Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 10-16-2022, 08:23 AM
Planar Protector

Default How was /list received on Green?

I didn't play much when Green first launched so I didn't get to experience the /list system personally, but it sounded reasonable to me.

A few days ago I was camping Verix and I was told to type /list because otherwise I guess someone else could come in and /list themselves and get the loot even though I was the one killing/camping the mob? I'm still not 100% sure how it works.

So this was my first experience with /list and it wasn't exactly positive. The AFK checks occurred way too frequently, there were no messages in chat so I couldn't set up any audio warnings in GINA, and sometimes it'd tell me to type stuff in chat and never give me any response as to whether I did it correctly or not.

I could see this becoming really annoying if I was camping something like a manastone. Normally I'd be able to AFK for 28 minutes between spawns to go make food or whatever, but the /list system seems to just make camping a lot more inconvenient with these random and frequent AFK checks. Why would it matter if I go AFK for 5 minutes in the middle of a mob's respawn, especially if I'm one of the people just waiting on the camp to open up?

If you fail one of these checks, do you just get kicked potentially 10+ hours to the back of the line? Now I'm a bit weary of using this system if a new fresh server launches without any changes to it.
Old 10-16-2022, 10:15 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah. That's the point. It was the only way to stop pricks from monopolizing certain drops, which still happened for some non list items like Summon Corpse and that thing from the Klicnik Queen in MT and NQey
Old 10-16-2022, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

/list 1.0 (as I like to call it) was an amazing innovation.

You have to understand, the only alternatives to it were letting the players handle extremely popular camps like Guise or Manastone on their own (imagine the clusterfuck that would be), or assigning a GM full-time to monitor those camps (which our 100% volunteer project doesn't have the staff to do).

But ... this was their first attempt at "automated GMing", and as you noted it had some rough edges. Personally, my favorite idea for "/list 2.0" is a simple one: make every list random. You get on the list, wait until the mob spawns, and then when the current "top of the list" gets their item, everyone on the list has a chance to randomly become the new "top".

No more AFK checks. No more trading accounts so you can keep a character logged in for a week. No more going days without sleep because you don't know anyone to trade with.

And (most importantly of all, in my opinion), it makes this place more classic. There was nothing on live where you were guaranteed loot in exchange for waiting: that's not how EverQuest is played! Instead, you'd have (essentially) the same thing as in the rest of the game: you show up at a camp, hope to be lucky, and if you aren't lucky ... you keep showing up.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah I support the motive behind /list. The issue that I think I have with it is that it seems to punish casual players over more hardcore players since it essentially requires you to sit there with your eyes glued to the screen for hours, when normally you would be able to safely AFK between spawns at a camp.

I'm not sure why the AFK checks have to occur more often than once every 28 minutes at a camp with a 28 minute respawn.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:02 PM
Fire Giant

I liked the idea of /list. The only camp I really went for with it active were the Jboots when they were a Najena drop, but it felt good knowing that I actually had a chance at it without worrying about whether a top guild was going to control the spawn.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:33 PM
Planar Protector

Best of a list of terrible ideas, excuse the pun.

Every other idea suggested so far has been even worse. Such is life in Norrath.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:53 PM
Fire Giant

The system was abused by automation to be honest. It's the dirty secret of it and this has been mentioned several times. List actually encourages cheating.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:26 PM
Large Bat

The /list system is terrible. Like was mentioned above, people figured out how to automate the /afk checks so that they could just get on the list and only be active when they were #1 (if even then).

It also forced a situation where people could /list with toons that wouldn't be capable of clearing the camp on their own, but the folks below them on the list would have to clear it for them in order to keep the list moving and have a shot at their item. The beads camp was a good example of this.

In some locations (mostly VP key mobs, but also beads) the limit of the /list area also didn't cover the spawn area of the mobs that dropped the listed item. Imagine being #1 on the beads list but not being able to leave the cave to pull the 7-8 possible spawns close-by for fear of your list timer ticking down.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:59 AM
Sarnak

/List was a terrible system and fee if anyone I talked to in-game liked it.

It DID succeed at keeping guilds like Seal Team from perma-monopolizing the camp. Everything else about it sucked.

Since you were unable to leave and the drop rates (non-classic I’d wager) were so low it promoted unhealthy if not downright dangerous gameplay sessions for anyone who didn’t account share or cheat (which people did).

It’d have been better had time or number of kills been saved so that you could take a break and return later. This whole system is entirely non-classic anyway.

Currently the list system serves no purpose and is 100% determinental to the game. Why should we have to click checkboxes as VS camp or /list up when we wanna group at Verix?

Please get rid of /list.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:40 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah one thing I think we could all agree on is those existing lists for VP key items, especially Verix, should be deleted at this stage.