Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Kobold

Default Rogue DW / BS question

I have a few questions on this one so hear me out. I also apologize that I cannot test this right now as I am at work.

My rog is about to hit 10 and get Back Stab. Shortly after that (13) I will get Dual Wield. Currently I am rocking a Fine Steel Rapier and just picked up Whip of Strangulation last night.

I get that I will equip the Rapier - sneak up and BS the target. Then I will equip the Whip for the rest of the fight. My question is can I still "use" BS during the fight? Will it just count as another attack that could proc the Whip?

When I do get DW, I might be able to get a 7/22 1hs I believe. Am I better off using the 7/22 as my main and Whip as my offhand. Or will I have a better chance of getting the Whip to proc by placing it in my main hand? I am pretty new to the DW skill, so please forgive me.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

You need to have a piercing weapon equipped to attempt to backstab.

You will be better off placing your faster weapon main hand, and better ratio weapon offhand. If you are only soloing -- pierce/bs to start the fight, then switch to best fast weapon main hand, and best ratio offhand.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My question is can I still "use" BS during the fight? Will it just count as another attack that could proc the Whip?
If you haven't already figured this out, in the process of a fight, solo with no one to make the mob turn around, the backstab button can be used in a fight as an extra attack but a piercing weapon must be equipped in your main hand for it to work.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You need to have a piercing weapon equipped to attempt to backstab.

You will be better off placing your faster weapon main hand, and better ratio weapon offhand. If you are only soloing -- pierce/bs to start the fight, then switch to best fast weapon main hand, and best ratio offhand.
I have gotten to 17 and loving the rogue. I have the following three weapons and could use some opinions.

9/25 - .36 - Jagged Chokidai Spine - JCS - http://wiki.project1999.com/Jagged_Chokidai_Spine
8/27 - .29 - Serrated Bone Drik - SBD - http://wiki.project1999.com/Serrated_Bone_Dirk
6/18 -.33 - Goblin Backstabber - GB - http://wiki.project1999.com/Goblin_Backstabber

Currently I have only been grouping so my question is:
To be the most effective DPS given the above weapons, should I wield GB in main hand and JCS in offhand. Then when BS is up, switch - BS - switch back? Or should I not switch weapons and just BS with the GB?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Fire Giant

you missing a possible melee round constantly switching weapons will practically eliminate any benefit you would get by doing that, especially if you're trying to strafe to stay behind a mob when low level tanks don't hold aggro well. Just do JCS primary, GB secondary.

don't forget to evade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you missing a possible melee round constantly switching weapons will practically eliminate any benefit you would get by doing that, especially if you're trying to strafe to stay behind a mob when low level tanks don't hold aggro well. Just do JCS primary, GB secondary.

don't forget to evade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Fire Giant

you can also get lucky with a tanking backstab (getting in a backstab while you are the current top agro target)

while in 3rd person view, run through the mob till it turns, then back up and hit backstab

doesnt work every time, and is easier when you have jboots or sow, but it is possible. If it fails, you just get the extra normal attack you would have got if you just mashed the BS button
Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Kobold

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will run with JCS and GB. I do love the evade hot key I made. A little low right now to see it work very much, but when it does it is awesome.
Closed Thread