Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: Translocator ideas
I support the idea of a zone wide shout indicating spawn of the translocator 27 13.99%
I'm opposed to an NPC shout, not classic, don't do it! 10 5.18%
Keep the translocators up full time, this is lame 107 55.44%
Have them up all the time but only port every 10-15 minutes. 19 9.84%
I like it the way it is, don't change. 25 12.95%
I have another idea! Post below. 5 2.59%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarniwooop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't mind the wait. But, the primary issue is the DOUBLE wait. If you're going to make us wait, which is fine, don't make us wait AGAIN on sister island. Sister island translocater should ALWAYS be up.
one advantage to this is it would be just like the boat, when you use the boat to go to OOT you just stay on the boat to get to BB not wait 10-13m and it would help the evil people seen how a group member died last night cause we had to wait.

just my 2c. I don't mind the way it is cause I don't get attacked unless I try and help a evil group mate (I had to /q when I saw him die cause they started to run to me)
Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Planar Protector

I feel that if the boats can be fixed, that would be ideal. In the interim, the translocators should remain insta, imo. At least until there is a larger porting population.

We're all die-hards, that's why we're here. But that's an unnecessary time-sink that may drive some people away, and I want to see more people on the server...not less.

Just sayin. I'll be here no matter what, lol. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Orc

While I understand that porting classes are the most affected due to the boats, how much business are they actually losing? There are what, 200 people online on average? I am guessing that more than half of everyone on the server is in a guild who has porting classes that port for free. It seems that any profit that can be made off of porting strangers for 20pp is minuscule at best.

The immersion factor in translocators is absent either way. With the previous set up, the whole boating scene is skipped entirely. With the new one, the boating scene is still skipped, except it is now a time sink.

While it appears to some to be a clever emulation of boats, it seems that there is no immersion in the new setup. Sitting on the dock waiting for 20 minutes to be instantly ported to the next for another wait does not even compare to riding aboard the Maidens Voyage and watching the islands fade away in the distance, or sailing into Firona Vie for the first time, or cruising past icebergs on a gnomish steamboat in Iceclad.

Personally, I think the previous set up makes up for the absence of the boating immersion factor, and I think it should be reinstated as it was until boats function properly.

Slayn
Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
one advantage to this is it would be just like the boat, when you use the boat to go to OOT you just stay on the boat to get to BB not wait 10-13m and it would help the evil people seen how a group member died last night cause we had to wait.

just my 2c. I don't mind the way it is cause I don't get attacked unless I try and help a evil group mate (I had to /q when I saw him die cause they started to run to me)
Sorry again, Tollen. You did save my ass with Selo's as we ran around for 5 minutes until a nice necromancer killed the two Wood Elves that aggroed me (us).
Old 11-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seems to me to be a pointless timesink. The thing that made boats cool was riding on the boat, not waiting around for half an hour. I think we're all past the point where we need to feel like the world is huge for immersion purposes. Besides, the world will feel plenty huge if the population is stagnant by the time Kunark comes out.
Exactly. The appeal of riding the boats was the ride itself, not the time it took to get to where you were going. If the boats are FUBAR, then give us translocators that allow us to travel whenever we want instead of making us stand on the docks waiting for him to pop.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyyfeleech [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have seen the Translocators at the BB docks abused by using them as a zoneline. Not much risk involved when you can run to an npc and spawn a hotkey and instantly zone. Making them not port if in combat would fix that.
Oh, and how do you handle wandering mobs? If a red mob aggros you while you are waiting for a tl or on your way to the tl, you should just be allowed to die with xp loss and possibly a long corpse run? Some players training to the tl is something that we will have to live with because the waiting is pointless. The benefits of the tl being there when you need it far outweigh the potential abuses by a few players.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Sarnak

The issue is this: timed TLs are more "classic," yes, but it is a matter of whether or not devs wanna see gameplay end up much LESS classic as a result. It simply makes the "I'm not sure it's worth it to travel 20 min to that MM group" consideration turn into "no effing way." All this talk about classic-this classic-that, well groups were pretty well spread out throughout all dungeons, no matter how good (guk) or how much they sucked (befallen). Due to the population, groups are concentrated in key areas. I know you guys don't want this, you mentioned it when talking about sola exp and replicating the bonus to other dungeons. But the simple fact is that having timed TLs are making the gameplay decidedly LESS classic due to how it interacts with a low population.

