Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 11-14-2022, 07:27 PM
Fire Giant

Default Wizard Epic farming options?

Got my epic recently, just wondering, are there any camps that this kind of opens up that you couldn't do previously? There's some AOE farming I've done with manaskin that just gets expensive/mana intensive having to replace it that often, like Crystalline Silk / velium ore, but wondering if there's any particularly big camps you can handle once you have the epic you couldn't do easily before?
Old 11-19-2022, 05:33 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Got my epic recently, just wondering, are there any camps that this kind of opens up that you couldn't do previously? There's some AOE farming I've done with manaskin that just gets expensive/mana intensive having to replace it that often, like Crystalline Silk / velium ore, but wondering if there's any particularly big camps you can handle once you have the epic you couldn't do easily before?
Not really. The Epic Rune doesn't last that long when you're actually getting hit. Mostly just nice because it saves you having to bring a stack of peridots for rune spell and the mana regen is nice too, but not really game changing or anything.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:02 PM
Planar Protector

You need manastone or manna robe for the epic to be particularly impactful.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:21 AM
Sarnak

The wizard epic is primarily a raid tool to add survivability vs AE damage. This COUPLED with good resists means that you won't die in every fight that has AE (most of them do).

The manastone or manna robe epic combo is mostly a gimmick. Porting to a classic zone to manastone during a raid is often impractical if not impossible (sometimes literally such as in VP) and once you subtract the manacost for porting the benefit is rather marginal. You'd practically never do it during a fight, instead it's something you'd do to help recover mana after a death or wipe. Manna robe is a bit easier to use of course since it doesn't require a classic zone but it's MUCH slower and requires a tedious amount of clicking. Good for wipe recovery to be sure but unless you're a serious raider, eehhhh....

As for farming it's much the same issue. Granted you could shorten time between quads but that's only really if you have enough TO quad. Even today quad locations that give decent drops are contested. It's pretty terrible PP/hr too, anyway.

For single target damage you don't want the manastone combo, you want a rend robe from VP. You'll have practically endless damage so the manastone combo becomes irrelevant in this case. However, here the epic effect is somewhat useful for absorbing hits. You will NOT be able to tank any summoning mobs but anything that doesn't summon or nukes very hard you can root-rend to death and when you get root breaks you aren't restricted as much or at all by your HP. It makes it easier to tank multiple mobs as you root em too.

Now, which specific camps that become available with the epic? Nothing worthwhile that I know of but it would be easier to do stuff like Jail in KC etc.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could try to sell ports. After you get some better gear, you could sell more ports.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:31 AM
Fire Giant

Don't know how well this would work in actual practice, but I always promised myself that one day if my wizard ever earned the epic + a DD item, that he'd finally go start exploring some dungeons. Having reliable survivability and a manaless nuke would mean I could go cover large areas of places like UGuk and possibly harder dungeons. Not sure how high I'd be able to go with that kind of setup, but it does seem like it would be possible. I would test things out and see how high of a dungeon a raid geared, epic'ed wizard would be able to go solo.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't know how well this would work in actual practice, but I always promised myself that one day if my wizard ever earned the epic + a DD item, that he'd finally go start exploring some dungeons. Having reliable survivability and a manaless nuke would mean I could go cover large areas of places like UGuk and possibly harder dungeons. Not sure how high I'd be able to go with that kind of setup, but it does seem like it would be possible. I would test things out and see how high of a dungeon a raid geared, epic'ed wizard would be able to go solo.
Maybe I'll just start yolo'in this weekend to see what I can do. I don't have a DD robe (skyshrine robe doesn't count that thing is ass), but I probably wouldn't use it anyways.

With barrier up it should be pretty safe to pull 4-6 mobs at a time and just AOE them down. I was pulling 4 spiders in crystal caverns at a time with Manaskin and it was safe, I'm sure with Barrier you can push harder considering how much beefier it is.

Makes camping the entire hallway pretty breezy. It's probably not insane money, but crystalline silk runs about 10p/ea on green, the spiders drop them pretty often and the respawn time isn't that bad.

And sure--you can sell ports, that's just a lot less fun and quite frankly super spikey.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:17 AM
Banned

i have never seen a wizard in a dungeon on p1999
Old 11-23-2022, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Time to sell ports and fund your enchanter or torpor shaman farming character.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:54 PM
Fire Giant

I'd still like to see some dungeons one day beyond the lowest level ones. There's still a lot of the game I haven't seen, and I can only do it as a wizard (tried other classes and they just didn't click). I know plenty of wizards are probably fine just quadding and porting, but I'm still hoping to one day be able to do more.