Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 11-29-2022, 01:50 PM
Kobold

Default How difficult was it to get Mage pets on Green release?

When Green originally released, there were no vendors for pets, right? Or at least, at a certain level they stopped being sold?

How difficult was it for new Mages to get pet upgrades?
Were higher level Mages just stuck with pets that were like 20 levels under them?
Old 11-29-2022, 02:10 PM
Fire Giant

Yes.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

I've heard varying accounts, but the majority seem to be that it was very difficult. Some people had an easier time, but there will always be those who luck out on the RNG and get the research component drops they need. Although I seem to remember that some of the spells weren't even in the game for the first couple months, research or not (someone else could confirm that though).

Occasionally you could find a caster who had leveled up research a lot and had mats as well, but that was pricey.

Worth noting though that a lot of later mage pets are research only regardless, so having like one pet available on a vendor isn't absolutely a massive improvement anyway.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:28 PM
Kobold

mages were limited to their lvl34(?) pet until something like the solro patch

basically they were severely underpowered at launch once you got to 39+

Quote:
Worth noting though that a lot of later mage pets are research only regardless, so having like one pet available on a vendor isn't absolutely a massive improvement anyway.
That's not true at all because that 1 vendor mage pet at 44 and 49 is much better than being stuck with your 34 pet
Old 11-29-2022, 08:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEdvardo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

That's not true at all because that 1 vendor mage pet at 44 and 49 is much better than being stuck with your 34 pet
For sure,I leveled my velious era mage with vendor only pets until 50+. Slightly inconvenient at a couple levels at the worst
Old 11-29-2022, 09:47 PM
Kobold

Hmm, I also remember most groups taking Mages over like everything else during the first couple months. I remember it was mostly Mages who were easily camping a lot of those limited time items as well, right?

Were they really doing that with just the level 34 pets?
Old 11-29-2022, 11:17 PM
Planar Protector

Forget the early days of the deliberately missing pets, the words for 49 pet spell research were like tens of thousands of plat per page in classic. Yes, the same words everyone starts deleting left and right in Kunark. Shit was stupid.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For sure,I leveled my velious era mage with vendor only pets until 50+. Slightly inconvenient at a couple levels at the worst
If you’re soloing sure
Old 11-30-2022, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forget the early days of the deliberately missing pets, the words for 49 pet spell research were like tens of thousands of plat per page in classic. Yes, the same words everyone starts deleting left and right in Kunark. Shit was stupid.
I'm guessing that'll be the same way again on Green 2.0?

I was thinking of going Mage this time around myself, but if it's going to be that hard / expensive to get pets, I dunno bout it ... lol
Old 11-30-2022, 06:41 PM
Planar Protector

A lot of forum posts complained about the difficulty. I then found a weird thing happening where all the low level kithkor day mobs dropped all types of spell crafting ingredients and the zone was getting super farmed by mages for a bit until the spell update patch

don't know if they fixed kithkor but keep it open as an option for easy words and stuff maybe