Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 02-02-2022, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As far as epics go, paying for everything sounds extremely boring and lame. Part of the fun with epics is the feeling of accomplishment having done the whole quest. Not only the great feeling when you finally finish all the grindy solo parts, but also having people come together to help you with the portions that you need multiple groups (or at least a group) to take down. That’s what EQ is all about.

If you’re paying for your entire epic you might as well go play WoW or some other “single player MMO”. Farming plat solo and then buying your epic and avoiding all interaction with others…seems like you’re missing the point of what makes EQ great
This game has plenty of solo oriented classes/content, I'm not sure what's up with this "group or gtfo" mentality that I've been seeing on the forums lately. There's nothing like a good dungeon crawl with some buddies, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the game doing some solo stuff, especially when you have limited playtime. I'm not trying to say to avoid people at all costs, I'm just saying epics aren't necessarily as difficult to acquire as people think they are. You don't need to be this hardcore raider doing crazy things in the middle of the night to make it happen. Monk epic especially is not that difficult, you might need some raid help for a few of the parts but you can get that pretty easily in any guild as a casual. People are pretty generous around here, ask around and you will find help eventually if you don't wish to go the MQ route.
Old 02-02-2022, 03:49 PM
Kobold

feel like instancing some raids, at least planes might make it less of a headache for gms to manage.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:31 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People are pretty generous around here, ask around and you will find help eventually if you don't wish to go the MQ route.
There are a lot of helpful people, but begging for randoms to help you with epics feels the same as paying for it, personally. I'd feel embarassed asking randoms to help me with a raid target and I wouldn't feel happy about finally getting the epic because the feeling that you leeched it will always stain the memory. Same for joining a guild just for loot, which is what even the casual ones are really all about. They'll give unguilded alts epic pieces before newer guild members without a second thought, by the time you get your epic even in a "friendly casual" guild you'll be bitter.

It's basically the difference between soloing/grouping to level and begging for buffs/buying PLs, except on a more memorable scale. Everyone is so loot focused that epics are always gonna taste sour unless you bring a big group of friends into the game together or have no shame in how you obtain them, 'cuz most guilds aren't that friendly EQ1 experience. They're either a close-knit group of cringelords making a guild that randoms join or they're a big farming guild where you're unlikely to make friends. In my experience, anyway.

On-topic, I barely touched green 1 due to IRL stuff, but I re-learned that Luclin doesn't exist in more ways than one. Night be dark, y'all.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:33 PM
Sarnak

Despite p1999 having been around for a decade, some people are still bad at EQ.

The server is far to hospitable to newbies and bad players.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As far as epics go, paying for everything sounds extremely boring and lame. Part of the fun with epics is the feeling of accomplishment having done the whole quest. Not only the great feeling when you finally finish all the grindy solo parts, but also having people come together to help you with the portions that you need multiple groups (or at least a group) to take down. That’s what EQ is all about.

If you’re paying for your entire epic you might as well go play WoW or some other “single player MMO”. Farming plat solo and then buying your epic and avoiding all interaction with others…seems like you’re missing the point of what makes EQ great
Not everyone has a guild or reliable friends they can call on. I'm sure most folks if given the choice would earn their epic the original way. I'm sure not everyone can relate but those memories of asking for help with things only to be met with crickets rings strong with a lot of us.

If my epic were buyable (I'm not sure if it is) I'd certainly consider it.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are a lot of helpful people, but begging for randoms to help you with epics feels the same as paying for it, personally. I'd feel embarassed asking randoms to help me with a raid target and I wouldn't feel happy about finally getting the epic because the feeling that you leeched it will always stain the memory. Same for joining a guild just for loot, which is what even the casual ones are really all about. They'll give unguilded alts epic pieces before newer guild members without a second thought, by the time you get your epic even in a "friendly casual" guild you'll be bitter.

It's basically the difference between soloing/grouping to level and begging for buffs/buying PLs, except on a more memorable scale. Everyone is so loot focused that epics are always gonna taste sour unless you bring a big group of friends into the game together or have no shame in how you obtain them, 'cuz most guilds aren't that friendly EQ1 experience. They're either a close-knit group of cringelords making a guild that randoms join or they're a big farming guild where you're unlikely to make friends. In my experience, anyway.

On-topic, I barely touched green 1 due to IRL stuff, but I re-learned that Luclin doesn't exist in more ways than one. Night be dark, y'all.
So by this logic the only way to honorably achieve your epic is to get a big group of friends into the game together to help you? If one has that many "friends" that they can call upon at any moment to make that happen, I'd probably feel worse because that would likely have meant I've neglected my actual real life friends to make more in game.

I'll continue to collect my epics through my earned money/guild support to assist with things that I don't have the time for, feels plenty rewarding to me. Sorry for your bad guild experiences, mine have been pleasant for the most part.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry for your bad guild experiences, mine have been pleasant for the most part.
I've been in a few guilds on this server. Two I ended up leaving because they were filled with uncaring, snarky buttheads and I felt no sense of comraderie in them. Another one claimed to be helpful but never actually wanted to do anything with me.

One I just won't join because my unguilded characters get spam messages from them all the time. I don't think I'm going to find my forever home in a mass-invite guild.

There's one I'm currently in that is great. The guildchat is quirky at times, folks are nice and chill and I enjoy their company. But that guild? Dial a Port. You know what they're about, and I don't think they can muster epic help for me anytime soon.

It isn't so easy to find a good guild in this game for everyone.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:41 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
So by this logic the only way to honorably achieve your epic is to get a big group of friends into the game together to help you? If one has that many "friends" that they can call upon at any moment to make that happen, I'd probably feel worse because that would likely have meant I've neglected my actual real life friends to make more in game.

I'll continue to collect my epics through my earned money/guild support to assist with things that I don't have the time for, feels plenty rewarding to me. Sorry for your bad guild experiences, mine have been pleasant for the most part.
Best to not waste your time on narrow-minded people who think their way of playing the game is the only way to play the game.

My personal opinion is that what makes EQ great is there are so many different ways to progress/enjoy the game and you're free to pick and choose which avenues suit you.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:59 PM
Sarnak

I relearned that a close group of friends you can hang out with beats everything else.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

I learned 3 years takes a long time.

Which is probably the best news I've heard in the last few years.