Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 03-15-2023, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

Default CHARMING AND MEZZING

Charming can be the groups savior or it could turn very nasty. My normal array of spells are: Tasani, Color Flux/Shift/Skew, Entrance, Mesmeriztion, Cajoling Whsipers, and Root.
If a large group is pullled I will use my AE Mez spell. Generally I get no resists, and if the party is assisting, all but 1 will be mezzed. The lvl 16 AE mez spell only lasts about 24 secs. So I will pick one of the mobs, and Tashani it, and then Charm it. If there are more than 2 mobs, then what you have at this point is: 1 mob being attack, 1 mob charmed, and several others. Repeat your AE mez spell, then your pet should be unmezzed. Have him attack the same one as your party.

At this point go to each mob that is mezzed, and tashani them and root them. As the AE mez breaks, throw in your Entrance (it is only a single mez but it lasts longer. Do this to all mobs that you rooted. You don't have to charm but in Karnor's Castle, a charmed sentry that hits for 109 points of damage is way cool. If you just want to crowd control, do AE mez, Tashani, Root...wait for AE mez to break and follow up with your Entrance. Using this method I have controlled up to 12 mobs while having the Ghoul Executioner as my pet. NOTE: If you have a charmed pet, you can can, if you want, cast buffs on your new pet. A Ghould Executioner with Celerity is an awesome site. Just have Pilliage Enchantment ready if needed.

Strategy Submitted on: Wednesday, March 01, 2000
Reposted on: Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Thanks to Najib Aasim, Mithaniel Marr

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 03-15-2023, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Classic AF [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's almost like people back in classic did know how to play their Enchanters (including how to use charm) ... and yet, for some reason, the vast majority didn't charm regularly in groups ... almost as if the risk vs. reward of charming was different on live ...

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Post SOLOING OSARGEN LVL 29-31+

There are actually lots of strategy guides archived on casters realm. Well, the titles are if not the pages themselves. Many make reference to charming - so it was something that was done.

There are all sorts of enchanter strategies, but the one that made me laugh most was this one:

SOLOING OSARGEN LVL 29-31+

You may expect it to be a charming guide, but actually it is just "summon your 29 pet, mez, tash, root, suffocate and spam flux until root break" apparently he had a very fast respawn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Server needs to fix multikiting for charm classes though

Quote:
NECROS AND ENCHANTERS, BEST EXP EVER
BORED?...GO TO COBALT SCAR
SOLOING OSARGEN LVL 29-31+
LET'S GO CHECK OUT UPPER GUK!
CHARM AND THE EASTERN WASTES (39-48)
CRYSTAL CAVERNS (29-37)
HOW TO CHARM EFFECTIVELY, KEEP A PET FOR HOURS
CROWD CONTROL AND PROPER USE OF ENTRANCE
BORED WAITING FOR A GATE IN WC - KILL THE GUARDS (LVL 30)
BUG HUNT IN BURNING WOODS - MID-30'S UP
HAPP IN LFEY
SPIROCS IN TD (LEV 45-51)
LEARN TO LOVE YOUR PET AGAIN AT LVL 49
LOWER GUK - LEVELS 35-40
MULTI-KITING-- THE FASTEST EXPERIENCE THERE IS
CHARMING AND MEZZING
BEST PARTNERSHIPS - OUTSIDE ZONES
CHARM-KITING OASIS SPECS
ANNOYING SPELLS COME TO USE
EASY XP WITH A NECRO FRIEND
RAPTORS FOR AWESOME XP
THIS IS *THE* STRATEGY TO PK ANY CASTER. PERIOD..
GETTING FROM 43 TO 49 IN THE NEW LANDS.
DRUID DOUBLE SPAWN IN WC
4 L35 DWARVES EVERY 6 MIN, FOR L39-48, AND LEARN TO MASTER CHARM. (VERY LONG AND DETAILED)
WRONG GNOME COMBO!
BREAKING WEST KARANAS OGRE CAMP AT 45
ANOTHER GOOD STRATEGY FOR DWARVES IN OOT
A BIT OF CHAOS AND SOME TEA!
SOLOING DWARVES IN OOT FROM 26-34
GNOME GUARDS SOLO =P
AWESOME EXP
ANOTHER GNOME TRICK
ANOTHER GOOD HG/SG COMBO
HILL GIANTS AND OTHER BIG NASTYS
DROPPING GIANTS AND GRIFFONS AT 30
A USE FOR OUR TERRIBLE PETS.
SHADOWMEN + PB AE = EZ XP
ENCHANTER BEST SOLO POWERGAMING CLASS.
SHADOW MEN
6 of the front page strategies (at this archive time stamp mention charm tactics in title. Many of those that don't may mention charm in content (can't be arsed to check all the links). Charm was a thing, even if it wasn't so widespread as here.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Last edited by Jimjam; 03-15-2023 at 11:59 AM..
Old 03-15-2023, 03:10 PM
Kobold

Looks like charm was the bomb in classic EQ. I am beginning to think we need a petition to un-nerf enchanters on this server.
Balamorm<ALS> - Barbarian Rogue
Deetith - Iksar Monk
Old 03-15-2023, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

People be walking around with suits of blazing ro on their twinks, and people like, "too many people charming here so must be broken"

NO!

It's that we have no lives!

No LIVES!
Old 03-15-2023, 06:43 PM
Sarnak

The following guide is largely in line with p99 enchanter grouping; it basically says keeping a charmed pet in a group is well worth the risk and more enchanters should learn how to play: https://web.archive.org/web/20030429...EW.ASP?ID=6388

Quote:
CHARMING MADE EASY - Hawkins Filibuster, Tholuxe Paells

Have you ever wondered why most enchanters never charm except in emergency situations or when soloing? After all a charmed and hasted mob will do a massive amount of damage, hold aggro, and can be killed when at low HP for EXP. Why don't enchanters charm all the time?

Because charming is dangerous and will get you killed. That said charming can be done routinely and for amazing EXP and loot if you follow this strategy.

Preparation

First - Max your CHA. Charisma makes the enchanter. Get as much CHA as you can afford, even sacrificing INT for CHA. Use your best CHA buff.

Second - Mem these spells 1- Tash 2- Color shift 3- Color flux/skew 4- Long mez (enthrall, entrance, dazzle) 5- Short mez (Mezmerize(yes level 4 mez)) 6- Charm (Beguile, Cajoling WHispers, Allure (use the lowest charm that can still work where you are hunting to conserve mana, if you are good you can also rotate spells here)) 7, 8 - Buff rotation and slow

Third - Buy lots of Rune reagents. Don't be cheap if you learn to charm you will get rich fast. And you will occasionally get hit if mobs resist your stuns/mez.

Fourth - Make friends with a Druid(Ensnare 10 min) Ranger (snare, ensnare 51+) and a Shaman/Mage (malaise/malosi spell line) This is not necessary but makes charmed pets easier to recharm once charm breaks(snare), and charm will last longer with magic resistance lowered. This added time can be the difference between staying at full mana while charming, or having to take a med break after you pet is killed.

Fifth - Make a hotkeyed social for your level 4 mez. That has a group msg.

Line 1- /cast 5
Line 2- 'Mezzing %T for CHARM.'
Line 3- /tell {put mage/shaman name here} Please Malasie/Malosi %T before I charm.

Sixth - Make social hotkeys for all the pet commands especially /pet guard here /pet guard me /pet attack and /pet back off.

CHarming Battle Strategy

OK, after this preparation you are ready to charm like a pro. Is your rune shield up? Resists do happen.

Have your party puller go pull 2 mobs. As the mobs come into camp Mez the add as usual only this time use your short (24 sec) mez. Tash the add and start spamming your druid/ranger and shaman/mage to ensnare and malaise respectively. If they are a little slow in doing this just keep lighting the mob up with your mez (and spamming party) every 10 seconds. This only costs 20 mana a pop, and they will make this debuff top priority just to shut you up.

Once the mob is ensnared and magic resistance is lowered it is time to charm. With a short mez this mob will be ready to fight for you in no time.

Once you get your charmed pet in the fight and the primary target is snared have the puller head out to find another mob. If you are brave you can haste your charmed pet at this time. I don't recommend hasting until you get lots of practive charming.

Pet all ready to go? It is chain pulling time. As adds come into camp mez them, tash them, and run by your pet giving the attack order. Remember to stay away from your pet, charm can break at anytime and even a few feet can give you time to remez before getting hit. You can make sure your pet stays away from you with the /pet guard here command. Tell your puller to keep three mobs in camp at all times. Your pet, the main target, and the mezzed add.

