Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitVelvetSmooth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ventrilo = not classic.
You're right, we all used Roger Wilco back in the day.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Sarnak

dozekar use vent?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Planar Protector

You think playing EQ while deaf is difficult? Just wait until I start recruiting for < Yendor's Raid Guild for the Blind >

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 01-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I assume you and your deaf friend went about the situation poorly.
My friend was instructed to get in vent or get guild removed. His reply was " i will leave" he was then guildremoved. He didnt handle the situation correctly because he should not have applied to a guild where vent is required. That is the issue, a guild that doesnt require vent. He wasnt booted for being deaf.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would argue the opposite. Any raid guild that does not require ventrilo is doomed to fail from the beginning. The amount of time you save communicating via speech compared to typing is invaluable. Voice chat also creates stronger bonds among guildmates. The proliferation of ventrilo is one of the only positive things that have happened to MMOs recently.

I've already turned down more than one applicant who told me they refused to use ventrilo. However, even I would make an exception for someone who was deaf, granted they knew what they were doing and were good at the game.

I assume you and your deaf friend went about the situation poorly.
You didn't argue the opposite, in fact you said the same thing I did. I didn't say not to use vent, I said any guild leader worth a lick will make exceptions (For good players)
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Sarnak

its kind of sad that people have forgotten how to raid with out vent, my guild did just fine w/o vent back in the day, and I would imagine most guilds would do just fine now w/o vent if they weren't too lazy to try.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My friend was instructed to get in vent or get guild removed. His reply was " i will leave" he was then guildremoved. He didnt handle the situation correctly because he should not have applied to a guild where vent is required. That is the issue, a guild that doesnt require vent. He wasnt booted for being deaf.
Uh to be honest it sounds like your friend was being purposely vague so he could feel self righteous in his refusal and subsequent removal maybe? Why wouldn't he tell them he was deaf? This makes no sense to me at all.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So the deaf person decided to remain silent about being deaf to the guild, but had no problems with it getting posted on the forums?

Instead of complaining, you should have just explained yourself in the first place. Yo im deaf, cant use vent you idiots. < that would have been fine.

now you come to the forums for sympathy... that's just sad.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Aviak

Retan, your friend will have difficulty finding a raiding guild that doesn't rely on voice chat when raiding. However, I sincerely doubt he would be rejected from a guild that was made aware of his situation. It's understandable that he may feel uncomfortable sharing information about his disability here, but in this situation he will need to advocate for himself if he wants access to this portion of P1999's gameplay.

It would be a small thing for a guild to task one player on a raid with the responsibility to relay crucial information broadcast over voice chat into /g for hearing impaired players. In fact, I really love this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeatee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its kind of sad that people have forgotten how to raid with out vent, my guild did just fine w/o vent back in the day, and I would imagine most guilds would do just fine now w/o vent if they weren't too lazy to try.
Your scathing disapproval aside, what reason would a group of players have for completely ignoring modern conventions and the advantages they offer?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're right, we all used Roger Wilco back in the day.

We typed when i played.... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread