Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Orc

Default AoE limit?

I don't recall the AOE limit I am getting on Green from back when I played live from 99-01. Is this a special gimp for this server? Specifically Bard dots and Bard mez?
Old 02-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Planar Protector

Its fully classic replica AKA you couldn't possibly AOE 1 billion mobs because game would crash so its working as intended.

FYI nerf from blue carried over.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:03 PM
Orc

No but you could AOE more than 4 mobs. SO this isn't
"Classic".
Old 02-07-2020, 08:10 PM
Planar Protector

Per old patch notes 4 is the limit until it gets raised in accordance with the classic timeline if you can find hard evidence other than your 20yr old memories please provide them, otherwise it won’t be tooo much longer til 25 mob limit
Old 02-07-2020, 08:11 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Per old patch notes 4 is the limit until it gets raised in accordance with the classic timeline if you can find hard evidence other than your 20yr old memories please provide them, otherwise it won’t be tooo much longer til 25 mob limit
Don't be insulting, I was there, were you?
Old 02-07-2020, 08:12 PM
Fire Giant

AoE limit will be increased at a later date, just like on live.

"Classic".
Celent - 60 Sorcerer!
Stratah - 58 Troubadour!
Joan - 58 Knight!
Colin - 52 Rake!

Guild Leader of <Eclipse>
Old 02-07-2020, 08:14 PM
Planar Protector

Yes, and pretty damn good evidence was provided to support it, being a bard myself(I actually have multiple) I can’t wait until it’s lifted.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:18 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, and pretty damn good evidence was provided to support it, being a bard myself(I actually have multiple) I can’t wait until it’s lifted.
Here is the text:

25 mob AoE limit
On live AoE spells (and Bard songs) could affect all mobs in range, but on Project 1999 these spells/songs only affect a maximum of 25 mobs.
There are a few explanations for why the developers made this "unclassic" change:
GM sanity: petitions for zones where AoE was widespread (eg. The Overthere) were far more common than petitions for other zones. Since P99 has an all volunteer staff, this drain on resources was significant
The entire zone of Chardok was monopolized by AoE groups, to the point where it was difficult for non-AoE adventures to level there (creating an extremely unclassic environment in that zone)
During the original live classic era (1999-2001) internet connections were much less reliable, both in terms of bandwidth and in terms of latency/ping. While some players did have access to better connections, the vast majority of EQ players in the classic era were constrained by their internet connection, and this limit simulates that limitation on Project 1999

It's a simulation of the internet connection, NOT of the actual limit in the game.

I doubt you were barding in 99. That or your 20 year old memory isn't cutting it or you suffered with poor internet.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexNemox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here is the text:

25 mob AoE limit
On live AoE spells (and Bard songs) could affect all mobs in range, but on Project 1999 these spells/songs only affect a maximum of 25 mobs.
There are a few explanations for why the developers made this "unclassic" change:
GM sanity: petitions for zones where AoE was widespread (eg. The Overthere) were far more common than petitions for other zones. Since P99 has an all volunteer staff, this drain on resources was significant
The entire zone of Chardok was monopolized by AoE groups, to the point where it was difficult for non-AoE adventures to level there (creating an extremely unclassic environment in that zone)
During the original live classic era (1999-2001) internet connections were much less reliable, both in terms of bandwidth and in terms of latency/ping. While some players did have access to better connections, the vast majority of EQ players in the classic era were constrained by their internet connection, and this limit simulates that limitation on Project 1999

It's a simulation of the internet connection, NOT of the actual limit in the game.

I doubt you were barding in 99. That or your 20 year old memory isn't cutting it or you suffered with poor internet.
They aren’t going off memory maybe do better research... here I’ll help. https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=334283

Bards will get the limit increased in the September patch, identical to how it happened on live.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
The 25 Mob AE Limit will be in place, but we will evaluate this and change as necessary.

We have received evidence that ALL spells and songs were limited to a max of 4 mobs per cast/pulse until September 1999. This will be in place for Launch.
Closed Thread