Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-16-2015, 11:39 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menemas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your guide worked perfectly on the first attempt! Thank you very much. I've been struggling on and off for a few years trying different methods. Very happy to find success. GOODBYE WINDOWS! YOU SUCK!
I am glad to here you got it working!

Side note: I mentioned above that I was testing Lavishsofts WinEQ2 linked in the getting started guide. - http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

It works great. After taking the steps in the guide, I downloaded WinEQ2 from the getting started guide and then ran it as an exe in the same configuration where I have Project 1999 in PlayOnLinux. I installed it into the drive_c beside the EQ folder. I then used PlayOnLinux to create a shortcut, and now I just run the WinEQ2 and it opens up my virtual desktop and then I right-click on it and run EQ and it automatically does the patchme and runs P99.

I only did this because I was running into issues where my laptop was getting too hot when I played with it plugged in (it's an old machine) and WinEQ2 allows me to control the CPU usage that EQ needs with the built-in EQPlayNice. If anyone tries this and has questions on it, let me know and I can write it out in a more detailed manner.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Fire Giant

Sorry for this being a of a necro, but this was the only guide that helped me fully install Linux on Lubuntu. My question is if any one knows why the dinput8.dll needs to be replaced?

That link leads to several versions, so I grabbed one randomly and though I could login I could not get slashes (////) on my keyboard, had to delete everything and reinstall

After that though I could log in no problem, and no slash keyboard issues I got a weird issue with mouselook locking me up in a weird tunnel vission which kinda gets fixed on fullscreen but then my mouse look borks up and I get doing ultra turbon spins haha.

Just wondering if that dinput8.dll is the culprit? there are so many of them.

Stil an awesome installation guide, much better than the others, worked almost flawlessly on Lubuntu 17.10.
Last edited by Vormotus; 04-11-2018 at 07:00 PM..
Old 04-11-2018, 11:01 PM
Fire Giant

Small Update, after trying several of the dinput8.dlls , I found version 10.0.15063.608 , to be so far, the best without strange side effects on keyboard as I have a local spanish wireless microsoft keyboard.

Can get ///// slashes now no problem and no more strange mouselook limited field of views.

As a very small sidenote, the mouselook issues only begin whenever I begin switching chars and switch between fullscreen/windowed mode regardless of what dlls I change.

Must be a Wine Issue, but at least with that dll I can type again no problem.

Hope it helps other people.

Cheers!
Old 10-01-2018, 04:55 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakmojo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Appears my problem was that DSETUP.dll did not properly replace dsetup.dll due to Linux case-sensitivity.
After I renamed my DSETUP.dll to dsetup.dll my client ran properly.
Hey, I found that I had BOTH DSETUP.dll and dsetup.dll.
I'm waiting for the thing to patch again to see if the removal of DSETUP.dll fixed it. Whether it worked or not, thank you for the hint!
Old 05-31-2022, 08:34 PM
Skeleton

Anyone try this recently and have issues? I followed the instructions but once you try to configure and install vc runtimes it just says please wait, forever.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:14 PM
Fire Giant

This is my third iteration of playing P99 on linux and will post here for those that might have still issues.

I have other guides for the old Lubuntu 17 and the 18.10 , right now on version 21.04 and this time I found out that due to the advances in wine+lutris it is even easier THAN EVER to play on linux.

If you have any modern distro, like Ubuntu (and variants like my fav Lubuntu) or Mint , you can install LUTRIS right away.

Lutris will automate everything for you.

All you need is the game client patched with the latest P99 files, install it anywhere you like within your HD and then point Lutris to it.

Once you install lutris using your distro software/package management software (in Lubuntu it is called Discover) Load it up and press the + symbol

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Once that is clicked a new windows will pop up:

Fill these particular sections like this:

On Executable look within your folders for the EQ client and point it to the "/Launch Titanium.bat" location

On Wine Prefix point a location different from where the client is installed, in my case I installed the client to /Games/MMOS/EQ/P99 , so I pointed the wine prefix (the location for the virtual windows directory emulator) to /Games/MMOS/EQ/P99WINEPREFIX , which is a way to create a particular wine prefix different from all other games in wine I have already installed.

This is a good way to keep all your wine prefixes separated as each game needs special tweaks, dlls and packs and helps with troubleshooting. If you think I am speaking in Blackburrow Gnollish, then just focus on pointing lutris to a differnt location like I said before.

After that do this to make sure you can ALT Tab out of P99 to browse the wiki, forums or watch netflix in the same monitor iwithout issues:

On this tab, enable the WINDOWED Version and a bit below set the resolution you want. This will force the game to run within a windowed environment.

As you can see as my resolution is widescreen 2560x1080 I set it to that but you can change it to whatever your monitor resolution is right now. Most people with normal monitors in 2022 should have 1920x1080 as the standard, but thats just a suggestion, you should know which resolution is yours.

Once you do that the game will be super easy to Alt Tab (If I dont do this every single time I alt tab game borks up, so this worked for me) and play without issues.

There is no need to do anything different except those particular tabs. Please check that at the time of writing this the latest wine stable version for lutris is 7.2 .

But EQ has worked for me with many other versions. It has worked for me with 5.7 , 6.0 and 7.1 as well. If for some reason 7.2 does not work for you you can try those as well if you can find them.

A final word. Midi still has issues for me under Wine (this is due to the way my integrated sound card is , and this might happen to you as well) , even after trying to make it sound via wine through ALSA, so I had to fall back to my very own walkthrough for Lubuntu 17.10 which you can find here: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=295681

If you read it, you can install Qsynth, a midi Fuidsynth frontend for Linux and then use a soundfont file to make mid files sound. You need to launch it before P99 also, else it wont work [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And that should be all. Lutris by itself does most of the heavy lifting and you could playing in P99 quickly without the need to be a Microsoft slave haha.

Love to everybody!
----------------------------------
[center]
Last edited by Vormotus; 06-06-2022 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Fixes, typos etc.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

just put Lubuntu on my newer chromebook, got lutris installed as well but for some reason it keeps saying spelltext is out of date even though I've updated them to the v56 files.

edit:
twas that ol dsetup.dll needing to b e DSETUP.. disregard.
Last edited by Tann; 12-01-2022 at 01:06 PM..
Old 03-18-2023, 08:01 AM
Kobold

I've had p1999 and lutris running for a while now with zero problem and out of nowhere this morning "no 3d card found" or something. love it when it works, it's pulling pubes when it's not.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:06 PM
Large Rat

I'm having mouse issues in Fedora 38. My vertical mouselook speed is fine, but my horizontal speed is annoying slow. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks.