Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 03-31-2022, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

Being new, I'd say give her a class without much responsibility other than DPS.
Magician, Necro, Wizard, or any melee class.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dural_Levant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, my buddy and I want start playing again, we usually team up and do our own thing.

He plays a Warrior and I play a Druid. The team-up usually works out well.

This time around, my GF wants to try playing the game with us. She’s not sure what her first character should be.

What would work best with a Druid and a Warrior? An Enchanter? Or perhaps a Bard?
Decades of Dungeons & Dragons have taught us the right answer for the girlfriend is Cleric. Bonus points if you insist she roleplays as mute.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:05 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Enchanter is fine for a first time character. I did it and it was a blast. Especially if you have a play group, all she'll need to do is mezz and haste.
Don't immediately start charm solo'ing and you'll be fine.

This game requires 4 APM, you don't need gamer skillz to be good, only awareness.
Last edited by Gannonpwns; 04-01-2022 at 10:08 PM..
Old 04-04-2022, 06:06 AM
Decaying Skeleton

If she's looking to give it a serious shot and isn't just humoring you give her a basic rundown of the class roles in the game and have her read the wiki for the ones that sound interesting to her.

Everquest isn't a monstrously complex game, anyone who cares enough to engage with it and its systems will be able to master whatever class they choose, but Enchanters do rely on a great deal of general game and systems knowledge while also being the highest engagement class in terms of having to be constantly paying attention if you're fully utilizing them, which can get old in an otherwise extremely slow paced game. They are a poor choice of first character for most people, if they're not coming to the game with a lot of established MMO experience.

If she checks out the classes on the wiki and thinks Enchanter sounds cool she'll be fine with it, but don't press it on a new player because some forums idiots convinced you to.

Someone also mentioned Shaman Monk Necromancer earlier in the thread which would be great both as a group and as a trio of strong solo classes that you can all putz around on and do shit on solo when you feel like it.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:28 AM
Planar Protector

warrior is virtually useless in small grouping situations. even in best casse scenarios they struggle to be anything other than an exp leech. contributing virtually nothing especially if untwinked.

you are best off copletely ignoring the warriors exsitence entirely and just consider him an exp penlty. then you want to roll either a necro or enchanter to make up the diffierence.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:34 AM
Fire Giant

Warriors are great, as long as you root mobs theyre agro problems aren't as issue. Higher damage than other tank classes, but yes they are very expensive to gear out and extremely gear dependant.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Warriors are great, as long as you root mobs theyre agro problems aren't as issue. Higher damage than other tank classes, but yes they are very expensive to gear out and extremely gear dependant.
no they arent great in duo/trios. they are pretty terrrible. and duo/trios should never put a premium on tanking enemies. mana is much better spent killing things than healing some feckless noodle swinging buckethead LARPing as Conan.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
warrior is virtually useless in small grouping situations. even in best casse scenarios they struggle to be anything other than an exp leech. contributing virtually nothing especially if untwinked.

you are best off copletely ignoring the warriors exsitence entirely and just consider him an exp penlty. then you want to roll either a necro or enchanter to make up the diffierence.
Have a 60, 56, 55, 43, 24 and 22 warrior. Can confirm.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 04-05-2022, 12:06 PM
Kobold

Thanks to everyone who replied, this is some solid advice.

So, we chose the Warrior/Druid duo for sentimental reasons. My buddy and I have been friends since like the 3rd grade. As kids we would play make-believe in the wood behind my house. He would always be a fighter, while I chose a magic user. As teenagers we would play variations of this duo in D&D games.

When EQ was first released in ‘99 we wanted to carry on this tradition. I chose a Wizard at first, but quickly learned it wouldn’t pair well with a Warrior, so I chose a Druid instead. Nostalgia drove us to recreate our original characters for Project 1999.

I am intrigued, however, by the suggestion of a Necro/Shaman/Monk trio. I will talk to the others about it; It would be fun to create a trio of Iskar.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:43 PM
Planar Protector

Good luck!

Do you want to be hooked up with some starter gear or wpuld you rather fond it on your own adventures?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung