Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 03-22-2022, 05:20 AM
Sarnak

I remember chatting with people on Boats in classic(well Kurnark), people would group up for the ride and spam their native languages so we could learn/skillup our language skills.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:01 AM
Banned

You should be able to zone without being on the boat either.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember chatting with people on Boats in classic(well Kurnark), people would group up for the ride and spam their native languages so we could learn/skillup our language skills.
^

That went on a lot more than people talk about. When you entered Kelethin there was usually someone advertising this. My enchanter learned most of the languages like this. No one knew what the future held for the game or what uses the devs might have for.. well, anything. People also experimented more and would chat in those different languages for fun I guess, so it was cool being able to read what they were talking about.

Chat is pretty much dead on P99 but it isn't anyones fault, the march of time and progress. There were no social medias like today when EQ was around.

Quote:
More than that, the game itself resisted distraction. You could not tab out to look something up on Allakhazam let alone check your email. EverQuest could not be windowed. It used all your screen space and all your processing power. You played it until you'd had enough then you closed the program and did something else.

We goodies sat and medded with our spellbooks open, filling the entire screen. I played for years with no distractions or media other than the official EverQuest display, a nine-inch square inside a UI that filled the rest of my 14" CRT monitor, my only contact with the outside world the chat box at the bottom center of the screen. That was immersion for you.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:30 AM
Banned

We could create a multiboxing credit system.

You're allowed to have a porter druid alt.
For every Freeport (teehee you give) a player can give a token, signed with their own pgp key (like an nft).
Players get like three tokens per month.
After collecting 100 tokens you get 1hrs free boxing on any character!

These are tracked in an open thread. Programmatically it's easy to control how many tokens are in the wild and how often they get refreshed and the max number of tokens that can be counted per account. Obviously not every account will get tokens. This will be very hard to cheat.

Hope this helps your time in Norrath be more interesting!
Old 03-22-2022, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We could create a multiboxing credit system.

You're allowed to have a porter druid alt.
For every Freeport (teehee you give) a player can give a token, signed with their own pgp key (like an nft).
Players get like three tokens per month.
After collecting 100 tokens you get 1hrs free boxing on any character!

These are tracked in an open thread. Programmatically it's easy to control how many tokens are in the wild and how often they get refreshed and the max number of tokens that can be counted per account. Obviously not every account will get tokens. This will be very hard to cheat.

Hope this helps your time in Norrath be more interesting!
Oh. Ya. Players just get emailed each month their tokens. Can also be a lottery with a limited # of tokens randomly given with a cool down period for players that just got them.

You can't ever bank more than three tokens!

/\
Old 03-22-2022, 12:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should be able to zone without being on the boat either.
I remember this too especially at the oasis/TD zoneline Id always just run off the dock with lev and sow to not wait the 15 mins or whatever that stupid barrel barge took
Old 03-22-2022, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That was the main past time waiting for boats at docks. Thanks for bringing up the good memory.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:41 PM
Banned

I want to clarify key and tokens in my ruleset.

Also it used to be easy to swim onto all boats. That's either impossible or clunky right now.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:24 AM
Decaying Skeleton

https://wiki.project1999.com/Boat_Schedule
Old 03-24-2022, 09:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblewitz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’m surprised someone hasn’t timed the boats and created a time table for all of them.
IIRC someone did and posted it on the forums a couple years back