For example, everyone and their mother between 12 and 18 are in oasis. Oasis was always a popular zone, but you had other options in 1999. But here, due to the population, you usually don't have any other options. Unrest is an option sometimes, but it's not reliable in any way.. So any, say, mistmoore group, is gonna have to recruit people from oasis. That extra time is enough to make potential group makes say "naa too far."

Currently the vast majority of players are focused in a few key zones. Oasis, sola, solb, and now on occasion guk. It's pretty rare to even have a MM group formed (though not exceedingly rare) even with instant TLs. What I've noticed since the timed TLs are in, is that I very rarely see MM groups formed anymore. It was already a borderline "is it worth it?" consideration with instant TLs, and has now turned into "hell no."

So the issue is this. In classic EQ you had multiple options for where to level. This was a key aspect of gameplay. In P1999 you have much fewer options due to the population. Adding timed TLs is more "classic EQ", but the result of it is a decidedly LESS classic gameplay. That is, the reduction in grouping options since people are much much less likely to leave their comfy boring oasis group to join a MM group that might break up 20 minutes after they arrive. We're not talking about nexus books here...the instant TLs didn't make the trip convenient in any way...just not as often inconvenient enough to totally remove any motivation to travel across the ocean.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Planar Protector

I'm I the only one that remembers the fact that boats were broken like 50% of the time anyway? And when they were, we had access to translocators 24/7. That's how it was then so if the boats are broken, that's how it should be now.

EDIT: If we must keep the time sink then I think people would be much happier if you didn't have to wait on the islands, that's where people are getting killed constantly. Keep the OOT and Erud's Crossing TL's up all the time and just have the mainland TLs be on timers.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Large Bat

Agreed guineapig - at least the islands should be always up.

Overall, I think it should be up all the time - the boats were fine because (as others have said) you got to ride the boat and could use it to jump off at certain points if you wanted. Given that the boats don't work, up all the time would take the pain out of it.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabamf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The issue is this: timed TLs are more "classic," yes, but it is a matter of whether or not devs wanna see gameplay end up much LESS classic as a result. It simply makes the "I'm not sure it's worth it to travel 20 min to that MM group" consideration turn into "no effing way." All this talk about classic-this classic-that, well groups were pretty well spread out throughout all dungeons, no matter how good (guk) or how much they sucked (befallen). Due to the population, groups are concentrated in key areas. I know you guys don't want this, you mentioned it when talking about sola exp and replicating the bonus to other dungeons. But the simple fact is that having timed TLs are making the gameplay decidedly LESS classic due to how it interacts with a low population.

For example, everyone and their mother between 12 and 18 are in oasis. Oasis was always a popular zone, but you had other options in 1999. But here, due to the population, you usually don't have any other options. Unrest is an option sometimes, but it's not reliable in any way.. So any, say, mistmoore group, is gonna have to recruit people from oasis. That extra time is enough to make potential group makes say "naa too far."

Currently the vast majority of players are focused in a few key zones. Oasis, sola, solb, and now on occasion guk. It's pretty rare to even have a MM group formed (though not exceedingly rare) even with instant TLs. What I've noticed since the timed TLs are in, is that I very rarely see MM groups formed anymore. It was already a borderline "is it worth it?" consideration with instant TLs, and has now turned into "hell no."

So the issue is this. In classic EQ you had multiple options for where to level. This was a key aspect of gameplay. In P1999 you have much fewer options due to the population. Adding timed TLs is more "classic EQ", but the result of it is a decidedly LESS classic gameplay. That is, the reduction in grouping options since people are much much less likely to leave their comfy boring oasis group to join a MM group that might break up 20 minutes after they arrive. We're not talking about nexus books here...the instant TLs didn't make the trip convenient in any way...just not as often inconvenient enough to totally remove any motivation to travel across the ocean.
THIS
Closed Thread