you don't wanna wait ten seconds for the tank to secure aggro before engaging. Anyone who thinks the halfling XP bonus (5% divided across the group lmao) makes up for that kind of horrendous inefficiency, or the healer having twice as much downtime because someone other than the tank has aggro half the time, is functionally retarded. Warrior is a trash class for every Everquest activity except tanking the content that requires defensive.

Oh. My mistake. I thought you were actually being serious, but now I see that you're just kidding.
When you get off your sk or dps class and actually try to do anything other than a pickup group or a zerg raid you'll find warrior is superior. When someone is trying to actually get something done in game they are looking for a monk or a war for trios groups and raids. Sk or pally is always second choice
Old 04-20-2023, 03:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I was gonna say.

I'd take a war in my XP groups any day. They at least do damage. Also disc.

SKs and Paladins are just for shitty groups with bad players.
Where are wars just blowing away SK/Pallies in group dps? They are all on the same damage table, and they all use 2h now. My Sks 58 pet probably makes up the difference, if any. But with that also comes FD/snare/snap aggro, etc.

Sorry, I just don't see a place for wars in xp groups unless you like ponging aggro all day, or have a knight tanking and have them stay in zerk with a tov 2hnder.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampolo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you get off your sk or dps class and actually try to do anything other than a pickup group or a zerg raid you'll find warrior is superior. When someone is trying to actually get something done in game they are looking for a monk or a war for trios groups and raids. Sk or pally is always second choice
curious what trioable mobs you need a war for over sk/pally. If this is a decent sized list i might be convinced war > sk/pal for pugs.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

In a bloated 6 man pug in CoM / KC, sure, take the knight all day over a mediocre geared war. The DPS doesn't matter and you've got 1-2 people watching netflix or picking their buttholes.

The gap in DPS is noticed in your smaller groups (lets just talk trios and quads for scope). Duo is different because it depends on your partner. For instance, pally is great w/ necro and enchanter because you essentially play like a support char to the charmed pets. But if you're a cleric you're gonna take that war w/ truncheon and vyemm whip all day, every day, no questions asked. Don't get me started on shaman, its not even close. Let's not focus on duos.

There are so many variables you could skew together to make a weak argument for knights, but if you're with competent people there is basically zero instances where you want a pally/SK over a war...and this gap gets massive with the bloat gear of end velious where level 50 wars are rocking 41% haste and near BiS weapons.

I'm not talking about farming King at 60. That can be duo'd / trio'd with a number of combos. Normal XP groups that are not mob/spawn-capped where you're trying to chew through as many kills an hour as possible...you're taking the war all day er'day unless they're in total rags with shit weapons...which doesn't exist really on P99 these days.

Build your best trio / 4 man group compositions for XP. None of them include knights (let's face it its cleric + 2x/3x enchanter but lolcharm). It just gets worse starting at 52 w/ evasive for those "oh fuck" moments when your overzealous puller YOLOs 7 toughies.

Knights aren't bad...but war is just so far ahead.

Fortunately there are still people playing p99 that are absolute dogshit at this game. Knights help here.
Last edited by Toxigen; 04-20-2023 at 03:52 PM..