Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 07-29-2022, 06:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Japan has entered the chat.
Quote:
Are bullet trains expensive in Japan?
It is rarely worth buying single tickets even if you're planning to visit just 2 places. The cost of a round-trip from Tokyo to Kyoto costs 26,160 yen by Shinkansen train. This is almost the cost of a traditional 7-day Japan Rail Pass (29,110 yen).Jun 23, 2021 that will get you to your destination slower but at a much better price.
Kyoto - tokyo by air:
Jetstar
1h 25m
Nonstop
from $38
Old 07-29-2022, 06:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kyoto - tokyo by air:
Jetstar
1h 25m
Nonstop
from $38
Sure but the plane will have more filthy gaijan.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Japan has entered the chat.
Jib just likes airline lobbyists fleecing the US for hundreds of billions over the decades
Old 07-29-2022, 06:51 PM
Fire Giant

Awww, thanks for the shout out lol. Nice to know you’re thinking of me.

Here's why high speed trains can be better than planes, in my not so humble opinion.

Let’s say you’re checking a bag. How much extra does that cost with the airline? I would bet that if you take that cheap easyjet flight, and actually book it with a checked bag, it's going to be a lot more than what they're advertising. Those cheap advertised flights are also usually only at shit times. Train has no baggage fees, weight limits, or restricted items. And with the airline there's a chance that your bag doesn't show up at the destination. It's happened to me a few times, and it's aggravating and inconvenient as fuck.

Where are the airports in relation to where you’re going, or coming from? Usually airports are anywhere from 30-60 minutes from downtown. Trains usually drop off directly in or near the downtown. So while planes might seem faster, sometimes that’s an illusion.

Taking a plane means you need to suffer through the airport experience. Gotta get there two hours early if you’ve got bags to check. Even longer now with how fucked airports are currently. Theres multiple lines you have to wait in as you go through baggage, security, and passport control. Then with whatever time you have left you wander around aimlessly, try to relax at your gate, or spend too much money on shitty food. And you have to deal with a bunch of other dipshits. Airports are full of dipshits. With a train you show up a few minutes early and walk right on the bitch.

Airplanes are also miserable. Cramped seats and recycled air. Food is terrible. No way to escape the screaming baby two seats over. Etc. Trains are much more comfortable, and have way more room to move around and stretch. The Shinkansen in Japan is a delight to ride in. You can bring your own food and booze onboard. Usually wifi on the train is free, or you have cell service the whole time. There’s nice big windows to stare out of, and if you’re lucky some cool scenery. When I went Amsterdam to Paris I looked up where the WWI western front was and made sure I noticed when we passed over it. It's just a bunch of farmland now, but still it's cool to look at.

Trains aren’t always better, but sometimes they are. Depends on a number of factors.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaveh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Jib just likes airline lobbyists fleecing the US for hundreds of billions over the decades
Quote:
The $105 billion bullet train project — for which $10.3 billion has been spent so far — would be the largest single investment in state history,
California high-speed rail still in limbo - CalMatters

You're just a commie at this point.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depends on a number of factors.
But youll fight that theyre better though right? You wont conceed that Im right, because you want to fight?

Your best argument for train tavel is:

WALK your carryon bag from downtown to your hotel.

Or that I might be traveling 250 miles with a giant "checked" bag.

Quote:
Trains are much more comfortable, and have way more room to move around and stretch
That's because they take 5-10 times longer!

Again, I love the idea of high speed rail, but the reaason we dont have it is because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
a number of factors.
Mainly being: where they DO have it its cheeper to fly so the majority of travelers (buisness) do that. Sorry they dont check bags - and they get free door to door service instead of dragging their "giant checked baggage's" down the foreign street they never been on.
Last edited by Jibartik; 07-29-2022 at 07:01 PM..
Old 07-29-2022, 06:55 PM
Planar Protector

California has to approve rail going through lizard habitats. That’s on them for being dumb

Eisenhower connected the country in the 1940s and 50s. You would’ve opposed that with similar nonsensical arguments
Old 07-29-2022, 06:59 PM
Planar Protector

Plane tickets would be way more expensive if we didn’t bailout airlines

We did this in the financial crisis and the pandemic. Your prices aren’t a reflection of what we’re actually paying, but you’ve done well quoting lobbyists
Old 07-29-2022, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

I agree we should not bail out airlines, but we dont bail out foreign airlines..

I only linked foreign airlines.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:04 PM
Planar Protector

Europeans do the same shit, it’s not reflective of what we pay to fly

Not to mention Boeing and airbus