Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 03-08-2024, 02:05 AM
Banned

Default Things the original devs expected

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We've heard a lot of talk over the years about game behaviors players came up with that the devs did not anticipate. I'll list them non-exhaustively for context.
  • Kiting
  • Feign Death pulling
  • Raiding
  • Camping named placeholders for loot

Feel free to add to this list but stick to the main point, which follows:

What player behaviors did the designers expect and extract all the gelt they could from by way of subscriptions?
Old 03-08-2024, 02:53 AM
Planar Protector

it's sounding like they expected us to only ever kill a mob with a full 6 man group, tank and spank the whole way, and to forever wonder in amazement about the high level red con mobs with special names.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:48 AM
Banned

You should be able to get quests from Lord Nagefen and side with the goblins against the city leaders and guards.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:12 AM
Planar Protector

It seems they expected players to form raids on opposing city leaders. Some of them have quite detailed mechanics and faction hits but no loot (for comparison dragons were originally unitemised too).

I reckon they realised it was a bad idea - for a new player to log in for the first time and their city is in chaos - that would be a bad experience. I’m glad they found a way to reintroduce the idea with a less disruptive implementation in Velious.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 03-08-2024, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

batphoning raid mobs at 2:30am
Old 03-08-2024, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

I have a hard time devs didn't anticipate some of these things, what are we basing this off of?
Old 03-08-2024, 11:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a hard time devs didn't anticipate some of these things, what are we basing this off of?
Somewhere is a dev quote people always refer to that states the devs thought FD was an escape ability if you think you're losing the fight, and they were surprised when players used it to split mobs, but they didn't nerf it because they thought it was cool. But I don't know where that quote can be found.

And about kiting, I don't know, but one clue is that they nerfed DOT damage when the mob was chasing someone. That indicates DOT-kiting was working out too well and had to be nerfed.

But I hope someone finds sources for these claims, because we might just be making assumptions.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:03 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgasari [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We've heard a lot of talk over the years about game behaviors players came up with that the devs did not anticipate. I'll list them non-exhaustively for context.
  • Kiting
  • Feign Death pulling
  • Raiding
  • Camping named placeholders for loot

Feel free to add to this list but stick to the main point, which follows:

What player behaviors did the designers expect and extract all the gelt they could from by way of subscriptions?
I can buy most of these, especially camping, the original devs probably were surprised by the popularity of the game and the willingness of players to stay logged on for days/weeks at a time (or account share, whatever). But raiding? I mean, what would be the point of guilds if not to get 50-100+ players on at the same time in order to zerg red cons?
Old 03-09-2024, 01:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rader [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can buy most of these, especially camping, the original devs probably were surprised by the popularity of the game and the willingness of players to stay logged on for days/weeks at a time (or account share, whatever). But raiding? I mean, what would be the point of guilds if not to get 50-100+ players on at the same time in order to zerg red cons?
Dude, Goldshire. 😎