Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Sarnak

Occupational therapist by next August hopefully =3
Old 12-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Sarnak

bit late to reply but hey, here in England the Tier 1 helpdesk jobs really don't require much certs and a lot of the people currently employed in them don't even have any it's kinda a more who you know type of job but however I do feel that the certs would help boost me to getting more interviews. I signed up to this apprenticeship at the time called zenos (now pearson in practice or something they change name every term) which is supposed to help guide you into getting a career in IT, they pretty much guaranteed it although I was skeptical at first being 18 i'm kinda young and gullible. Turns out it's pretty much a massive scam 1/2 my class got jobs in IT and the other half kinda got pushed out the door and ignored by the employment consultant who was supposed to help as a reference etc when applying for jobs.

However it wasn't a complete waste of time I learned a lot of stuff and also aside from that gained interview skills and a competence award for timekeeping, communication skills etc so in a way that was a huge benefit choosing them over other apprenticeships offering the same certs minus the actual comms & competence.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Sarnak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Aviak

Runner for a small local law firm. Make a few bucks an hour more maintaining the server and network, fixing any of the bosses' devices, creating billing invoice conversation scripts, the like. Until my wife finishes school and gets a fulltime job so I can go back, its a living.

As far as the whole IT conversation: at least around where I live, everyone wants a 4 year degree. I was naive and read that I could get started with the A+ cert, but I got maybe one callback for an $8 an hour job (barely over minimum) out of the dozens of jobs I applied for. At one point I could've taken it and tried to work up, I suppose, but can't now that I'm married.

Point is: go back to school if you can. With the recession, and with everyone and their mothers getting CS's, there's just too much competition to not have it.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Probably a little different from the US method of grad school for law.
From what I gather from my bosses, you used to get a Doctorate level degree in Jurisprudence. They complain now that its something more akin to a Masters level degree instead.

Though I'm sure someone who actually said they're a lawyer will know for sure. Also, this probably only applies to Texas, since in the US we like to let every state kinda do their own thing.
Last edited by Bidoof; 12-05-2012 at 07:11 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidoof [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Point is: go back to school if you can. With the recession, and with everyone and their mothers getting CS's, there's just too much competition to not have it.
Wise words, there were rumours in the UK of university tuition fees set to go up - so the year I applied there were 10 applicants for every university space (twisted statistics however as each applicant can apply for 5 universities)...

No regrets on going back either. Sure, I feel like my life has been put on the shelf for 3 years but its been worth it and I've learnt so much. Also, rather than pay back the government tuition fee loans I won't be in the country... I paid my taxes and then some in my 20s to do this, I figure I don't owe them a penny.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, rather than pay back the government tuition fee loans I won't be in the country... I paid my taxes and then some in my 20s to do this, I figure I don't owe them a penny.
Lol quite the common thing happening over here, don't blame ya though I'd do the exact same thing... it's the only real way I can ever see myself going to uni.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Orc

Level 2.5 (haha) Support for a College. I mostly do local support and deployment of new Labs for students/staff, but I also do some server side work with CentOS and Mac OS X Server
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Sarnak

Murse.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Planar Protector

Translator / Interpreter
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Closed Thread