Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default New player with some questions

I've decided to pick up and play Project 1999 a bit. This will be my first time playing classic EQ in a very long time. My only worry is that I won't be able to get into the game again since the play style is so hardcore. I've got a couple of questions maybe some of the vets of the server can answer:

1. I only have minimal time to play each chance I get. I don't mind playing in groups, but I don't want to log in and have to wait to find someone. I'd like to play a class that has some solo capability. I prefer melee over casters but will play either. I've never been very good at kiting though, so I'd like to avoid that.

2. How much of an investment is leveling a character on this sever. I remember in classic EQ it seemed to take FOREVER to level.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:13 AM
Kobold

Melee in general are gear-dependent, which means hard to solo without amazing equipment or outside buffs. You'd probably have far better success if you can find a duo partner. For solo, monk would probably be your best bet here.

Kiting (as in snare+dot) has been nerfed so it's not really a good way to level (mobs take reduced dot damage if they are chasing you)

Probably the best solo-oriented choices without kiting would be Necromancer (pet, snare, fear, dots), Druid (animal charm), Enchanter (charm)
Old 06-07-2014, 03:40 AM
Planar Protector

I've been playing here for a little over a week. The key to enjoying p99 is to just play what you want to play. Make friends and take it easy. I have found the game vibrantly active even at the low level. It's much better than live.

The server is top heavy but the lack of boxing means there are plenty of alts to play with. At low levels if your class can manage it - start near EC. Its a big hub zone and there is no shortage of rich folk to sell TS gear and quest gear to. As a WE bard I left crusbone for EC as soon as I had sold enough CB belts to buy all my kelethin specific songs and havent looked back since. I took my pre-15 levels slower as ironically these are ideal levels in the current economy to stockpile gear for a good starter kit. If I was patient I could get 10p per orc scalp and 8p per belt. It was enough to have a 9/19 weapon, 6/19 weapon, and a full set of visible fine steel by level 14 as well as cash for songs into my 40s. Any calss can do this.

Do not be scared off from any class to be honest. Play what you want and level at your own pace. You dont need to be a leet soloer to enjoy eq, nor do you need to be anywhere near max level.

I held off on even learning how to ae kite until after 20 and still only do it while im killing time actively looking for a group.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:46 AM
Planar Protector

I would recommend a caster for your first class (thinking necro/mage here). Even if you aren't in love with the class, you can solo up to around 30 or so with minimal gear. In that time you will gather the plat to gear out the melee char or your choice.
Good luck friend.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:57 AM
Planar Protector

Unlike most I actually have fond memories circa 2000 of playing a melee class from stark naked and rocking cloth and a cracked staff until I had scraped up enough to start buying banded 1piece at a time. It was also thanks to this that I managed to keep bind wound maxed. The game was designed to be approached in this manner.

I dont see the value in playing a class you dont want to plqy solely so you can finance the class you want to be later.

As an aside, the community here is generous. If people see non twinked lowbies running around, its not uncommon to get unexpected aid along the way. My first HQ bear pelt I was selling at market value to a high level tailor was followed on with a few lower end melee items after he inspected me and saw I wasnt just another low level twink.

Play what you want first and foremost. Money and gear come naturally with levels.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:39 AM
Planar Protector

ranger is a good choice for someone with your proposed schedule. it will take awhile, no doubt.

it might be a good idea for you to invest a large amount of time up front to group up so that you can get to the teens or twenties, where the game really opens up.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnasP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would recommend a caster for your first class (thinking necro/mage here). Even if you aren't in love with the class, you can solo up to around 30 or so with minimal gear. In that time you will gather the plat to gear out the melee char or your choice.
Good luck friend.
This. Shaman and ench also excellent choices. If you want a melee that will be able to farm some monk is prolly your best option then. Welcome to the server!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Aviak

Leveling does take forever, and that is why I love EQ, specifically P99 and this community. No need to rush to max level, seems there is not much fun there, but from level 1 to 20, I have always been able to form or join a group on any given night.

The real joy has been the people!
Old 06-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Skeleton

Send me a message in game, I'll hook you up with a decent weapon for your level..
Old 06-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Planar Protector

Hard to argue against a necro, you can solo as you like and lfg when you have a little more time or want the company.

Also necros can literally level naked if it came to it, gear helps but its not required if you're attentive.
Closed Thread