Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 05-15-2014, 04:11 AM
Planar Protector

You are yet again talking about something COMPLETELY different and drawing an incorrect correlation.

The patch note specifically talks about how people were camping guards INSIDE cities. WHY on earth do you think they raised the respawn timer of the guards inside cities and stated "we feel these mobs are re-spawning too quickly in comparison to equivalent level dungeon mobs"? It's because they were being camped! Get a clue!

Yet, this whole time, you are saying "there were never groups of people camping guards. Ever. On any server." You are blatantly wrong. What do you not understand?

In this very thread there is a link of ME, and others, in 2000 talking about killing city guards! How is it, with the overwhelming amount of posts out there with people talking about killing guards in 1999 and 2000, that you can say we actually didn't? It is very specifically stated that city guards are easier than a hill giant - the same damage but less health.

HERE'S how it went down, since you don't know - in 1999 guards were just a weak equivalent level mob with nothing special about them at all (aside from perhaps a couple big ones). In late 1999 they were somewhat buffed, but still very killable and continued to be constantly camped. In 2000 the newbie area guards were buffed, so that people would stop killing them altogether, and the guards inside cities had their spawn times increased so that they were balanced better in comparison to camping more dangerous areas. Guard killing at this point became much less frequent in cities NOT because the guards were particularly difficult to kill, but because people were no longer getting as much reward AND because more and more people were purchasing the Kunark expansion.

The patch note even specifically states they buffed up only the newbie guards aside from just making them magic immune. The city guards aren't just newbie guards with the same stats aside from magic immunity. Why are you talking about "knowing" that city guards aren't magic immune in the first place? Of course they aren't! Everyone knows that. You're throwing out shit information as if it actually means something. You don't know what you're talking about.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Why would there be lists to get into solb/guk groups if people could just camp the guards for xp? Sure there's items that drop in those zones but would people rather have just done nothing?
Back then the motto wasn't "grind to 50 (or 60) as fast as possible!" it was "PHAT LEWTS". Everyone waited for the camps for a chance to get exp and gear. And I don't see how anyone could say guard killing wasn't part of early EQ due to the fact that Freeport was all about guard killing. You kill one faction or the other depending on what quests you wanted to do and what part of the city you wanted to travel freely in.

"Living my life 6 seconds at a time." - Unknown
Old 05-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Banned

They weren't unkillable or how else would people do the soulfire. That's not my point.

My point is the tests I did on live actually matched exactly how I remember the guards in the towns during classic-Velious (even Luclin). Root barely landed and broke when it did.

The people I saw killing guards on live had to kite them and try to stick snares until they landed (just like how they killed the town front guards before those became immune).

It's up to the devs (I presume the Dawg) to apply the change they did to Grobb to the other zones.

I'm actually done with this turning of the bugs section into a war zone and will try to extend the let's be men about it branch to offended parties to prevent this being RNF. I stand by my claims about their resists.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

People would charm guards and make them fight each other. Their resists couldn't have been that high.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Banned

Ya considering charm was completely unreliable on live compared to what people do here you are wrong again.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

about charm, altho off topic.

on live kunark-velious i dont remember enchanters ever charming in groups. sadly we dont know if this was because charm was less reliable or players were just bad. for real tho chanter is so damn OP its ridiculous on p99.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Banned

Charm effectiveness here is a result of exactly what we're seeing in this thread, Sam. Except it will be defended by even more because they'd rather have ezmode than classic EQ.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya considering charm was completely unreliable on live compared to what people do here you are wrong again.
I'm not wrong at all. You need to stop posting about something you don't have experience with. Bards and Enchanters would VERY commonly solo by charming a guard and throwing it into a nearby guard, then finishing them off when they got low. Charming in this situation made it not very difficult to manage a break, as opposed to continuously trying to charm something and keep it around like a Mage pet.

It's clear you didn't play pre-expansion EQ. Your stance on this issue is obviously born from the fact that you started playing later and people had already moved on from commonly killing city guards. If you had actually started earlier then you would be aware of how frequent it was.

http://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-12506.html

"High level folks would camp Guard Jendl in West Freeport or the Freeport Militia in other spots and outside the gates of Freeport as well."

"Felwithe guards? Those were sometimes a popular spot for necros to own."

"I liked squishing Felwithe guards myself."

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/49919031-post4.html

"I cant even estimate how many hours I spent on that game.... damn near ruined my first college attempt.... would skip school to camp gnome guards"

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpos...4&postcount=34

"Ahh, memories of killing Guards with my Mage pet in Freeport"

http://www.micsaund.com/2006/01/26/t...t-gold-farmer/

"I started selling about 7 years ago. I started on my home server, amongst a few other sellers. At the time EQ was EQ, no expansions, fairly new, and you could sell 1,000 platinum for $500. I got into selling because of a GM at the time who I spoke to on occasion who was selling platinum and other items from places like mistmoore, guk, and solusek b. This was at a time a GM was an unpaid volunteer player, and the kinks hadn't been worked out as far as the EULA which forbid the buying and selling of intellectual property.

I killed guards in everfrost and sold the weapons to vendors and then bought items from players, or sold the platinum. That's the entirety of what I did to make that income."

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/arch...p/t-48402.html

"Hunt guards/giants/lguk/SolB in groups." (Notice how guards are grouped together with those other spots? It was very common!!)

http://www.eqclassic.org/forums/view...hp?f=16&t=2313

"OK, I really enjoyed camping guards. Neriak 3rd Gate: all of the wandering guards near the floating eye."

"also remember hitting 50 off guards in freeport, there were always groups there."

"Was kos in W/E FP for killing Reskin/Tolus and then Colin/Valon. I did it for the exp. Got tired of lfg all the time."

---

Hahaha, also look at what Allakazam's Magical Realm says on May 11th 2000 as the "thought of the day":

Wouldn't it be nice to see one of the guards get promoted or something? "Where's Guard Valon?" "He's now Sergeant Valon, patrolling the city gate. And he's buffed up and looking for revenge on those people who have been kicking his butt all these years."

http://web.archive.org/web/200005110...llakhazam.com/
Last edited by Zuranthium; 05-15-2014 at 07:32 PM..
Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Banned

Guard Valon isn't in a town (west commons).

Everfrost isn't Halas.

Keep swingin.

What does killing something with a mage pet have to do with magic resistance?

How is April 1999 "later"? I think that's pre-expac EQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. Maybe not you you but... if you think West Commons is a town..

Yikes.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Planar Protector

Stop ignoring all of the information and trying to cherry-pick and twist statements into something that superficially make you sound relevant. People talked about killing guards in towns and furthermore the guards in towns weren't even more difficult as compared to other guards, unless they were higher level. That's why the patch note specifically stated they weren't buffing up in-town guards.

There's no way you started playing EQ in April 1999 if you're making statements so ridiculous as "nobody killed city guards. Ever. On any server" and "Why would there be lists to get into solb/guk groups if people could just camp the guards for xp?" You are seriously clueless. FYI, there were waiting lists for the guards too!!! EVERY single person disagrees with you. That's why there are hundreds of posts out there talking about camping city guards. You are wrong and need to stop distorting history.

---

As for Charm in general, it became much more popular in the later Velious era after someone posted an extensive "Charming guide" on the official Everquest forums. This guide talked about being able to charm a very powerful Velious guard and have it run around and destroy everything in the area until it was nearly dead (it was able to plow through a ton of mobs before it got to that point), at which point you finish it off and wait for a re-spawn. The enchanter would have SoW potions to ensure safety, something that didn't exist during the first year of the game.

Until that point very few people actually did such a thing. Enchanters in general were probably the least played class in the game during the first 6 months of release. As people learned how to play them more and more, and especially because of how much more "necessary" they became in Kunark, their popularity continued to grow.