Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 12-09-2022, 10:10 PM
Large Rat

Default Server Suggestion for New Player?

I havent played since original release, and tried a new cleric on both Blue and Green. Outside of someone assisting with power leveling briefly on Blue, i have never found a group. At all. Not even one time. I typically log on for a bit, I am in constant LFG mode. Typically i just log back off after a bit - I think everyone is twinked out and going solo, or much higher level. It is quite discouraging. I was hoping that the Green server would have a reset, but from what I can tell there still has not been any dates set, or mention of any new servers.

I wanted to see what the general consensus is for a new player regarding where to start.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2022, 11:16 PM
Planar Protector

First off, there's a very good (though no longer guaranteed) chance that the two servers will merge within a year. See https://wiki.project1999.com/Green#How_Will_it_Work.3F

Second, both servers are all but identical at this point, code-wise. Both are set at the end of Velious, just before Luclin (and neither will ever reach Luclin).

Finally, both servers have healthy populations, including plenty of people leveling up alts (ie. there are potential groups at all levels on both servers). Both servers also have guilds welcoming people, at all levels of the game.

So where does that leave you? Basically comparing on population/economy. Blue, being the older and "beta" server, has far more of many items in its economy, meaning those items will be cheaper for you to acquire. In general players on Blue will have better gear, and you're more likely to be given nicer gifts on Blue.

But, Green's economy is closer to live's (ie. "real" EQ) because it has only existed for a bit over two years. So if you want to avoid "twinks", and players with a million alts, Green is probably a better bet (although it does have some twinks/many alt players also).

Again, there's really no bad choice, and in a year it might not even matter which you pick.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:45 AM
Skeleton

Just to throw in, it might also depend on which area you are looking in. Like I ran a Halfling over to Blackburrow thinking it would be full of people...hardly any (in green) and I log out after a while. However, I've found a bunch of groups on my Human SK in East Commonlands. That place is crazy with people almost through out the day. Not everyone is looking for a party, not sure what level you are, but if you're level 5+ there's sometimes people looking for orc camp group people! Sometimes if you just run up on an orc camp you can get an invite right away. Other times there's a high level camping the named orc there. Just depends (as I've seen). Also, joining a guild really helps!
Old 12-10-2022, 02:53 AM
Planar Protector

Good call Perplexed. https://wiki.project1999.com/Group_Hunting_Spots can give you some idea of which areas are more popular for groups, but only some, as it's a bit of an under-developed page right now.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:57 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good call Perplexed. https://wiki.project1999.com/Group_Hunting_Spots can give you some idea of which areas are more popular for groups, but only some, as it's a bit of an under-developed page right now.
Thank you, I will take a look - so far i have only found very short lived pity groups where someone groups with me briefly before they go back to solo. Everyone is a twink - so I am constantly trying to fend for myself solo, which i do not have the gear to be able to do. I am burning out fast - chances are ill quit before a green reset ever comes because i am not here to play the game solo.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:27 PM
Banned

Green.

The only reason I'm on Blue is because I have so many existing characters on there.

If I wanted a more fresh experience, absolutely Green.

Blue is top heavy, and all the "new" characters are twinked and soloing.
Old 12-12-2022, 05:53 PM
Sarnak

On the blue server, I've had good luck with pickup groups in Unrest and Mistmoore, and occasionally Crushbone. I've seen groups in Befallen occasionally as well.

I'd be curious if anyone has suggestions on good areas for groups for level 40-50. Is City of Mist the best bet? Anything else worth checking out?
Old 12-12-2022, 06:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you, I will take a look - so far i have only found very short lived pity groups where someone groups with me briefly before they go back to solo. Everyone is a twink - so I am constantly trying to fend for myself solo, which i do not have the gear to be able to do. I am burning out fast - chances are ill quit before a green reset ever comes because i am not here to play the game solo.
As a Cleric you can solo!

Essentially you play like a battle Wizard ... but you only fight undead monsters. In other words, you fight by nuking an undead monster while you melee it, and then when you are low on mana/HP you go sit somewhere safe until you have full mana.

If you go to https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide and click Cleric at the top (it takes a second to load) you can even see a series of places to hunt.

However, that's really only ideal for when you have short play periods or feel anti-social: Clerics are definitely a group class by nature. And on that note, keep in mind that you don't need a full group! You and pretty much any melee character will make a mean duo, plus you can also group with Enchanters (and Magicians/Necromancers to a lesser extent) and have their pet tank while you heal it.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:52 PM
Fire Giant

Green. Offering vastly discounted PLs for new toons
Old 12-14-2022, 07:14 AM
Planar Protector

Sadly it isn't like LIVE on either server, with people puttering around doing -whatever- in zones like Qeynos where the EXP isn't too quick and not many items are worth troubling for when you can get kunark and velious scraps for pennies on the dollar.

Like, everyone knows that Unrest is the best place to be for all the mid levels, and east commons for low levels because of buffs from people in tunnel.

Such is life.
Lost but not forgotten.