Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 11-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Planar Protector

No, that's talking about face aggro. Not standing there when a mob is brought past you and arbitrarily being added to the hatelist.

By a failed pull I mean when the players doing the pull died, the pull reset, unaggroed, even though I'd run through it and not touched the mobs.

I did my fair share of swarm kiting. Leveled a bard / Druid to 65 on Mac, and bards to 75/95 and Druid to 100 on live. A large amount done through swarm or reverse kiting. Having just face aggro on the mobs didn't cause them to either turn or add to the aggro list anyone the mobs ran past, UNLESS, again, they were fighting a mob nearby, and gained proxy on the train.
Last edited by Daldaen; 11-05-2015 at 07:36 PM..
Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, that's talking about face aggro. Not standing there when a mob is brought past you and arbitrarily being added to the hatelist.

By a failed pull I mean when the players doing the pull died, the pull reset, unaggroed, even though I'd run through it and not touched the mobs.

I did my fair share of swarm kiting. Leveled a bard / Druid to 65 on Mac, and bards to 75/95 and Druid to 100 on live. A large amount done through swarm or reverse kiting. Having just face aggro on the mobs didn't cause them to either turn or add to the aggro list anyone the mobs ran past, UNLESS, again, they were fighting a mob nearby, and gained proxy on the train.
Nilbog already confirmed in this thread that the mechanics had changed by eqmac.

You remember running directly through trains in order to navigate a zone without getting aggro and needing to camp out on live?

You can't remember ever being trained or training someone unless they were sitting/ fighting a mob?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Any other input from others?
Old 11-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nilbog already confirmed in this thread that the mechanics had changed by eqmac.

You remember running directly through trains in order to navigate a zone without getting aggro and needing to camp out on live?

You can't remember ever being trained or training someone unless they were sitting/ fighting a mob?

I certainly "felt" like it worked the way you describe. Any proximity to a KOS mob would add you to the mobs hate list.

But this couldn't have been how it worked because of plane of fear.

I went on about half a dozen fear raids pre-velious (and only one raid after, during POP on a pre-broken raid). The breaks always worked the same. You zoned in, and if you had aggro, you stood there and died. If you didn't have aggro, you moved to the west wall. This lead to a pile of corpses and 4-5 mobs sitting at the portal that everyone just ran right past to the west wall. Those mobs at the portal never came after the raid, even after they killed all of the zone-inners unless someone did something to them and trained us.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, you misunderstand swarm kiting.

The reason swarm kiting exists is because of the 2nd situation I cite. Fighting a mob on the train's faction, near the train. That is why swarm kiting works.
Disagree completely, Heebo nailed it.

Mob faction, agro bands and what not didn't matter pre-PoP. All you needed to do was charm 1 of them, quickly get out of agro range, and pet would get ganged up on. Didn't even need to swap targets and have it attack.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I certainly "felt" like it worked the way you describe. Any proximity to a KOS mob would add you to the mobs hate list.
It worked like that till Luclin at least, almost got several people killed when I was swarming and would be further from the pack then some poor chap meditating
Old 12-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But this couldn't have been how it worked because of plane of fear.

I went on about half a dozen fear raids pre-velious (and only one raid after, during POP on a pre-broken raid). The breaks always worked the same. You zoned in, and if you had aggro, you stood there and died. If you didn't have aggro, you moved to the west wall. This lead to a pile of corpses and 4-5 mobs sitting at the portal that everyone just ran right past to the west wall. Those mobs at the portal never came after the raid, even after they killed all of the zone-inners unless someone did something to them and trained us.
This statement confuses me, 4-5 mobs sitting at portal doing what? were they being trained around? Sounds like the people that 'got aggro' were in proximity range and stood and died to save the raid, people that didn't get agro weren't in proximity range or got out of range before a server tick or something.

This post was a year ago, but maybe you are still active.

In other news, I feel something quasi related to this thread from my live experience... do any casters remember sitting next to a mob during an engage? Not even raid just exp group, felt if a cleric sat to med when fighting an exp mob it would run over and thwap him so he stood up then back to tank. Casters had to get a fair distance back to sit. I feel like a cleric can sit under a mobs crotch on p99 while tank is engaging.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You are both correct.

All KOS mobs would add you to the hatelist if they were chasing someone and that someone trained them near enough to bring them into aggro range. If they were in aggro range you would be added. As an caster I was acutely aware of this because often one of the mobs would decide it didn't like me sitting and would give me a whack or two as it went past.

All non-kos mobs would add you to their hatelist if you were attacking something they were factioned with, or if you healed or assisted someone who was attacking something they were factioned with because the factioned mob with aggro passed their hate to the trained mobs as they went past. Which would again sometimes result in some peeling off and kicking the shit out of me because I was sitting / lower level.

Remember it well.

Edit: As for the fear thing, if you were higher level the reaction time for aggro is lower so you probably got out of range before they aggroed on you. The people dying at the portal probably were lower or just unlucky / slower to load etc.
Last edited by Ikon; 12-02-2016 at 10:56 AM..
Old 12-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Level Based Aggro

Aggro radius is not finite. It decreases in relation to the difference in level between the mob and yourself. This is why greens will often not aggro until you stand right on top of them. It's also why a level 60 monk can pull a mob from in between 2 blues and aggro only one, while a level 52 monk will aggro all 3 every time. This is why a level 60 of any class is sometimes a better puller than a level 52 monk.

Aggro Delay

When you first enter a mobs aggro range, there is a random delay before a mob aggros you. This is supposed to represent the mob debating whether to eat you or not. During this time you are still not aggro, which is why sometimes you can run through a mob with SoW without aggroing, but always aggro it whenever you run through it at normal speed.

*snip*

Aggro Passing Delay

This is a variant of aggro delay. When an aggro mob passes another non-aggro mob, it will pass the Hate list. When a mob wishes to pass the hate list
http://youngsdojo.tripod.com/Pulling.html