Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

Default US Library of Congress grants DMCA exception for preserving online games

https://massivelyop.com/2018/10/26/u...-online-games/

Halloween 2015 event: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/23440971

PL service
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=313502
Old 10-30-2018, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

So, does this mean you can go out and put up a City of Heroes or Matrix Online emulator free and clear under no threat of legal action? Well, not unless you’re a museum/archivist doing so for provably preservative purposes or you’re content to play with just yourself. Here’s the relevant bit from the filing in the Library of Congress made public today.

“(i) Video games in the form of computer programs embodied in physical or downloaded formats that have been lawfully acquired as complete games, when the copyright owner or its authorized representative has ceased to provide access to an external computer server necessary to facilitate an authentication process to enable gameplay, solely for the purpose of:

(A) Permitting access to the video game to allow copying and modification of the computer program to restore access to the game for personal, local gameplay on a personal computer or video game console; or

(B) Permitting access to the video game to allow copying and modification of the computer program to restore access to the game on a personal computer or video game console when necessary to allow preservation of the game in a playable form by an eligible library, archives, or museum, where such activities are carried out without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage and the video game is not distributed or made available outside of the physical premises of the eligible library, archives, or museum.”

Step forward in the right direction.

Halloween 2015 event: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/23440971

PL service
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=313502
Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(B) Permitting access to the video game to allow copying and modification of the computer program to restore access to the game on a personal computer or video game console when necessary to allow preservation of the game in a playable form by an eligible library, archives, or museum, where such activities are carried out without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage and the video game is not distributed or made available outside of the physical premises of the eligible library, archives, or museum.”
While the language isn't exactly geared towards MMOGs, it seems like if P99 could be classified as an "eligible library, archives, or museum" the entire project would be in the clear.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:50 AM
Banned

Thanks Trump
Old 10-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaringChildren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks Trump
Old 10-30-2018, 12:29 PM
Banned

my President exempted me from the draft
Old 10-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaringChildren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks Trump
Quote:
On February 24, 2016, President Barack Obama nominated Hayden to serve as the next Librarian of Congress.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:57 PM
Banned

Yeah but Trump is a fascist, so he forced Hayden at gun point to do this.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Thanks Trump
I'm not holding my breath for an emu of City of Heroes / Villains making the rounds anytime soon. It would be amazing if it happened though.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not holding my breath for an emu of City of Heroes / Villains making the rounds anytime soon. It would be amazing if it happened though.
https://cityoftitans.com/
Closed Thread