Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Orc

Default Monk noob help!

Hey folks!
My 5 other dudes and I are gonna try EQ for the first time together. I'm gonna be the group'a Monk.
Do you have some tips and tricks (key binds, macros etc) I could use. How can I be most effective in my group and which are my best utilities? And where would u put your bonus stats into? Just 20 Strength ? Gonna be a filthy Human btw ^^

The rest of the group is:
Warrior
Cleric
Shaman
Enchanter
Rogue
Old 12-27-2016, 12:49 AM
Fire Giant

Pulling for this group will be a full time job. You will probably be working harder than any of the rest. As puller, its your job to understand the limits of your enchanter's skill and your group's ability, then to pull as close to that limit as you feel comfortable with.

With the dps there, you will probably be chain pulling more often than not. Learn the tricks of FD/sneak pulling. I would shy away from macros for the most part, so you can really learn the class.

As a 55 human monk, I am happy that I put my points into stamina. A little added str does nothing for a puller, and helps in dps mode just a tad. Multiple FD fails or funky pulls happen often enough, and those extra hps have made the difference when it counted before.

One suggestion: get a good Ui. Check out QQUI (can google it). I like it, but you'll need to do another search to learn how to darken up the windows so you can actually read the text.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:40 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pulling for this group will be a full time job. You will probably be working harder than any of the rest. As puller, its your job to understand the limits of your enchanter's skill and your group's ability, then to pull as close to that limit as you feel comfortable with.

With the dps there, you will probably be chain pulling more often than not. Learn the tricks of FD/sneak pulling. I would shy away from macros for the most part, so you can really learn the class.

As a 55 human monk, I am happy that I put my points into stamina. A little added str does nothing for a puller, and helps in dps mode just a tad. Multiple FD fails or funky pulls happen often enough, and those extra hps have made the difference when it counted before.

One suggestion: get a good Ui. Check out QQUI (can google it). I like it, but you'll need to do another search to learn how to darken up the windows so you can actually read the text.
Ok, ty for your answer!
So how do they look from a dps perspective ?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:44 AM
Fire Giant

Such a group can steamroll any group content, nice classes you got. One little problem: No ports in your group. Could replace shaman with druid, but of course that would put more stress on the chanter. Well, can't have everything i guess [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Monks really don't need macros. You just need to level that all important FD skill and learn all of its uses.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Such a group can steamroll any group content, nice classes you got. One little problem: No ports in your group. Could replace shaman with druid, but of course that would put more stress on the chanter. Well, can't have everything i guess [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Monks really don't need macros. You just need to level that all important FD skill and learn all of its uses.
Hope there are videos on YouTube, so I can get the jist of it ^^
Well we had to choose either a Shaman or a Druid, and the gal would rather play Shaman, so
Last edited by Bagger; 12-27-2016 at 10:06 AM..
Old 12-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok, ty for your answer!
So how do they look from a dps perspective ?
Monks are excellent dps as well as strong tanks, however you need to remember that you might end up spending much of your time pulling whilst the rest of the group is finishing off your previous pull. It is not really efficient to wear too many hats at once.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monks are excellent dps as well as strong tanks, however you need to remember that you might end up spending much of your time pulling whilst the rest of the group is finishing off your previous pull. It is not really efficient to wear too many hats at once.
Pull, pull and pull ... Got it!
Old 12-27-2016, 03:38 PM
Kobold

I wrote a monk guide based on my experience on P99: http://wiki.project1999.com/Meviin%27s_Monk_Mechanics

Nothing wrong with being a filthy human if that's what you want to do. That said, Iksar are the better min/max choice, and faction isn't really a problem for monks due to FD and sneak -- I can bank anywhere.

I use DuxaUI rather than QQUI, but really, any non-default UI is fine.

I wrote a Monk guide: Meviin's Monk Mechanics
I wrote a guide on purple links in incoming messages:
Meviin's Macros: Purple Links When Pulling

Meviin - 60 Monk (Iksar) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Laylot - 21 Necromancer (Iksar) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Kozev - 12 Enchanter (High Elf) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Old 12-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wrote a monk guide based on my experience on P99: http://wiki.project1999.com/Meviin%27s_Monk_Mechanics

Nothing wrong with being a filthy human if that's what you want to do. That said, Iksar are the better min/max choice, and faction isn't really a problem for monks due to FD and sneak -- I can bank anywhere.

I use DuxaUI rather than QQUI, but really, any non-default UI is fine.
Excellent! I was looking for something like that! Awesome dude

Would you also recommend to put 20 stats into Stamina?
Last edited by Bagger; 12-27-2016 at 04:04 PM..
Old 12-27-2016, 07:15 PM
Planar Protector

Make sure you train Feigh Death and Sneak to the max ASAP each level. Search the forums for "sneak pulling" and "monk feign death" and you'll be 90% set.
Closed Thread