Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 03-31-2022, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is a strong correlation between retirement and depression

Our work becomes our identity, saying what we do for a living is most often the thing that follows our name as our sense of self. It creates a purpose in life, and usually the satisfaction that we are bettering the lives of others as well with our efforts

Choosing to not be a “slave” to some employer will often inadvertently just leave someone a slave to their own short-term pleasure impulses, a slave to their own hedonism. Which is why you so often see the younger unemployed become addicted to short-term fixes like illegal drugs

I recommend when retiring still creating a sense of purpose and structure
There's a strong correlation between having a job and being depressed too. Correlations are pretty broad.

If I could make ends meet by doing absolutely nothing all day, I would do that, but I can't so I don't.

I probably won't really get to retire. Maybe these job things create a sense of purpose for you, great. I take pride in the things I create and get fulfillment from that, I do not experience pride related to work whatsoever. It's just what gives me the ability to do whatever else.

All this nonsense about the glory of drudgery seems like the modern worker's way to express what is capitalist exploitation propaganda. Learning to love our chains and all. Americans have internalized it wholeheartedly. Mike Rowe has done tremendous damage to us all on behalf of the Koch brothers, along with a whole other retinue of villains
Old 03-31-2022, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

^ strongnpretty you forgot about the part where you post on elf forums and get blasted by some mads about your EQ pvp play style. Haha. Good post.

To be a cringe bible quoter "And to whomsoever much is given, of him shall much be required: and to whom they commit much, of him will they ask the more."

I don't believe the gifts we're given (like being born rich + marrying rich) are for us to hoard ease for ourselves. But that is how we're raised.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:58 AM
Banned

In before someone claims we human beings evolved to be capitalists and that capitalist exploitation is inherent to the human condition
Old 03-31-2022, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

^ haha good one.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^ strongnpretty you forgot about the part where you post on elf forums and get blasted by some mads about your EQ pvp play style. Haha. Good post.

To be a cringe bible quoter "And to whomsoever much is given, of him shall much be required: and to whom they commit much, of him will they ask the more."

I don't believe the gifts we're given (like being born rich + marrying rich) are for us to hoard ease for ourselves. But that is how we're raised.
Oh yeah, lets go ahead and fit that playtime into my 2 hour freetime haha.. And preach brother- I agree.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robayon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's a strong correlation between having a job and being depressed too. Correlations are pretty broad.

If I could make ends meet by doing absolutely nothing all day, I would do that, but I can't so I don't.

I probably won't really get to retire. Maybe these job things create a sense of purpose for you, great. I take pride in the things I create and get fulfillment from that, I do not experience pride related to work whatsoever. It's just what gives me the ability to do whatever else.

All this nonsense about the glory of drudgery seems like the modern worker's way to express what is capitalist exploitation propaganda. Learning to love our chains and all. Americans have internalized it wholeheartedly. Mike Rowe has done tremendous damage to us all on behalf of the Koch brothers, along with a whole other retinue of villains
My ma is a CEO (not a large company tho), if I wanted I could have her pay my mortgage and not have to work. But I don’t like the idea of begging others for charity. And thus I have worked since I was 17yrs old and the longest I ever went without working was 2 weeks when I had to stop due to covid

My jobs in retail when I was younger allowed me to make some incredibly close friendships with young 20’s co-workers. I remember going to parties at their house that were so crazy big we had “bouncers” posted at the front collecting money from all comers to cover the multiple keg costs. Some of these work friendships still last today

Nowadays working makes me feel a sense of benefitting my community. It also continues to allow me to socialize with strangers, furthering interpersonal skills that so many in isolation at home lack. I’ve hung out with current co-workers quite a lot outside of work, so the friendship development is another big benefit to me. Plus I enjoy what I do, which I guess is really what it’s all about. It’s why I’ve never felt an urge to advance to administration where I wouldn’t have any more contact with clients. I’d rather take less money to enjoy the work more
Old 03-31-2022, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

The problem with retirement and depression is those are all ageism encouraged/forced retirement victims.

Every old man I know loves retirement, because they retired on their own terms.

I bet I'm right.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:23 PM
Banned

Unsunghero is right. Work is more than income.

Do G-d's work.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem with retirement and depression is those are all ageism encouraged/forced retirement victims.

Every old man I know loves retirement, because they retired on their own terms.

I bet I'm right.
50/50 in my experience and it depends on the man. Some men will work until they physically cannot anymore, they fear the living room lay-z-boy because some part of them knows it's the end.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by robayon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In before someone claims we human beings evolved to be capitalists and that capitalist exploitation is inherent to the human condition
Well.. is it fascism that makes the tree's shed their leaves, and create the kindling that will burn them to the ground, only to grow a new generation of potentially even stronger trees?

Or is it nature that makes us build, destroy, and rebuild our cultures, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over?