If charm breaks attempt to remez, and if not snared and you get hit try to stun before remezzing. The 1.5 sec cast on color shift will allow you to channel through even your hasted mobs attacks. The rune can give you the extra time you need to regain control.

If your charmed pet is below 25% health Mez with your long mez, but do not recharm. If outside you can fear after party finishes the primary mob, or slow if in a dungeon. After all you don't want your hasted pet beating on your friends. By the way.. you get EXP for your former pet. If you are really good you can mez you former pet. Short mez the incoming monster, and have a fresh pet to kill off your former pet.

This strategy may seem overly complicated, but once you have made the proper preparations the strategy can fit into about any group. If your teamates are having trouble figuring out which mob is your pet tell them to con it, or use the /pet who leader hotkey. Better yet if you have a shaman in the party have them shrink your pet. This can be quite humorous. One afternoon I had a mini frogluk bok shaman charmed for over 4 hours. It kept healing itself, and I ended up giving it clarity. We even had to zone to pick up new teamates, and when we returned my pet frogluk was completely healed, and just begging to get an 'invite' back in our party.

Hope this helps your charming efforts. Enjoy!

Strategy Submitted on: Monday, December 17, 2001
Old 03-16-2023, 04:31 PM
Orc

I think it's pretty common knowledge that the group's enchanter (for xp groups) will be charming a pet.

The enchanters pet can often out DPS melee dps, not to mention the enchanter is also hasting the melee. Add CC/Mana Regen and most groups want at least 1 enchanter in the group.

Basically, the group is getting a strong melee DPS/Mana Regen/CC/Agro magnet. If you are not Charming, then you are doing the group wrong.... in fact, a group setting is likely the best place to learn how to charm (safer).
Old 03-17-2023, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivitron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The following guide is largely in line with p99 enchanter grouping; it basically says keeping a charmed pet in a group is well worth the risk and more enchanters should learn how to play: https://web.archive.org/web/20030429...EW.ASP?ID=6388
Right, so you have one guy on live thinking the risk vs. reward was worthwhile, and virtually all other Enchanters thinking it was too risky to charm in groups (or solo for that matter).

As I keep repeating, this is not a binary thing. The question isn't "was charming possible in live?" ( of course it was) ... the question is "if it was possible, and some did it, why did so many fewer Enchanters do it on live vs. here?"

Here's a simple thought experiment: let's say P99 is super accurate in most regards, but the charm success rate (or any other mechanic that affects charming, eg. the channeling success rate) is 20% higher here than on live: what would that look like?

I submit that you'd see a server that looks just like live ... only with Enchanters charming a lot more than they did on live. In other words, you'd see P99.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:40 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right, so you have one guy on live thinking the risk vs. reward was worthwhile, and virtually all other Enchanters thinking it was too risky to charm in groups (or solo for that matter).

As I keep repeating, this is not a binary thing. The question isn't "was charming possible in live?" ( of course it was) ... the question is "if it was possible, and some did it, why did so many fewer Enchanters do it on live vs. here?"

Here's a simple thought experiment: let's say P99 is super accurate in most regards, but the charm success rate (or any other mechanic that affects charming, eg. the channeling success rate) is 20% higher here than on live: what would that look like?

I submit that you'd see a server that looks just like live ... only with Enchanters charming a lot more than they did on live. In other words, you'd see P99.
Totally agree, I don't think Charm (and Root for that matter) resists/breaks on P99 match what was on live.
I played chanter there and the way we played/pulled there wasn't any time to handle a pet, let alone handle one, when you are taking care of 5 other mobs in camp, or worse yet, handle a Charm break.
Sure you could charm and sure you could be lucky ... for a while. But then you would have some bad luck, eat dust and leave your group without CC possibly to whipe or at best with a Chanter that has to med up after Rez ---> no good CC for a while.
Not talking about outdoors/snared pets which is childsplay, there you can charm to your hearts content with little risk (other than running out of mana, which would usually happen, because charm broke more often).

And yes we stacked Charisma too back in the day, I just remember it as: can work for a while, usually too much tax on Mana, not worth the risk.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

the reason they didn't have airplanes in Egypt was because physics didn't exist back then