Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Sarnak

Default Loughner declined from the army, but passed a background check to buy a gun?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

something is terribly terribly wrong here....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599204144800

Don't get me wrong - I actually have a CHL to carry -- and that is actually VERY hard to earn here in Texas...so I am an advocate of being allowed to carry/protect...but WHY in the hell is it so dang easy for nuts to buy guns?

Rant on people....

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Kobold

I love having the right to own/carry, but the NRA lobby makes it too hard to regulate the sale of firearms to people including sociopaths. Example = Virginia Tech shooter
Old 01-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Kobold

Article about Loughner buying a Glock: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/crim...23a32eaf7.html

Federal law establishes two categories of people who can be prohibited from buying a gun because of their mental incompetence. They are:

• Those who have been incarcerated in a mental health facility against their will.
• Those who have been accused of a crime and found mentally incompetent to stand trial.

Otherwise, in Arizona, there is little to stop even an adult who seems mentally unstable from buying a gun.

I also just read an interesting interview with a friend of Loughner's: http://motherjones.com/politics/2011...-phone-message

I am curious to know what his friends and family saw in him before these events. We all know someone who is a bit "off", but how do you know if they are going to lose it completely? Do we have a responsibility to watch over our friends' behavior? And report it?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Fire Giant

Why does everyone "need" a gun? Besides of course keeping the king of England out of your face.

<< Hassel the Hoff - Druid of the 55th Grind >>
<< Kassel the Koff - Monk of the 52st Train >>
Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Sarnak

An armed society is a polite society.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Kobold

So if the world goes all 'Mad Max' on us we can defend our food and water...
Old 01-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Sarnak

I was going to write something intelligent and pithy, but, somehow, I just can't stop watching Peachtree's avatar....

Aarone - Paladin o' Brell

"Tempus Fugit. Memento Mori."
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why does everyone "need" a gun? Besides of course keeping the king of England out of your face.
Moving to Tucson a few years ago coming from Canada was a big change politically for me and it took awhile for me to get used to the fact that many people here love to carry weapons. I still remember feeling uneasy the first time I saw a biker with a gun on his belt a couple days after I moved here.

After many conversations with people, most of which are conservatives, I learned that even crazy people have the right to defend themselves against other crazy people.

I will never understand peoples fascination with guns but it is the way things are here. Gun control will never happen. They recently removed the permit that was required to conceal a weapon.

My old boss worked around the store with a gun on his belt. Several employees brought loaded weapons into work and keep them near their computer. It is a small IT company I don't know why everyone needed to be armed.

The response you will hear from people will probably be that if more people were armed at that event it probably wouldn't have gone as bad as it did.

Moving back to my freezing cold homeland has been getting more and more tempting.

Asher
Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Fire Giant

Come back home Asher, come back home.

I am defiantly not big "gun control" guy, but i do not understand why the IT guy "needs" an easy way to kill anyone sitting on his hip. Sure enjoy your rifle and shot gun for recreation needs, but hand guns have very little purpose other than to kill humans.

Oh well.

<< Hassel the Hoff - Druid of the 55th Grind >>
<< Kassel the Koff - Monk of the 52st Train >>
Old 01-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Fire Giant

I will amend, they have very little purpose other then to kill. But I do agree, it seems war has been the catalyst, or the need to kill each other better for the main part of weapons advancement.
Closed Thread