Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-20-2022, 06:22 AM
Large Rat

Unhappy Error 1017: Cannot login to the Everquest server.

"Error 1017: Cannot login to the Everquest server. You may need to re-run the Update Patch. Repeatedly seeing this message indicates a loss of connectivity to the Patch Server. This is usually temporary."

Anyone know how to fix this? I'm on a new PC, fresh EQ install. I've successfully done the install a half dozen or more times in the past and haven't had this issue before. I checked a ton of threads and they mentioned CPU speed and the need to underclock.

I was able to log in if I go into my BIOS and underclock to beneath 3.8 GHz or so, but having to restart my computer every time I want to play EverQuest and then reset it when I'm gonna do something else sounds horrible. I've tried underclocking with various software methods like "Ryzen Master", "Blazing OC Tuner", but nothing except going into BIOS has worked so far. I've tried setting eqgame.exe to run as admin, tried setting compatibility to various values including sp2, sp3, win98, still nothing.

Nothing except changing my clock speed in BIOS has worked. I read in a thread it might be possible to create an underclocked virtual machine or maybe install EQ onto a flash drive or something, but I haven't tried those yet.. I'm really really hoping there's maybe a setting somewhere I can change to fix & forget this.

Ryzen 9 7900x 12-core 4.70 GHz processor, ASRock X670E Steel Legend motherboard, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB DDR5 6000 ram.

Screenshot 2022-10-18 031305.png

Thanks
Old 10-21-2022, 08:50 PM
Large Rat

I am suddenly having this problem as well! I was able to log in fine up to about an hour ago, now I get Error 1017. A fix or workaround would be nice.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:11 AM
Planar Protector

Having to reboot (to reduce your clock speed) before playing isn't necessarily a bad thing. A similar 32-bit overflow exists in the game where after ~ 4.2 billion milliseconds of uptime other things stop working, like mouseover text, or holding alt to see your spell gem names, etc. The only fix for this is to reboot (not a fast startup enabled reboot!).

Plus everyone should be patching monthly anyway.

-Mcoy
Old 10-23-2022, 10:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Hello, getting the same error when trying to log into blue or green servers. After clicking on either of those servers, the EQ window goes into "not responding", then returns me to the login screen. After logging back in, I get the 1017 error - worded same as posted above.
Can log into the other preferred servers such as FVP (Firiona Vie Project), or Dragon Soul no problem. Any ideas?
Old 10-31-2022, 12:18 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCCLXXVI [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Error 1017: Cannot login to the Everquest server. You may need to re-run the Update Patch. Repeatedly seeing this message indicates a loss of connectivity to the Patch Server. This is usually temporary."

Anyone know how to fix this? I'm on a new PC, fresh EQ install. I've successfully done the install a half dozen or more times in the past and haven't had this issue before. I checked a ton of threads and they mentioned CPU speed and the need to underclock.

I was able to log in if I go into my BIOS and underclock to beneath 3.8 GHz or so, but having to restart my computer every time I want to play EverQuest and then reset it when I'm gonna do something else sounds horrible. I've tried underclocking with various software methods like "Ryzen Master", "Blazing OC Tuner", but nothing except going into BIOS has worked so far. I've tried setting eqgame.exe to run as admin, tried setting compatibility to various values including sp2, sp3, win98, still nothing.

Nothing except changing my clock speed in BIOS has worked. I read in a thread it might be possible to create an underclocked virtual machine or maybe install EQ onto a flash drive or something, but I haven't tried those yet.. I'm really really hoping there's maybe a setting somewhere I can change to fix & forget this.

Ryzen 9 7900x 12-core 4.70 GHz processor, ASRock X670E Steel Legend motherboard, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB DDR5 6000 ram.

Attachment 19238

Thanks

Damn I literally just built up the same exact system Mobo and CPU you have and im having a similar problem. Let me know if you figure out how to fix it with out the reboot. I tried setting up a power profile which does limit the processor speed. But doesnt seem to fix the issue.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:55 PM
Sarnak

Can confirm this is not a "restart" issue. cannot login
Old 11-03-2022, 11:52 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

If your having trouble with this. Im curious the processor and clock its running at?
Old 11-03-2022, 06:24 PM
Large Rat

I can't remember what I set my BIOS to, I think either 4.0 or 4.1, but my CPU is currently running at 3889.50 MHZ. This is the only solution I've found. I was hoping there was some game or computer setting I could've just switched on, like something similar to compatibility mode. If anyone knows of a better way to get around this, please let us know!!
Old 11-03-2022, 06:40 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCCLXXVI [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Attachment 19238

Thanks
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43443

I'd probably stop freaking out that this has to do with your PC and more to do with someone else's hardware and network. have fun with your underclock
Old 11-13-2022, 11:21 PM
Skeleton

Just upgraded my CPU/mobo/RAM from a rather old 3570k to a 7700X, Gigabyte Aurous 650M, and the same RAM kit as you. I however did not reinstall windows nor EQ, so same previously working p99 install. Now I am getting precisely the same problem as you.

Tried the CPU affinity fix, and tried underclocking both RAM and CPU with no luck on either so far :/

Small nuance in my error though. I launch p99, log in, select server, press play . . . and then it kicks me back to the log in screen. However only if I try to do this again at this point do I get the 1017 error.

Edit: I was able to get this to work by underclocking to 3.8 ghz **IN BIOS**, not Ryzen Master software. Got the idea from https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=326354
Last edited by atomos; 11-13-2022 at 11:36 PM..