Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get a kick out of how with basically any other hobby in the world, when someone spends a shitload of time on it, they get admired for their dedication and perseverance that leads to great skill with that hobby. Sports, hunting, any kind of art or music, etc. But with a video game, the more you play/the better you are, the more of a loser you are. And even the people who play a lot and are good at them think this.
Little miniature d&d figure painters are pretty loosery.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This man knows what he is talking about. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But on paper a Ranger IS a solo class. They have all the tools to do it, and that is what they are good at. Come Velious they will be over the top. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
over the top? maybe a bit of an exaggeration and the words you're looking for are "mildly improved upon"?

From what I've gathered ranges really didn't "grow into their bodies" until AA's were around-- the implementation of a few good bows doesn't really redeem the class.

Don't get me wrong on paper, Ranger is my favorite class... but eq had a pretty poor implementation at least at this point in the elf sim.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get a kick out of how with basically any other hobby in the world, when someone spends a shitload of time on it, they get admired for their dedication and perseverance that leads to great skill with that hobby. Sports, hunting, any kind of art or music, etc. This is true even for people who don't like or appreciate the hobby in question; they can still acknowledge that the person putting the time into it enjoys it and respect that. But with a video game, the more you play/the better you are, the more of a loser you are. And even the people who play a lot and are good at them think this.
yea i mean its just my opinion and obviously i understand that the A-team is built around the assumption that im wrong, but to me this game is purely about time investment. anyone can learn to stop goofing things up if they do it enough times and they are willing to focus for brief periods of time.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yea i mean its just my opinion and obviously i understand that the A-team is built around the assumption that im wrong, but to me this game is purely about time investment. anyone can learn to stop goofing things up if they do it enough times and they are willing to focus for brief periods of time.
My dad is a hard core Lional trains collector. Hes got everything but 1 car that is actually 'fabled' to exist, some verison of a oil tank car that has a # on it that nobody has a photo of but some insist exist... shit is nuts.

I always thought he was pretty cool for having that hobby, and that it was a respectable world. So did my mom. Until we finally went with him to one of the train meets.

Oh.

My.

God.

My mother was a saint, she wouldn't say a single bad thing about anyone.

She could there though haha.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So yea... I think its just that everyone plays games at some point, or see's people playing them. So its much more obvious that we are looser hobbiests...

The raelity is, if you have a hobby, youre pretty loosery.

WHO CARES WOOOOOO!!! cast cast cast pew pew pew cast pew cast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh no no. I definitely agree that time investment is the biggest factor in "success" on p99. What I was trying to get at is... isn't time investment the biggest factor in success with basically any hobby?

People on here like to say that there's no "skill" to the game... it's just all about how much time you sink into it. But time spent on something while trying to work toward some specific goal is basically the definition of practice, and practice is how you become skilled at some activity. But tons of people here are afraid to give anyone credit for being "skilled" at p99 either because they don't want to sound like a loser or because they don't want to feel like a loser themselves for NOT being "skilled."

In before people go off on a tirade about how I'm just saying this to give my life meaning [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Fire Giant

So then I'm the only one irritated by the recurring mispelling of the word "loser"???

Quote:
People on here like to say that there's no "skill" to the game... it's just all about how much time you sink into it. But time spent on something while trying to work toward some specific goal is basically the definition of practice, and practice is how you become skilled at some activity. But tons of people here are afraid to give anyone credit for being "skilled" at p99 either because they don't want to sound like a loser or because they don't want to feel like a loser themselves for NOT being "skilled."
No MMO's require true skills. They require something like skill, that you develop by playing the game-- but not real skills.

A skill is the ability to play the guitar, or to climb mountains efficiently-- fishing is a real life skill. Sitting around and pushing buttons when signaled to do so =/= skill.

Im the most skilled healer in the game, I can otally keep people at full health by sitting in between alt-3
Last edited by Xer0; 06-09-2014 at 06:15 PM..
Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers are not going to tank anything in Velious trust me.
Sure we will. Level 60 rangers will tank plenty of raid targets.

For precisely 18 seconds before exploding into little ranger bits in a blaze of glory.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 06-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So then I'm the only one irritated by the recurring mispelling of the word "loser"???

No MMO's require true skills. They require something like skill, that you develop by playing the game-- but not real skills.

A skill is the ability to play the guitar, or to climb mountains efficiently-- fishing is a real life skill. Sitting around and pushing buttons when signaled to do so =/= skill.

Im the most skilled healer in the game, I can otally keep people at full health by sitting in between alt-3
that's nonsense! your just making up your own universal rules for life.

guitar requires no skill, its just some sandal wearing womanizer trying to get layed with minimal effort by sitting around plucking strings.

When you start eq you die, and suck... when you start the guitar you suck and your neighbors think you should die.

After a while you can crawl through a dungion on your own pickingup multiple drops because you slow this calm that camp out this or that, so many crazy things.

It totaly requires skill... a more useless skill than most things thats true.... but who cares.

The only thing I have to say that's bad about EQ is that when I play it and then go out and hang out with people in real life, my social ability is like erased from my brain and I have trouble controlling the volume of my voice... I feel like it numbs the brain in some way or another. I am sure they will do some tests one day and find out that playing MMO's or VR worlds literately does destroy your grey matter.

But until that test comes out, I'm gonna say im just playing in my basement withi my virtual d&d lional train toy soldiers and have every right to!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure we will. Level 60 rangers will tank plenty of raid targets.

For precisely 18 seconds before exploding into little ranger bits in a blaze of glory.
Surviving that particular sort of encounter usually depends on how well the handing-off of the target to the main tank goes, I'd say. Which requires some sort of skill, I think.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that's nonsense! your just making up your own universal rules for life.

guitar requires no skill, its just some sandal wearing womanizer trying to get layed with minimal effort by sitting around plucking strings.

When you start eq you die, and suck... when you start the guitar you suck and your neighbors think you should die.

After a while you can crawl through a dungion on your own pickingup multiple drops because you slow this calm that camp out this or that, so many crazy things.

It totaly requires skill... a more useless skill than most things thats true.... but who cares.

The only thing I have to say that's bad about EQ is that when I play it and then go out and hang out with people in real life, my social ability is like erased from my brain and I have trouble controlling the volume of my voice... I feel like it numbs the brain in some way or another. I am sure they will do some tests one day and find out that playing MMO's or VR worlds literately does destroy your grey matter.

But until that test comes out, I'm gonna say im just playing in my basement withi my virtual d&d lional train toy soldiers and have every right to!
The difference between guitar and eq though is that you get better and develop a skill when playing an instrument, whereas in eq you just get better pixels and better pewpews. You yourself have no gotten better at the game via the development and sharpening of skill-- your character just got more powerful.. (outside of learning what aggro ranges are and being able to avoid mobs-- hardly requires skill, more memorization and attention)That's my biggest grief with RPGs in general, despite my love for the fantasy genre.

say what you will about all the 13 year olds spouting hatespeech in call of duty via xbox, but at least they're developing coordination and reaction time.
Closed Thread