Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Large Rat

Default Frame Skipping occurring at random intervals

Hello,

I recently started on P1999, and am trying to play Bard. I am having an issue with swarm kiting though, as for some reason, every 10-30 seconds, there will be a stutter or frameskip, and when that happens I often lose mouse control and mobs chasing me will catch up.

I've already followed the steps in the Dual Core thread, thinking it may have been that. I am running EQ with Affinity set for 1 core, as well as running it in "Realtime" priority. I have turned off all particle effects. My graphics card drivers are up to date. I also can't find any more information via google for anyone having this same problem. The game runs perfectly fine with no issues or lag, EXCEPT for these occasional stutters.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'd really like to Bard but this is making it completely unplayable.

My PC is a custom build:
Intel i7 920 (Quad core, hyperthreading)
Radeon HD 5850
12GB Triple Channel DDR3 RAM
120GB Solid State system drive
2TB Sata RAID Storage
Old 10-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Banned

do these stutters occur when someone enters the zone? heard that might cause it
Old 10-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Large Rat

Hmm, I haven't heard that. I will try a more deserted zone and see if it makes a difference.

*Edit* Confirmed! That does seem to be causing it. I have done /who in East Commons, then immediately after a stutter I do /who again immediately, and another player has zoned in. I have tested this a few times and the same result occurs every time.

Is there a way to fix this?
Last edited by desuka; 10-13-2012 at 02:08 AM..
Old 10-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

Have you tried turning down your settings a notch? I know my laptop struggles to handle the game on "high" settings (believe it or not, only 2 years old).
Old 10-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Banned

Ec isnt a great zone to do it in.. isnt there always like 100+ ppl in there? (i play on red)
Old 10-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Kobold

Do you have the latest firmware on your SSD? I was getting this when running EQ from my 120gig Crucial SSD. I copied the EQ folder over to my platter drive and didn't have any issues. After I updated the firmware it stopped happening.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Large Rat

I actually had EQ installed on my HDD instead of my SSD. Since it's only 120GB I try not to put much on it.

However, I have just reinstalled EQ Titanium, this time on the SSD. After patching with the Launcher, I am now playing and it seems to be working fine. No more stutters. I suppose it was just taking it too long to seek and retrieve the model information as someone one zoning in.

Thanks for your help, everyone, in narrowing down the issue.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Banned

good stuff