Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-23-2023, 02:28 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Copying and pasting my reply from another thread for all of us Ryzen owners suffering from this problem:

There is a workaround such that you don't have to downclock.

1) Set all core CCX manual clock to 4 or 4.2 Ghz in BIOS

2) Install AMD Ryzen Master software

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

3) Every time you boot up PC or wake up from sleep - open Ryzen Master, set ECO or DEFAULT profile. This returns CPU clock/boost to normal out of box behavior and overrides BIOS manual setting.

4) Play EQ, or do whatever!

Step 3 is indeed annoying, but this is what I have been doing to get full CPU performance while being able to play P99.

I SUSPECT this works because this tells Windows (and therefore Titanium client) that the default clock speed is whatever BIOS is set to, even though Ryzen Master overrides that once you are booted up and make that change.
Brilliant workaround
Old 04-23-2023, 02:39 PM
Large Bat

This solution does work for me, but it also causes my Windows clock to run fast. After an hour or two I'd be a good 8-10 minutes faster than everything else.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:31 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefrog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If anyone plans to purchase a new computer from this point forward, you won't be able to run Project1999 anymore.
I know this entire project being fan run and not-for-profit has limited resources, but this is going to be a real and growing problem that needs to be addressed if at all possible.

I love the way P99 enshrines the original EQ experience, so really want it to survive this shift in PC hardware that's triggering it now.

I have a 7950x, and I am really hoping that whatever is triggering this is actually addressable by the team working on P99 and not some impossibility, as the population of PC's that can play is and will continue to slowly shrink otherwise.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:22 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoeus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a 7950x, and I am really hoping that whatever is triggering this is actually addressable by the team working on P99 and not some impossibility, as the population of PC's that can play is and will continue to slowly shrink otherwise.

I think it IS addressable. I noticed that any other emulated server works fine, its only p1999 that seems to have this issue. I'm guessing its some sort of anti cheap mechanism but who knows.

Additionally after operating with the ryzen master workaround posted previously, I realize that there are some major issues. First of all, while the clocks are correct, I find that my other apps have strange lag and hang ups randomly. This actually makes other competitive games unplayable. Thus I'm back to square one. I also couldn't get p99 to work properly with VMware, so I'm not sure what to do. It's sad because I'm feeling the p99 itch.

Is there some way to formally file a bug or something?
Old 04-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I currently have my processor (i9 12900k) working fine with P99 and the EQEmu login server selects.

When I get home I will see what it is currently running at but I have never downclocked it.

Also, are you getting booted back to login when you click on other servers as well (just for testing)?
I've heard that the 1017 errors are alot more common on AMD chips

I also have an intel setup (10900k) and run P99 with no issues.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:55 PM
Large Bat

Yeah, that's true. But that doesnt help. Lol
Old 04-29-2023, 10:22 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by corymaloy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, that's true. But that doesnt help. Lol
Well, it could help the devs, perhaps (if it were newer than a 10900K).

If these 12th and 13th gen Intel chips are running at similar MHZ and are OK, it's not the raw speed alone.

It would be helpful if this were acknowledged enough to have them look at some logs and see why the backend thinks these connections were trickery and denied.
Old 09-04-2023, 01:39 PM
Large Rat

I had this problem with my 7950X, and was able to workaround it by locking the frequency in bios to 4.2 GHz (thanks to this thread). I figured I'd live with it for a while, and switch back to Intel the next time I refreshed my build.

Fast forward about a year, I noticed the 7800X3D has a base frequency of 4.2GHz. And with a decent deal going on at Amazon for the processor, I decided to give it a try. With bios settings all reset to defaults, the 7800X3D has no problem with P99.

So, this appears to be something related to the base frequency set in bios, whether manual override or hardware default. Unfortunately, for the 7950X (factory base frequency 4.5GHz), the way you have to override that in bios locks you into a lower 4.2GHz frequency, disabling the hardware boost behavior. If you want to boost above that, you have to do a software workaround in Windows using Ryzen Master to re-enable boosting after boot-up. However, with the 7800X3D having a base frequency of 4.2GHz from the factory, the factory boost works without any workarounds, and P99 doesn't have any issues.

Hope this helps someone in the future as they're deciding on components for a new PC build.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:33 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willigetin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a fix for this. My CPU is an R9 7950x my default CPU modifier is 45x100 totaling in 4.5Ghz speed base clock. I was able to make P1999 100% stable by simply booting into my bios and setting my CPU multiplier to 42x100 so now my base clock speed is 4.2ghz. I’ve had zero crashes and it ALWAYS let’s me login without a hitch whatsoever. At first I was upset because nobody buys this CPU so you can underclock it..you buy this CPU to do the exact opposite 😂..but with all that being said, I have not noticed any real world performance issues whatsoever in any other newer games at all.

I hope this helps you and others out and hopefully people read this thread because I have spent over 10 days on this and finally found a compromise I was willing to deal with.

Good luck!
Did you ever find a fix? I have the same PROC 7950X and when I tried to lower my clock speed the damn thing wouldn't even post, I ended up having to reset CMOS remove Memory before it would even post (thought I bricked it).
Old 09-05-2023, 03:45 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I also have the Ryzen 7950X and unable to get the game to connect from the server menu. Running Rog Strix B650E-E

- Tried re-installing
- Installed Windows XP on VM
- Attempted to change Clock Speed in Bios to 4ghz (bricked it, had to reset bios) suspect my Memory is not able to lower clock speed.
- In AMD software tried to enable Over Clock (required reboot), again it bricked no post. Another CMOS reset and had to pull 1 stick of memory to get it post again.
- Connected to Hotspot on Phone, no dice
- WinXP VM tried running Win95 compatibility

Long Story short, in my VM Workstation not able to change the clock speed so the WinXP was still running 4.5ghz, and for whatever reason my board will not run at a lower clock speed.

On a bright note my wife PC is Intel I9 and it works fine there,

Mordos