Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 03-16-2023, 03:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockscar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While the heal debuff is dispellable, it is by no means consistent. I've been the healer in groups on my necro and Cancel Magic gives at best a 50% chance to dispel the first debuff slot. Half the time, it just won't dispel it even if it's in the first slot--and then it will instead dispel the next debuff, which means that on top of being saddled with a 125/tick self-dot, you also have to eschew any other buffs. No HP buff, no regen, you'll even dispel your own leech recourse half the time. So while Shadowbond self-dot can technically be dispelled, it's not as simple as saying you can just remove the debuff and avoid the degen. There's a number of caveats to that. At a minimum, you'll be operating completely unbuffed while saddling yourself with a 500-damage dot at regular intervals when you probably have something like 1k-1.2k HP unbuffed. It's not comfortable at all.

To be quite frank, while it is possible for a necro to keep a group alive if the content is very easy, there is a reason nobody wants to run with that. It's too much of a hassle and too likely to result in some random person's death because all the necro can do is maintain a mediocre HoT on a single target at a time.
I have pretty good luck with annul magic/junk buffs
Old 03-16-2023, 03:58 PM
Sarnak

Then you need multiple instant clickies. Bit of a barrier of entry for a venue of gameplay that already isn't particularly great. But if you do have 2-3 instants, and are willing to spend 1-2x 75 mana to dispel the Shadowbond recourse, it can work. It's just still going to take two casts half the time, and then you're still taking about half of the reverse HoT's damage. Like I said, it can sustain a group that's already crushing the content and just needs to counteract the miniscule damage that the tank takes, but if anything ever goes wrong, it all goes to shit because all a necro can do is apply a 125/tick HoT to a single target every 24 seconds. It is not an actual healer. I've done it myself and it's got a very limited window of viability.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:18 PM
Fire Giant

Necro heals work well in small groups. Enc/Necro duo is very strong, necro heals are enough for that sort of thing.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

Necro heals are OP.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

With vexxing mordina it makes healing a lot more viable late game as you can cast 2 shadowbonds with the leech still active. I agree that dispelling Recourse is a fools errand. For any sort of XP expedition a necro is one of the best possible groupmates to have for a wide variety of reasons

1) Can off-tank heal the group like no one else in the game
2) Can main-tank heal if the content isnt too tough or good CC, but I contend necro heal is better with a priest, particularly the synergy with Shaman
3) Paralyzing Earth is the best root in the game
4) Pump mana to Knights and casters
5) Snare/FD for easy initial splitting (don't recommend a necro being a main puller)
6) Can rez
7) Backstab pet and EoT both do great damage (plus high end necro tap hits 700+ damage)
8) Charm in most high end Kunark dungeons - HS/Seb/Chardok/KC
9) non-gear dependant class
10) Best class in the game
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 03-23-2023, 10:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With vexxing mordina it makes healing a lot more viable late game as you can cast 2 shadowbonds with the leech still active. I agree that dispelling Recourse is a fools errand. For any sort of XP expedition a necro is one of the best possible groupmates to have for a wide variety of reasons

1) Can off-tank heal the group like no one else in the game
2) Can main-tank heal if the content isnt too tough or good CC, but I contend necro heal is better with a priest, particularly the synergy with Shaman
3) Paralyzing Earth is the best root in the game
4) Pump mana to Knights and casters
5) Snare/FD for easy initial splitting (don't recommend a necro being a main puller)
6) Can rez
7) Backstab pet and EoT both do great damage (plus high end necro tap hits 700+ damage)
8) Charm in most high end Kunark dungeons - HS/Seb/Chardok/KC
9) non-gear dependant class
10) Best class in the game
buT i wAnT To sIt AfK LikE maGe
Old 04-03-2023, 02:23 PM
Fire Giant

Can anyone confirm that you don't lose HP to Shadowbond DoT if you FD?
Old 04-03-2023, 05:02 PM
Fire Giant

Like all things grouping and healing. Healing is the least efficient thing you can do in a group, on any class.

Remove the damage being done. CC, limit pulls, dispel hastes, stun ice comets etc.

Necros do fine. As they have fantastic tools to CC including ST, root, a pet to offtank while you root etc. Let alone being able to dark and fear mobs for nearly no mana to prevent casters slowing etc.

It's a strictly few set of circumstances when 'healing' is the best job to do for any healer.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockscar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While the heal debuff is dispellable, it is by no means consistent. I've been the healer in groups on my necro and Cancel Magic gives at best a 50% chance to dispel the first debuff slot. Half the time, it just won't dispel it even if it's in the first slot--and then it will instead dispel the next debuff, which means that on top of being saddled with a 125/tick self-dot, you also have to eschew any other buffs. No HP buff, no regen, you'll even dispel your own leech recourse half the time. So while Shadowbond self-dot can technically be dispelled, it's not as simple as saying you can just remove the debuff and avoid the degen. There's a number of caveats to that. At a minimum, you'll be operating completely unbuffed while saddling yourself with a 500-damage dot at regular intervals when you probably have something like 1k-1.2k HP unbuffed. It's not comfortable at all.

To be quite frank, while it is possible for a necro to keep a group alive if the content is very easy, there is a reason nobody wants to run with that. It's too much of a hassle and too likely to result in some random person's death because all the necro can do is maintain a mediocre HoT on a single target at a time.
You just spent two paragraphs to explain you don't know how dispells work, and you're bad at eq.

2 junk. Click 1 junk. Shadowbond. Annul self. Redo two junks.

Almost everyone has jboots even from moderate levels. You can do book of sould quest in literally minutes. Bam. Let alone ring 8/9, see invis bracer, or just using lich/demi lich as one of those junks etc which cost 0 mana.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Bard + necro can heal 95% of group content

hope this helps