Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 06-18-2023, 12:41 PM
Kobold

Love all the advice that boils down to "don't experiment, don't explore, don't have fun, here is the formula to make you the same as every other monk. You're welcome." Non-sarcastic question, DOES anyone actually enjoy "gearing by numbers" here? Like just making an checklist of drops from wiki and then afk raiding until you get them? Because of the goal is to rush to endgame BiS... the immediate step after that is stop playing the character, so why not just skip straight to that step and uninstall the game??
Old 06-18-2023, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Love all the advice that boils down to "don't experiment, don't explore, don't have fun, here is the formula to make you the same as every other monk. You're welcome." Non-sarcastic question, DOES anyone actually enjoy "gearing by numbers" here? Like just making an checklist of drops from wiki and then afk raiding until you get them? Because of the goal is to rush to endgame BiS... the immediate step after that is stop playing the character, so why not just skip straight to that step and uninstall the game??
Sorry friend. All the experimentation and exploration and fun theorycrafting when no one knew anything about the game was done literal decades ago. So you can choose to do what's best or you can just choose to not care and go your own way, but don't be surprised when people bust out 20+ years worth of very specialized knowledge about a game that most of us are extremely addicted to.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

The issue with the monk at least these days with the 2h patches is the illusion of freedom. You CAN use other combos but unless they come off off the toughest npcs in the game there are only a few paths that generate good numbers. If you are soloing that means you either struggle more or less. If on a raid it means you are higher or lower on the parse.

Sorry the Tstaff, IFS, and PB are just too good. Last HoT I attended my ranger with a Meljeldin was swapping dps positions with a Peacebringer 60 monk most the night. Guess which one it's more sad for [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-19-2023, 05:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People are just trying to tell the truth. Parsing is something a lot of people do, so we can see the trends in the average damages on different popular weapons.

That being said, you don't have to play in the most efficient way. The goal of the game is to have fun. I still dual wield on my Monk sometimes, because I like the feel of dual wield, and stun procs on Addy Club are cool. Is it more efficient than my IFS? No, but I can still kill the mob I want quickly enough.

But if you know what weapons are best, you can use them in a scenario where people are expecting you to play at your best, like raiding. You can also use them when you need to play at your best, like soloing tough mobs.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-19-2023 at 05:15 PM..
Old 06-24-2023, 08:35 PM
Fire Giant

I've got a primal on my monk, but it's the 1h (fist). This is great, except I never bothered with DW and only have a raid tier 2h weapon. I don't want to weapon swap when just grinding mobs or doing chill duoing, what are some solid easy options to get while I save up dkp for a real weapon?
Old 06-24-2023, 10:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've got a primal on my monk, but it's the 1h (fist). This is great, except I never bothered with DW and only have a raid tier 2h weapon. I don't want to weapon swap when just grinding mobs or doing chill duoing, what are some solid easy options to get while I save up dkp for a real weapon?
Not easy but the best option would be a priceless fist
Old 06-25-2023, 03:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Patches tend to throw a wrench into the gears, whether on purpose or by accident. As others have pointed out, what was true several years ago isn't true anymore which won't remain true in the years ahead.

People like to say that this game has been solved, discovered, etc. because it's mostly accurate but they aren't accounting for the mundane details that can and do make a world of difference. Over time new ways of doing things become the standard until newer ways are found or restrictions put in place as a result. It's a game of cat and mouse, developer and player.
Old 06-25-2023, 08:46 AM
Planar Protector

The answer is still IFS for any young monk out there looking to save for a weapon for the long haul.
Old 06-25-2023, 01:12 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not easy but the best option would be a priceless fist
this would actually be the easiest option since it drops off of ST trash
Old 06-26-2023, 04:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Patches tend to throw a wrench into the gears, whether on purpose or by accident. As others have pointed out, what was true several years ago isn't true anymore which won't remain true in the years ahead.

People like to say that this game has been solved, discovered, etc. because it's mostly accurate but they aren't accounting for the mundane details that can and do make a world of difference. Over time new ways of doing things become the standard until newer ways are found or restrictions put in place as a result. It's a game of cat and mouse, developer and player.
I feel like there's a lot of people that say this game is solved but there's a lot of innovative stuff or mechanics that are not well known at all. This is especially true if you're going off publically available sources intead of whatever private notes are in place.

I still don't know if Statue and Avatar of War are belly casters; its not listed on their wiki page, but when I sent people to try and kite Statue for preslow on the no rules quake it failed miserably. Were we just unlucky and/or had problems with range, or was that doomed from the start?

The only raid mob I know you can land poison spells on is Dain Frostreaver IV, but I have no idea how many others are vulnerable except not Sontalak or Cazic Thule.

I don't know if any raid mobs aren't immune to run speed changes.

I didn't know Statue doesn't social with Guardians of Zek faction until I started pulling him. Turns out he doesn't see hide either, despite the wiki page saying he does.

I can go pull Armors of Zek to zoneline whenever now that I worked out the interaction with the 1 way wall, but there's not a lot of hints on good ways to pull them without clearing anything. Never seen other rogues suggest doing it.

It was not at all obvious Yetarr does enough damage that its worth dedicating 3 free enchanters to maintaining a dictate loop+charm handoff until he was actually pulled out and tested in a Dictate loop.

Didn't know Neb would fight Zlandicar or not, but it turns out he does. Zlandi bugs out completely when he kills him though, so too bad about that or it could be used to try for an ultra low man.

Mages can ramp tank anything unsupported for 200 plat/minute using corpsed box of the voids. Picked up several vindis that way where we didn't have a ramp tank or ramp healer, don't think I've seen anyone else do that or mention it.

Project Lightning's low man Vindi using no players in Ramp range to control wizard deaths for respawning with mana is clever and I haven't see it before.

There's still a source of damage that can hit any number of targets in the game simultaneously, but whether anyone will ever be able to do anything interesting with it is currently up in the air.

I wonder how many people know about the 2 minute respawn camp for 20% chance at 500 instaclick healing/rune potions, because its on the wiki now but I've seen it come as a surprise to a bunch of people.

I've had a fellow theorycrafter show me an item that he figured out how to farm that is flagged as a GM event item on the wiki.

There was no indicator I could find that the Shardwing Courier quest turnin was worth a huge amount of experience before I tested it.

Stunned, mezzed and DA players automatically drop to the bottom of the aggro list, so can you spinstun yourself with a orb of confusion to drop aggro if you're DPS? I don't know, I don't have one and haven't gotten around to asking someone to test it.

I think it might be possible to solo farm Eyepatch of Shadows. Maybe if I ever get a 60 enchanter I'll try and see if I can pull it off. I probably should try and get an enchanter to 60, there's too many cool mechanics that need them to explore.

Its very unclear how the aggro mechanics from healing pets work based on anything I've been able to figure out.

There's just a lot of really interesting things to try and explore in this game. Even the knowledge that does technically exist is way more siloed than you would expect.