Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 11-14-2023, 10:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why would I bring a Warrior for DPS?
That wasn't the discussion, it's about who in the tank role is doing more damage and thus contributing to the group killing more.

Monk > Warrior > (Ranger if they are a good enough tank for the content) > Shadowknight > Paladin

But besides just the tank role, groups don't always have the option of forming the exact ideal setup. You just take who is available, so it's a question of which class is better on average. Warriors not only contribute more in the tank role on average, they also can serve as DPS while not tanking for a group. Paladins can't do that very well. 2 Warriors in a group is going to kill far more than 2 Paladins, except in the case of the Paladins being the only healers around.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:42 AM
Planar Protector

Genuinely curious where are these parses where wars just blow away knight dps, especially in velious. Tuna sword knights have surpassed rogues in certain fights.

I leveled a war to 60 with KT axe. Not the best weapon but fairly decent at 37/36 with good stats. Honestly never felt like I was doing special dps.

If you really want to play a war, then find a group who will let you zerk while the knight actually tanks.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:58 AM
Planar Protector

I have nothing against warriors, or any class. In normal content where a group are killing non-raid bosses Paladins and SK's hold up very close to Warriors. In some cases, they may even do more dps. Tanking or not. Mainly because of easy access to 1.0-1.15 or better ratio 2hs and they dont need to use "tanking weapons" to hold aggro.

Warriors can and do more damage than knights but there is always fine print to it. Usually with a non-aggro/good ratio 2h. Or with zerking. Or with offensive discs. Often with higher level raid mosses where the attack difference really shines. It's nice warriors have a few different gears to use depending on what they are doing. Knights mainly trade those performance perks for versatility and aggro.
Old 11-15-2023, 02:36 AM
Fire Giant

Let's say we have an awesome composition here: 2 Rogues, 1 Enchanter, 1 Cleric, 1 Monk. I'm heading off to Seb. I have a choice between Warrior or Paladin. Guess which one I'm going to pick?

I contribute to spell interrupts with stuns and bash. I save Enchanters from charm breaks via stun, taunt and being incredibly tanky, and I give them Divine Strength to make this extra safe, and I LoH just in case it goes really south. I ensure my Enchanter and Cleric can spend their mana on things other than root with my snap aggro, whilst I basically never run out of mana. I can also help my Cleric with group heals if mana permits, of which there will be plenty with C2. I make my group more idiot proof and less exhausting.

You're saying I should trade all that for some extra DPS and survivability? Even though I have two Rogues, monk and a charmed pet, am still a brick shithouse, and I have an Enchanter for slows and Cleric for CH.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:11 AM
Planar Protector

Both war and paladin are useless in that group (:

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 11-15-2023, 04:29 AM
Fire Giant

Elaborate, perhaps? I'm not seeing the uselessness here. This is a group that can take on some seriously nasty stuff.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:45 AM
Kobold

I don't know if yall either don't have a geared 60 warrior or don't play with any, but you are underselling what beats they are in groups
Old 11-15-2023, 05:58 AM
Fire Giant

I listed why I'd prefer a Paladin over a Warrior in a group.

It's time to start facing facts: Warrior is an incredibly boring and poorly designed class. I start out as the crappiest class in the entire game, and I need a mountain of platinum and/or a lot of help to even start being worthwhile. I need to rely on a person in my group to actually do my job properly -- that's even with good aggro proc weapons.

And in the end, my only true purpose is to tank raid bosses. Which, whilst important, is incredibly stupid in a game designed around a group doing dungeon crawls together. It was only until Verant was out of the picture that the new developers realised how moronic it was for Warriors to not even have a unique ability to hold aggro.

Warriors suck. End of story. Case closed. I don't like having them in my group because
I don't like having to rely on others, who may be incredibly stupid and lazy, to enable them. Barely any Warriors I've grouped with even ask for a damn root, so they're also partially to blame.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:00 AM
Kobold

State facts then go on to give nothing but opinion.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:13 AM
Fire Giant

You just made a statement that people are underselling them, but you didn't even elaborate how. Why? Because you know, deep down, you have no argument.

Amazing gear on a defensive discipline machine masquerading as a proper class. That's all you're basically arguing. I'm not underselling amazing gear by any means.

Why the hell would I want them over a Monk or a knight?