Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-04-2023, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was referring to the unclassic "PvP" aspect of the current raid scene (eg. racing for mobs, starting at a race line ... a race line that never existed on Live, and so by definition is unclassic). Obviously the PvE aspects would remain (largely) the same.
Ah I see. Thank you for clarifying.

I would be all for removing race lines and just have it a free for all, as it was in classic. But you don't need instancing to do that.

There was competition on live, so you can't really say that "classic" is no competition. Not all servers had rotations, and none had instancing.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was referring to the unclassic "PvP" aspect of the current raid scene (eg. racing for mobs, starting at a race line ... a race line that never existed on Live, and so by definition is unclassic). Obviously the PvE aspects would remain (largely) the same.

This is the crux of it. Our current raid scene is unclassic in key ways. For instance, back in 2001 guilds didn't compete directly (eg. by racing for a mob), because there wasn't the kind of competition for those mobs that there is here, there weren't the same FTE rules as we have here, etc.

Instances would solve that unclassic aspect of P99 ... but in return they would require a sacrifice of making something else unclassic (instances obviously didn't exist in 2001). It's impossible to make P99 100% classic in every way, so no one is (really) talking about classic or unclassic: they're talking about making their preferred aspect of the game classic.
I would rather have unclassic race lines that allow for a bit more competition rather than a guild like Riot getting every single spawn 100% of the time than have instances.

Half the fun of the raid scene is the competition aspect and never knowing if you're going to get that target this cycle or not. Or on quakes having to strategize which targets to hit out in the world (or do you just roll on NToV and try to clear a bunch of it while the other guild(s) are hitting Dane, Gore, etc.).

I do think instancing could also cause P99 pop to go down in the semi-long term. If you make it easy to gear all the alts because the only competition is with people in your guild, how long do some of these people keep playing? There's a good chunk addicted to the pixel chase on their alts...resolve that for them quickly and where does the pop go.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:54 AM
Planar Protector

Rotation 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.