Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-04-2024, 04:33 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Cleric or Paladin on Green

I'm just getting back into Everquest and Project 1999 after a long hiatus. I love grouping and playing a Paladin or Cleric. How in demand are Clerics & Paladins in groups and raids while leveling and at end game?

Cheers
Old 08-04-2024, 08:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leorus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm just getting back into Everquest and Project 1999 after a long hiatus. I love grouping and playing a Paladin or Cleric. How in demand are Clerics & Paladins in groups and raids while leveling and at end game?

Cheers
They both basically press 1 button during raid fights and buff people. Paladins get to tank trash sometimes if they are geared, but you are really just there to cast one buff and heal rogues during fights

Play what you want to be immersed in. Role play a little. Have fun.
Old 08-05-2024, 02:33 AM
Orc

Cleric imo every raiding guild needs them. Leveling wise they can act like a paladin pretty effective early on too haha.

Late leveling pairing with an enchanter you can level fairly quickly / find groups pretty well but obv your solo is not the best (pala or cleric in that regard though)
Old 08-05-2024, 02:53 AM
Sarnak

I'm gonna pop a curve ball on this and say wizard.
It feels like there are "too many" clerics on the server right now.
Every single raid guild has literal throngs of cleric bots ready for any of their members to pick up and play. I don't think it's an issue of "needing more clerics" at this point.

The same couldn't be said of DPS though, which is why I suggest wizard.
I've seen quite a few paladins, lots of monks, but the spellcasters seem to be dwindling far more than others.

I'd say if you're stuck on the choice between paladin and cleric, go paladin.
Old 08-05-2024, 03:28 AM
Planar Protector

Wizard isn’t a dps class.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-05-2024, 09:52 AM
Fire Giant

Ignore Rimotto, he's just shitposting.

Both Cleric and Paladin are fine for grouping but you'll have an easier time with a Cleric finding groups I should think and having gate is just great overall.

Super geared pala can solo some plat camps, otherwise even worse soloer than cleric.
Old 08-05-2024, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

Two totally different experiences.

I'd say cleric though. Can group with literally anybody and can always use an extra one raiding.

Acquire DKP and use it on your paladin mega twink alt after you're "done" with cleric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old 08-05-2024, 10:33 AM
Planar Protector

Cleric...BUT play it as a paladin. It's a TON of fun (especially pre-50, when you can easily main tank).

Pre 20 you are just as good as a paladin in terms of tanking + damage. And after that your buffs + damage spells mean you can still pull your own.
Old 08-05-2024, 10:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cleric...BUT play it as a paladin. It's a TON of fun (especially pre-50, when you can easily main tank).

Pre 20 you are just as good as a paladin in terms of tanking + damage. And after that your buffs + damage spells mean you can still pull your own.
no, just no

find an enchanter to duo with

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old 08-05-2024, 11:55 AM
Fire Giant

Cleric.

Max charisma + gear for charisma.

MVP build is human innoruuk or gnome bertoxx. I like gnome for vall vision. I like human for snare. Both can wear BiS robe.

Approach every single situation with the mindset of 'what can I do, so that I do not need to cast a heal'. Cleric's greatest strength is in the tools they have to not need to heal. Healing is inefficient in EQ. Clerics are the best class at the least efficient thing to do. Stopping damage from happening is in every single situation far more efficient than healing it. Pacify, Root, Atone, Stun, (and dare I say fear) are tools you have that stop damage from happening. You're also one of the easiest classes to stack AC on and have a pair of DA's, so being that person taking the risk play is pretty survivable.

Then get 60 and be bored because 'press 1 when it is time' is your life.

Make new cleric, repeat process.