Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 11-03-2022, 03:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My gut would say that there's only 2 reasonable explanations:

1. A disgruntled person with access to the database decided to troll people as a send-off for leaving the project.

2. Someone with access to the database didn't realize they were operating on the production database and was doing some pretty heinously irresponsible queries to test something.

It would've only been a "code bug" if they happened to deploy a patch right before this happened. If that happened, then yeah, very likely a bug. You can't have "random code bugs" without deploying new code. They would've said that though instead of explaining what it actually was because it's usually too painful to explain how software actually works to people, it's easier to just tuck it under a generalized umbrella term.

The locations are interesting, they all sound like locations new characters start in. It could've just been a bad query that set everyone's login position to a new character's start location when they're made instead of just that new character. It moved because people made new characters and it updated it again for everyone. They would be in convenient locations in cities because that's where new characters start? Do any classes spawn in front of the bank in Oggok?

I wasn't there, those would all be my guesses though.
Only 3 classes for Ogre. None start in front of Warrior GM or in front of banker.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:07 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-03-2022, 04:08 PM
Banned

Old 11-03-2022, 04:09 PM
Banned

Old 11-04-2022, 11:00 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My gut would say that there's only 2 reasonable explanations:

1. A disgruntled person with access to the database decided to troll people as a send-off for leaving the project.

2. Someone with access to the database didn't realize they were operating on the production database and was doing some pretty heinously irresponsible queries to test something.

It would've only been a "code bug" if they happened to deploy a patch right before this happened. If that happened, then yeah, very likely a bug. You can't have "random code bugs" without deploying new code. They would've said that though instead of explaining what it actually was because it's usually too painful to explain how software actually works to people, it's easier to just tuck it under a generalized umbrella term.

The locations are interesting, they all sound like locations new characters start in. It could've just been a bad query that set everyone's login position to a new character's start location when they're made instead of just that new character. It moved because people made new characters and it updated it again for everyone. They would be in convenient locations in cities because that's where new characters start? Do any classes spawn in front of the bank in Oggok?

I wasn't there, those would all be my guesses though.
My guess is option #1.

Most telling by looking at forums / discord from the day- easily searchable for July 8th 2022

member saying “do somewhere classy like felwithe” and then the spawn point being changed to in front of felwithe cleric GM (no new player spawns here)

Then they suggested qeynos catacombs and wouldn’t ya know the next spot was qeynos catacombs.

Then they suggested cabilis and as luck would have it the next spqwn loc was cabilis
Old 11-04-2022, 10:44 PM
Planar Protector

Who would have access to the DB besides GMs? Would they even have access?
Old 11-05-2022, 03:39 AM
Planar Protector

I met a player who liked to do bug testing on P99. He would find exploits, explore them, document them, and send the info to the P99 devs so they could fix it. He said one time when the devs went to fix one of the bugs he had uncovered, they accidentally created the Oggok wormhole. Further speculation is for the bored.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:05 AM
Planar Protector

For the love of the Prophets! It's the Celestial Temple, not the "wormhole"!

-Mcoy
Old 11-05-2022, 10:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I met a player who liked to do bug testing on P99. He would find exploits, explore them, document them, and send the info to the P99 devs so they could fix it. He said one time when the devs went to fix one of the bugs he had uncovered, they accidentally created the Oggok wormhole. Further speculation is for the bored.
False
Old 11-05-2022, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
False
my dad who invented nintendo once let me work there for a day and I accidentally tripped on one of the computers there and that was the same time as oggok wormhole.. I dont think it was my fault but it sure was a coincidence.