Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Fire Giant

Default Eye of Zomm

Not agroing KoS mobs.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Developer

Quote:
Haynar-Src-Eye of Zomm's will now aggro mobs, based on the caster's faction.
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of Eye of Zomm as a scouting tool? Where would it ever be used now?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Developer

It's classic behavior.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
When the eye gets near any mob that would agro on it, the mob attacks the eye. Since it only has a couple of hit points, and zero AC it dies VERY quickly. And of course, just like a pet you also then inherit the agro (ie, you are added to the mobs hate list).
http://www.monkly-business.net/forum...ead.php?t=8629

That's a good guide for eye of zomm.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Developer

Your link describes Zomm spawned by "Holgresh Elder Beads" as a pulling tool. Considering this item came out in Luclin and mages can't FD, then your link does not describe a guide for classic use of Zomm.

I believe the original intention was for it be a scouting tool and it has worked well in this limited capacity being non-aggro.

There are some times that have been implemented differently here because it is overpowered or "makes sense" such as rune swords not proccing and boats sailing backwards. Despite not being purely classic, Zomm works best as a non-aggressive scouting tool and it also "makes sense".

Please reconsider reverting this change.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropethunder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your link describes Zomm spawned by "Holgresh Elder Beads" as a pulling tool. Considering this item came out in Luclin and mages can't FD, then your link does not describe a guide for classic use of Zomm.

I believe the original intention was for it be a scouting tool and it has worked well in this limited capacity being non-aggro.

There are some times that have been implemented differently here because it is overpowered or "makes sense" such as rune swords not proccing and boats sailing backwards. Despite not being purely classic, Zomm works best as a non-aggressive scouting tool and it also "makes sense".

Please reconsider reverting this change.
?? Holgresh elder beads came out in Velious from the flying monkey caves in wakening lands. That article is from 2001, which is before Luclin.

The eye of zomm is actually better the way it is now. It means you can pull with it, and people CAN'T send it on non-risk 30 second invite missions for coth in kos dungeons. I played a magician on live for a long time. I can tell you when TOV raid time came around, I was sending the eye to invite people for coth. In dungeon situations, a non-aggro eye completely trivializes some areas.

I'd like to hear more people speak about this. I assumed this was the common and classic interpretation of eye of zomm.
Last edited by nilbog; 03-28-2011 at 06:15 PM..
Old 03-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

I distinctly remember pulling in Hate using bind sight on an eye of zomm to target mobs in buildings to harmony them first. The eye did not pull aggro. I don't think I started doing planar raids until during Kunark though, so I can't give a timeframe.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
?? Holgresh elder beads came out in Velious from the flying monkey caves in wakening lands. That article is from 2001, which is before Luclin.
Zam said it was Luclin. I was mistaken.

However, using Zomm as a pulling tool is good for "other" classes diminishes its utility for magicians and wizards who by design can be extremely vulnerable in situations where there might be several mobs around a corner.

Despite how it might be useful for "pulling" I highly doubt this was its intended purpose. Especially considering the elder beads did not come out until Velious.

Some things don't make sense even in classic. I argue that this is one of them.

I understand that they may have been KOS in pure classic (I do not remember) but it's frustrating that it takes away from the classes who were intended to get the spell in the first place.

Places where Zomm is useful as non-aggro:

* Scouting
* Tapping for necros
* /assist for targeting, splitting

Places where Zomm is useful as aggro:

* Tapping for necros
* Pulling for melees only

Zomm becomes a tool for melees and removes the desire for groups wanting classes that can cast it in Classic and Velious for scouting and splitting.

The only reason it's even being considered for pulling is because of these elder beads. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

For example, using it in Chardok was great because we could peek inside the castle to check for roaming adds for when we pulled one of the guys on top of the fort entrance. That's good utility and emphasizes the strong points provided by unique spells like this.
Last edited by Ropethunder; 03-28-2011 at 06:52 PM..
Old 03-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Fire Giant

Going back on topic, eye of zomm isn't causing agro to KoS mobs.lol

Eye of Zomm always always KoS to Kos mobs. It changed after luclin if I recall.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Developer

I have a question about the elder beads. According to Zam:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=5552

The item is ALL/ALL. But the screenshot says it's caster only.
Closed Thread