Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No not necessarily, but i want to be able to get some challange if i choose to. If you want to play a ROLE PLAY GAME freaking role play and not let the computer do everything for you. Simple as that. And i do not need to pretend everyone else is like me, because i know they are not. Good for you if you are a miniority, but i require a game to challange me. That does not mean i need huge punishments or no ingame maps, it simply means i dont want everything handed to me. You could draw ingame maps once you explored that area maybe, or be able to set PoIs on your maps where you saw a NPC or a potential quest giver, there are so many freaking possibilities. But no, you get a minimap with flashing icons that show you exactly where you have to go, take you by the hand like a 10 year old to complete a quest. That is not my idea of fun, its stupifying.
That's your opinion. I find doing quests over and over with groups to be stupifying. Believe it ir not, but some people think they shouldn't have to make the map or buy one. Some people would rather focus on the rest of the game. A lot of people don't enjoy cartography or map making or traveling blind or doing it with only a compass. It's like /follow in everquest. Most people like it, but some people think it's stupifying. An in-game map that has bells and whistles doesn't make someone dumb if they're using their mental resources elsewhere.

Me and you can sit here all day and talk about how cool games can be without everything in front of us. Without all of our buttons and icons and indicators and audio triggers. Should random maps have an in-game map or should it use fog of war or no in-game map at all? But it would all be for not because we're hardcore. What we like doesn't apply to mainstream. It's apples and oranges. It's a waste of time. Now, if we want to make our own game or we want to help make a niche game then it makes all the sense in the world.

Bottom line, most people want a game they can, literally, pause at any moment. A game where they can make measurable progress. A game that won't require them to compromise their RL to play. Many of these people have significant real-life commitments or they're married too. Some of them just don't have 20+ hours to devote to a game per week. There will always be exceptions, but I think that the MMORPG market as it's makes it pretty clear what most people want. That does not mean there can't be niches! That does not mean that a single guy working a 40 hour per week job can't play a game that demands more from him. Some people are fine with a game that demands their attention and if they leave for 1 min it'll get them killed. But most aren't.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 12-06-2010 at 04:21 PM..
Old 12-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Fire Giant

You obviously do not get my point. It does not matter, you can have that "pause at any moment" you dont have to do quests with groups or what not. There are so many ways to make a game challanging. Throwing everything at someone for almost no effort is not one of them.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The game developers didn't want to cater to an audience that didn't speak up.. yeah, you end up being a minority when millions upon millions of people want to sign onto XBox Live and call each other faggots and play horrible quality rap music over their mics.

No one wants to create a good game when there's no one there to urge them on. Finding enough of a market for a niche game that's good enough to push the marketing/accounting department out the window and tell them to fuck the right off is next to impossible because everyone became complacent with crap.

Yeah, maybe hardcore gamers are a minority, but take a look at your words - inferiority complex springs to mind. "We don't matter" isn't what a young bright-eyed dev team wants to hear. Look at P99: You have people doing it for free because they love the idea of recreating something that was monumentally amazing. Even 10 years later we all log on to play this game whether we hate it or not, because it IS hardcore in comparison. A good portion would probably pay for it because Sony shit on everyone with their progression servers, and there isn't anything like this available on the market. A good thing came along and we've finally jumped on the bandwagon.

We have every reason to be disenfranchised - software publishing companies said to sit down when we complained, and we sat down. We lost the right to a share in the market of future video games when everyone stayed hunkered down in their parent's basement to beat Super Mario Bros 2 for the 10th time since they woke up.
Crocodile tears. You act like we got no options. One of those options is p1999, like you stated.

Another one is this:
http://www.dawntide.net/

Pretty hardcore. The question is, how will it do when it launches, and will you stand behind it? When games fail, the first thing they do is throw out the hardcore features. It all depends on what we do.

The only thing I don't like about dawntide is that it's pvp-enabled. Pvp MMORPGs don't normally do well.

And we got countless single player RPGs and little known but f2p mmorpgs (like uo emulators). There're also many MUDs, some free and some p2p. They rock in the gameplay department, but the text gfx holds them back.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 12-06-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Old 12-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The flashy graphics look nice. The world "rift" spawns look, lame. I think it will be fun for like, a week. After that, I'm not going to waste my time killing AI that spawns repeatedly in different places.

I guess the thing that most people are looking forward to in this game is world PVP, with the distraction of these PVE rifts. For instance, care bear player A gets off on killing Rift mobs, while psychopathic player B gets off on hunting player A while he's distracted.

I'm the player B type of person, but I see that trick losing its fun factor pretty quick.

If you guys are looking for raw PVP, the best PVP game ever made was Shadowbane. It was brought down last summer, but they are working on an emulator known as Play to Crush.

Probably the second most addicting game I've ever played, next to EQ, and slightly more fun due to the PVP factor.

Other than that, Rift = WoW + Aion + some silver lining. That's what I'm seeing here.
I'm also waiting for this to go live. Not only is PVP is Shadowbane great, but the level of depth in regards to character development is unequaled.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:13 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What bothered me in WoW more than anything were the pop culture references in a fantasy setting.

Have you ever looked into the Easter Eggs that you can find in EQ?
Old 12-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKromwell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you ever looked into the Easter Eggs that you can find in EQ?
The level of subtlety in comparison is glaring.
Closed Thread