Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Orc

Default Cant seem to settle on a class

Hey, started about a week or two ago, kind of a blur once you start playing >_> I cant seem to stick with any particular class.

12mage
9necro
5rng
5dru
5war

Made and spent about 200pp from CB belts on random equipment for them all, but it doesnt really seem like a few int items add much mana.

Iksar was fun, but kunark was desolate and no one to really talk or trade with.

Argh so frustrating.

Is there a group friendly class that can solo and also melee? haha! probably not
Old 05-21-2015, 01:45 AM
Sarnak

Bard
Old 05-21-2015, 02:44 AM
Kobold

I don't see that this is a problem but I love alts. Bear in mind also that you're not going to get much inkling of what makes a class unique until you get into the teens at the earliest and roles and options will alter over time. A monk might fit the closest definition of your last question but it would presume that the monk's gear isn't newbie stuff.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:07 AM
Kobold

Step 1: Delete the ranger

Step 2: Level the Druid to 49 and farm plat with ports/AC/quads/etc.

Step 3: Figure out which class is the funnest for you besides: ranger, paladin, wizard

Step 4: Twink that class and play it.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:58 AM
Sarnak

What's with the wiz hate around here?
Old 05-21-2015, 07:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by manard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I cant seem to stick with any particular class.
I couldn't either until I read on EQThieves.com that enchanter was the hardest class to play well. Challenge accepted. I was hooked before I even rolled. Videri was my first character past level 23 and I got him to 65 with <Lost in Progression> before coming to Red99. So, maybe you just haven't found your niche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Iksar was fun, but kunark was desolate and no one to really talk or trade with.
You can either just stick it out or try to get a port out of Kunark, possibly from Overthere. If you do, get a bind before you hunt.

Quote:
Is there a group friendly class that can solo and also melee? haha! probably not
Actually... Bard. It's like a meleeing enchanter. They're not just for swarm kiting - they're great in groups when played well.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:45 AM
Sarnak

By the way, I have the same problem as you. Although I know the class I want to play, I get caught up in the "man, this class could be fun too!" and start one, only to get frustrated with dying/lack of mobs to kill and then go to something else.

To date, I've started these characters:

Ogre Warrior - Level 7 (hated the starting area)

Dark Elf Necro - Level 6 (at level 6, Nek forest is over crowded and every time I left for EC I got owned by some high level wandering mob no matter how cautious I was)

Dwarf Paladin - Level 2. Level 1 was pretty smooth, but when I got to level 2 and the xp bar looked like it wasn't even moving due to hybrid penalty, I shelved and deleted (although Paladin is a class that I'd likely enjoy)

Red Dwarf Cleric - Level 3. Leveling is fine, but the thought of getting ganked makes me uneasy on red.

Gnome Wizard - Level 2. Repeated deaths. Drove me nuts (and I played a high level/well geared wiz in old school EQ, so you'd think I'd figure it out).

Wood Elf Druid - Logged in, did a /who, saw 20 other druids, deleted.

Iksar Warrior - Level 7. REALLY enjoy him. Warrior is definitely a class I have interest to play and it's my primary class. I think I've finally settled on my main with this warrior.

Other classes interested in: Enchanter, Shaman, Bard, Cleric (on blue), Shadowknight.

So, ya, I feel you. Haha
Old 05-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Aviak

Both porting classes are easy to solo/level with (wiz/dru) and make great plat with ports. Any work put into a dru/wiz will, quite literally, pay for itself.

Bards can melee and solo, and are sought after in group atmospheres, but their soloing tactic involves no use of melee. (soloing on a bard will take some practice/finesse/deaths before you master the skill. But there are lots of great vids/writeups on these forums on how to go about it.)

Deciding a main is tough, Rog/War/Clr are the most sought after dps/tank/heals end game. But like most people will tell you in the end, play whatever class you enjoy logging in to play.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:09 AM
Sarnak

The game ends at level 60.

Get one character to 60 and start another.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:19 AM
Sarnak

FoB, Kurns, and LOIO at the least (zones that could get you from 1-35ish) are very busy zones and not desolate at all.

Take your Ogre Warrior to Neriak and bind there if you don't like the swamp zones (though I love innothule>uguk). After level 6 when Nektulos slows down, go to North Ro instead of EC - much safer zone. There's also Befallen where you can start the 1st floor around level 8 or so.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Closed Thread