Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-22-2021, 04:58 PM
Large Rat

Default Mouse acceleration?

Is there perchance some way to adjust the proportions between vertical and horizontal mouse acceleration?

Vertical is fast, horizontal is annoyingly slow, so I have to do retakes again and again when panning. Unless I set the total speed so fast that it violently jerks vertically instead, making the gameplay spastic.

I do run in wine/Linux which I guess may affect things, but I'm hoping for some eqclient.ini tweak that I can't find...

It is not a performance issue, I have a recent rig and cap fps down to 144 Hz.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2021, 04:03 PM
Fire Giant

I had this same issue, I fixed it but I am trying to remember how.

I think it was a mix of Look Spring and Mouse speed, my mouse look sensitivity is at 28%. Maybe I edited the eqclient.ini but I don't think so. I know Titanium was made for more like 1024x768 so if you go to a Full Screen resolution like 1024x768 it should go away, I think maybe the Look Spring option was to deal with the fact that people were use to full screen res so wide screen was weird for people so they needed a look spring? Everything was experimental back then lol.

I feel like I did something else though ill try to remember but I seem to remember turning Look Spring off helped. Also before they capped FPS at 60, having my FPS over 60 would cause issues like this too.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:11 PM
Fire Giant

Ya I think it's Look Spring + the in game mouse speed options, then kinda mess with your windows Mouse Properties a bit to find your medium maybe. But I think Look Spring is the big one.

Also. FPS issues tend to compound the issue a bit. Id force Low Latency mode on your GPU for EQgame.exe and try some optimization. It took a long time to configure my Titanium to run good lol.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:28 PM
Large Rat

Well, Look Spring was off and I turned it ON, and the difference was slight but I feel it did actually improve things. May be imagining things.

I'm running at 100% mouse acceleration, four bars (max speed) on my Evoluent Vertical mouse, and that is almost fast enough laterally, a bit too fast vertically. Mouse speed almost zero in the Ubuntu/Gnome settings.

Running at 2560x1440 @ 144 fps full screen. Funny how the difference from Back Then is not as large as one may think. I remember getting like 25 fps from a 3dfx Banshee...

Thank you very much for answering!
Old 04-24-2021, 07:14 PM
Fire Giant

No worries, Ahh Linux i skipped over that part And a Vertical Mouse! I remember having a Voodoo 3dfx! Geforce 2 was my first upgrade but I was way way behind just getting everyones handed down hardware so I didn't know anything about 20fps till I was like 15 lol.

in Mouse settings for Linux your Mouse Acceleration is at 100%? Or 100% ingame under Mouse in Options?

Just for Clarification, the Ingame Mouselook Sensitivity is look speed so when you got Right Mouse Button pressed down and are looking which I have at 28%.

Also some EQClient.ini things that are set on my end, maybe I modified these years ago but I am not sure but just in case.

MousePointerSpeedMod=0
MouseSensitivity=3 (this is actually MouseLook Sensitivity)
MouseActive=1
MouseWheelZoom=1

My Windows Mouse speed is 4 out of 11 notches. With Enchances Mouse Precision ON.

I'm also playing at 1440p. You are playing on P99? The FPS is Locked to 60fps, Soon as you join the server it caps it to 60fps. Which is why I mention forcing Low Latency on EQGame.exe in your Geforce/Radeon settings, completely disable vsync so as to keep your FPS at 60FPS (I know this seems ironic but it forcing it to stay there, even though that's the point of vsync lol) I find this game caused me huge issues with the dips in FPS and such so to lower Mouse Speed, Look Speed, making sure those are exactly similar so its easier on my brain when I transition from my Mouse Cursor selecting things on the Interface and the Look Mouse Speeds + optimizing my GPU to work with EQgame.exe with the advanced stuff off, you can also force higher textures, better colors etc.

Which is also why I had to modify the whole interface to be bigger, 1440p with the standard Interfaces is extremely small and you have to really make sure your mouse clicks are accurate as the interface was literally never optimized with scale in mind, Even 1080p the interface is way too small IMO.

Heres what my interface looks like, i can't play without it at this size at 1440p clicking is a choir with the standard interface

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Shawk; 04-24-2021 at 07:20 PM..
Old 04-25-2021, 09:08 AM
Large Rat

I poked around some more. No - the Look Spring did not really change anything noticeably after all.

Linux mouse driver is controlled by "libinput" which has a config file, but it does not have any settings for horizontal versus vertical speeds. It is just one setting for speed overall.

In theory I could replace that driver with the "synaptics" which is usually used for touchpads, and that one does have separate speed/acceleration controls for horizontal and vertical. I might give that a try next.

However, I am not certain that the Linux mouse driver controls the pointer in wine emulation. It may be some Windows Registry setting I need to tweak - though I have yet to identify which one. Best case, that would modify the Linux input; worst case, it will interfere and conflict.

I just joined the Omens of War server, I ran around a bit on the P99 Blue before figuring that 1999 was better in my memory than it was in reality...

I have far smaller control panels because I predominantly use quick buttons anyway.

The game definitely runs at a steady 144 fps, I checked with the built-in indicator in the (G-sync) monitor HUD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot from 2021-04-25 15-01-56.jpg (99.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-25-2021, 04:29 PM
Fire Giant

Well your monitor HUD will say that. But that is part of the problem. You are running your monitor at 144FPS while the game runs at 60FPS. Omens of War should be able do 144FPS but P99 is capped at 60FPS. Your on screen display is showing what your display is outputting but the game software itself isn't allowing higher than that.

Only way to get a true number is with something that runs overlaying the game, not the monitor. For Windows that is Windows Key + G which get you the performance metre, or using something like Fraps. Not sure the options for Linux.

But ya if you're looking for 144FPS and making use of that GSync probably best on live as P99 is meant to emulate the experience of P99, but the game engine/gui was pretty buggy and 144FPS wasn't even conceived of yet, or 1440P. So there is a lot of Physics issues with levitation etc at 144FPS on Titanium client/server which P99 is running on so they reduced the frames.

Skyrim is a great example of this, if you play that at 144FPS without getting the mods that fix physics you are going to zone into placed and have the physical objected jump all over the place because even skyrim was made for 60FPS. There are fixes though, just like with EQ..

It ain't for everyone
Old 05-27-2023, 06:04 PM
Large Rat

Does anyone have a fix for this? I'm having the same problem with my mouse in Fedora 38
Old 07-18-2023, 07:26 PM
Large Bat

Having the same issue. I know I had this fixed over a year ago, but now I can't figure it out.

I've seen some threads say change the max. Frames Per Second in 'Display' to 30 or 60 and restart. but no matter what, when i restart, it's at 100.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:27 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeowan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Having the same issue. I know I had this fixed over a year ago, but now I can't figure it out.

I've seen some threads say change the max. Frames Per Second in 'Display' to 30 or 60 and restart. but no matter what, when i restart, it's at 100.
I'm having the same problem. I tried different distros (Ubuntu, Manjaro) and had the same exact problem. I never could find a fix.