Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Banned

Default RL Investing

Anyone else here buy / sell stocks, even on a small basis?
Figured we can have a thread with tips on investments we're currently involved in.

SFNS Summit Financial
Bought it at $0.51 now at $1.05

Forward looking companies:

TSLA Tesla Motors, IPO last month at $20/share
ESLR Evergreen Solar, $0.75/share, Solar companies will be the oil companies of our future.
Last edited by to0p; 08-04-2010 at 10:22 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Planar Protector

Kash and I sell mutual funds for a Boston based firm. We're not too involved directly in the market, but we're always hunting for new lines of biz!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

I would like to get involved in Stocks but I have no clue about it if I'm honest I'd like to start off small and see where it takes me.

Any advice is welcome
Last edited by Edgetiq; 08-04-2010 at 10:48 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

Best advice I can give you is create a trading account with an online brokerage and toss in 10% of your monthly income, once it builds up invest it in some solid companies, or get risky and toss it in some small caps.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by to0p [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone else here buy / sell stocks, even on a small basis?
Figured we can have a thread with tips on investments we're currently involved in.

SFNS Summit Financial
Bought it at $0.51 now at $1.05

Forward looking companies:

TSLA Tesla Motors, IPO last month at $20/share
ESLR Evergreen Solar, $0.75/share, Solar companies will be the oil companies of our future.
Bought GT Solar (SOLR) for $2.20 a share...now $6.76....doesn't get the publicity that Evergreen does, but it has a much better financial picture.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

IMO, to0p's advice is good if you want to get into some small time stock trading, but do make sure you're already putting 10% of your income towards an IRA or 401(k).
Last edited by Extunarian; 08-04-2010 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

Newegg IPO soon, and following in Warren Buffett's investment advice of going with something you know I'm hoping to put a few thousand into Newegg. Best customer service online, and expanding into China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenjitsuRZ View Post
Multiplication is used at all levels.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by to0p [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Best advice I can give you is create a trading account with an online brokerage and toss in 10% of your monthly income, once it builds up invest it in some solid companies, or get risky and toss it in some small caps.
This is definitely a great way to get into it. While you're building up for your first couple purchases, I recommend doing some intensive reading into both fundamental and technical indicators. Mastering the interpretation of these is key to success in investing. Learn what signs indicate a swing or a bounce.

For instance: Assume a golden cross (50day moving average swings above 200day moving average, indicates bullish momentum), and a few days later you see the stochastics oversold and price below moving average price.. technically a great time to buy. Fundamentally though, look at the EPS, beta, daily volume vs average volume to see what people are doing. Technicals are usually a safe way to bet, but you can't always predict what people will do based on technicals alone.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewce [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is definitely a great way to get into it. While you're building up for your first couple purchases, I recommend doing some intensive reading into both fundamental and technical indicators. Mastering the interpretation of these is key to success in investing. Learn what signs indicate a swing or a bounce.

For instance: Assume a golden cross (50day moving average swings above 200day moving average, indicates bullish momentum), and a few days later you see the stochastics oversold and price below moving average price.. technically a great time to buy. Fundamentally though, look at the EPS, beta, daily volume vs average volume to see what people are doing. Technicals are usually a safe way to bet, but you can't always predict what people will do based on technicals alone.
For a bison farmer I did not expect this level of understanding [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. If you dont know what he's talking about go learn, because it is very 100% true. Understanding charts and fundementals is a huge benefit.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj218 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bought GT Solar (SOLR) for $2.20 a share...now $6.76....doesn't get the publicity that Evergreen does, but it has a much better financial picture.
Wow great P/E if they keep it up its a hell of a good investment, esp since they are 1/2 of IPO price.
Closed Thread