Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 01-22-2024, 08:45 AM
Aviak

Default QOL differences between P99 and TLP

I'm putting some finishing touches to the next episode which is about the quality of life differences between P99 and TLP's.

We used this list:
https://www.reddit.com/r/everquest/c...s_between_tlp/

Faster Exp Rate / No Hell Levels / No Class Penalties - Exp moves considerably faster than P99/classic, and there are no hell levels or exp penalties for classes.

Exp weighted towards Even+ Cons / Full Groups - Exp bonuses are weighted towards even+ cons and full groups. Players tend to favor full groups that are charm-heavy, as charm generates a ton of DPS like in P99.

Picks - As zones get crowded, a new "pick"of that zone will be created. You can use /pick to move to the newly created pick. This lets lots of people play in the same "zone" to help overcrowding.

Raid Instances - While guilds can compete in the open world for raid bosses, you can spawn a private instance of the zone with your guild and kill the raid bosses at your leisure. There is a cooldown on how often you can do this.

No corpse runs / smaller exp penalty upon death.

In-Game Maps - No need to have the P1999 wiki pulled up on the second monitor. In-game maps with TLPs!

LFG System / Global Chat Channels - An in-game LFG system and global chat channels really helps with forming groups.

Shared Banks / Parcel Merchants - Shared banks and parcel merchants in towns allow you to send items to characters.

Extended Target Window - Amazing tool. Can leave it on auto to show mobs aggro on your group. Or you can right click on it and choose targets. For example, as a raid cleric, I can put raid tanks in there that aren't in my group so I can monitor their health.

The Daybreak Store - 25% exp bonus potions for 4 hours is helpful but also lots of other little benefits. The 4 hour sow potion is incredible when a server starts, as is the 40 slot 100% weight reduction bag.

Advanced Loot Window - Takes getting used to but alleviates the need to manually right-click and loot every corpse.

Saved Spell Lists / No Re-Memorization Upon Death - Can save spell lists by right clicking on the spell book.

Weapon Augments - This lets tanks and especially warriors have a chance at generating aggro.

PCs Generally More Powerful - The power level of TLP characters is massively higher than P99. Most camps until you hit The Hole will be limited by mobs. Single pulling is almost never worth it especially with a charm pet that most groups over level 20 will have.

More Potions - Incredibly powerful. The greater concentration potions for mana regen, disease cure for bees/draco, heals, etc.

Origin - ALL classes get this at level 5. It's a teleport to your home town with a cooldown of 18 minutes.

/hidecorpse alwaysnpc - Hide all dead mobs but not player corpses.

Boats are optional - Gnomish translocators located near boats now instantly port players across oceans; boats are still available for rides.

Soulbinders - No need to beg for binds now; soulbinder NPCs can bind you at cities.

Easy Skill Increases - A built in skill catch up mechanic causes rapid skill increases if you fall behind in a skill.

Bandoliers - Easy weapon switching via hotkey.

No meditate button.

"Revamped" textures in many classic zones. Luclin player-model textures can be turned off and classic textures used.

Most pre-raid classic content available upon launch.

Some classic items will possess valuable focus effects disabled at classic but (i.e., increase to type damage, etc) available in later expansions.

TLPs allow boxing to various extents [Aradune: 2 box limit on two different devices).

No PNP. Certain players may attempt to train or KS you, but bad apples can be avoided via pick system.

Certain cash camps permacamped by RMT/neckbeards (GEBs).

Currency no longer weighs anything. Monks, rejoice.

Bards can use /melody to ease song twisting; rangers can AFK more with bow /autofire.

DPS Racing is the standard. FTE (first to engage) is considered a discretionary courtesy.

What are some of your thoughts on these? I'll include many of them in the episode.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2024, 10:20 AM
Aviak

I should have been clearer, sorry. What we are looking for are your comments on the pros and cons of any of the QOL differences. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2024, 11:46 PM
Sarnak

It's been a while since I played on a TLP but I remember you could also see what buffs/debuffs were on a target. Also the raid window. And of course, Krono.

Obviously I'm on p99 for a reason, quality is subjective. Some people love the raid instances, store potions, krono, free-trade and all that stuff. I would personally rather have a lower-level character with worse gear on p99.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:59 PM
Planar Protector

Individually none of the changes are deal breakers for the most part. But when you add them all up it makes the game feel completely different.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Individually none of the changes are deal breakers for the most part. But when you add them all up it makes the game feel completely different.
This part of the game is where I diverge from the p99 mentality, QOL implementations would be an improvement.

But, it is "not classic"

c'est la vie, p99 is what the devs make it, deal with it or leave
Old 01-24-2024, 07:53 AM
Aviak

A lot of these QOL differences on the TLP's seem to make the game easier, by a substantial amount. To me, this takes away some of the challenge and the sense of achievement. Yet, in converstations I've had, this doesn't mean a lot to some. In fact, I found myself agreeing with a lot of them with only a few hard passes.

What would you say, if anything, to proponents of either version?
Old 01-24-2024, 08:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most of these, by themselves, make it a completely different game. It's the brutal unfairness that made EQ so drawing (at least, for me). There are a number of other mmo's to play if you want "easy mode". It just doesn't feel the same when you accomplish anything, as compared to classic.

-Mcoy
Old 01-24-2024, 10:29 AM
Kobold

I wouldn't define any of this as quality of life improvements. In fact as someone who came back to the game after decades away (which seems to be like 95%+ of the people that are starting a new EQ account today) if you described any of these things as part of EQ I would have never came back to the game.

If I wanted to play a completely different game I certainly would pick one with modern graphics. Funny enough what made me hungry for EQ was trying the D4 beta when it first dropped before the retail release. Quite frankly the list of what you described sounds a lot more like D4 and if those things were appealing I would just play D4 and not EQ.

And that's without even considering other games Buldar's Gate 3 that dropped since I joined P99.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:24 PM
Kobold

For me personally, the revamped NPC textures like orcs and especially revamped zones like Nektulos, Lavastorm, Commons, etc. are a huge nostalgia breaker on TLPs. They're a constant reminder that you're not playing classic EQ.
Addiction (Officer) EQ Mayong - 2009-2010
Wudan (Member) EQ Rallos Zek - 2003-2004
Elven Crusaders (Officer) EQ Rallos Zek - 2000-2003
Old 01-24-2024, 07:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsude [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For me personally, the revamped NPC textures like orcs and especially revamped zones like Nektulos, Lavastorm, Commons, etc. are a huge nostalgia breaker on TLPs. They're a constant reminder that you're not playing classic EQ.
The revamped zones were horrible, for the most part. Freeport in particular was atrocious. I wouldn't call those "QOL" by any means.