Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Aviak

Default Which charm spell to use?

I was wondering what the best charm spell to use was as a necro in Howling Stones. I haven't had any problems using Beguile Undead (max level 46) in basement/north, but I asked other people in zone and some said that Thrall of Bones holds better--maybe because of the -10 resist check? Is that worth 300 mana? Just curious if there were any opinions out there.

When I went to West, I started to get double resists, so I assumed that the mobs were too high level there. Do necros like to use Cajole Undead or Thrall of Bones there?

Do enchanters/druids always use the lowest level spell possible as well, or is there a benefit to higher level spells?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:56 PM
Banned

If we can use allure over boltrans (max 51 vs max 53) we use allure. Costs way less mana and the max duration is nearly triple boltrans
Old 07-26-2018, 02:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was wondering what the best charm spell to use was as a necro in Howling Stones. I haven't had any problems using Beguile Undead (max level 46) in basement/north, but I asked other people in zone and some said that Thrall of Bones holds better--maybe because of the -10 resist check? Is that worth 300 mana? Just curious if there were any opinions out there.

When I went to West, I started to get double resists, so I assumed that the mobs were too high level there. Do necros like to use Cajole Undead or Thrall of Bones there?

Do enchanters/druids always use the lowest level spell possible as well, or is there a benefit to higher level spells?

Thanks.
Always use the lowest level charm possible UNLESS special considerations.

As an enchanter, there are times when the Boltran’s cast time is extremely useful, and I will use that over Allure even when dealing with level 50-51 mobs as pets. But not always.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:14 PM
Kobold

The wiki is wrong, Thrall of Bones didn't have a -10 MR check until 2002. It's placebo effect, use whichever one works on the level of mob you are charming, with those two they both have the same cast time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy
2002-09-04 11:33 Changed Resistadj from 0 to -10
Link

Also, at least from an Enchanter perspective, if you are getting resists on charm it's because the mob is higher level than the charm works on. Sometimes charm will break almost instantly, but for me it always lands if the mob is charmable and in the proper level range. I assume necro is the same.

In case you don't know you can tell the level of a potential pet in most zones by their max hit, Mob Level x 4 - 60. A level 45 mob x 4 = 180 - 60 = 120, a 45 mob max hits for 120. This doesn't apply to Velious mobs but in HS it is accurate for every mob in the zone besides Drusella.
Last edited by Para99; 07-26-2018 at 02:22 PM..
Old 07-26-2018, 02:55 PM
Aviak

Wow, thanks for the advice! Nice catch on the MR thing. I even noticed someone just edited the wiki page for that too.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:51 AM
Orc

I allways use the lowest one on my necro. I use Cajole in north and west and Thrall in south/east. Cajole works on in east and south on 144 hitters
Closed Thread