Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 06:55 PM
Banned

For people who want a true classic experience you’re going to need a server on an extremely shaky server and 20 year old computer that takes minutes to zone.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:29 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-tron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's a cool thread from June 2001 on caster's realm about enchanters discussing charm tactics:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010630...c&f=9&t=004889
Dabbling in this thread got me thinking about some things.

I've noticed a lot of these old threads that talk about charming don't often bring up the exact mob that they are charming. It's usually just what the mob conned to them. However it seems that mobs did in fact have their own numerical resist values just like players. So,

1. It's obviously impossible for us to determine numerical Resists for any mob, other than ones we know were 100% MR. Reading through some old threads you get some pretty opposite spectrum responses, with some people claiming how easy it was to charm and others saying charms were spam breaking. So I think it's possible that people who weren't successful were trying to charm higher MR mobs, and those who were successful were maybe charming low MR mobs.

2. What ARE resists set to on P99? Sadly we'll likely never know.

3. Don't caster mobs cast Resist Magic on themselves and nearby mobs?

4. Does Tash/Malo overwrite Resist Magic?

5. What effect could having negative resists have on the formulas? (for example, in an early patch note they fixed a bug where negative resists were showing up as 255)
Old 11-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Banned

I can’t remember any mob ever casting MR on themselves and I don’t believe malo/Tash overwrites.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can’t remember any mob ever casting MR on themselves and I don’t believe malo/Tash overwrites.
I think he's inferring that different mobs have different BASE MR values (not referring to buffs)

EDIT: Well my point stands. DO different mobs have different innate magic resistance values?
Last edited by Vizax_Xaziv; 11-21-2019 at 08:54 PM..
Old 11-21-2019, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizax_Xaziv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think he's inferring that different mobs have different BASE MR values (not referring to buffs)
3. Don't caster mobs cast Resist Magic on themselves and nearby mobs?
Old 11-21-2019, 08:56 PM
Orc

Of all the things that emulators did well, resists I feel like resists and mob AC were a huge guess. The HP values were largely known, but AC seems to almost entirely be a function of level and resist for most things is base zero. It feels like the scale with level and the chance to break on duration are totally finger in the air. This isn't exactly a knock, I don't know that the information is out there to get this stuff right. But assuming that the way it is right now is classic just because we don't have enough detail to change it seems a bit naive.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome to classic Everquest people. 2019 version is likely the culmination of no lag and information.

Blue wasn’t like this either because we still didn’t have all the if information still.

The next progression server will be different too. It will probably have even more enchanters because people are adjusting to the meta.

Information matters.
Blue also had a lot of not classic features at the point green is at that have since been corrected. And a few classic features that have since been altered.

Like... I charmed solod lord and AM and stuff in lguk on a necro on blue during classic. But it was largely a matter of "buff the shit out of an undead, send it in, throw a couple dots, then FD around a corner since FD doesn't break charms." You could LOS NPC spellcasts so they wouldn't go off. Invis pulling. And lots more.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:23 PM
Fire Giant

Regarding monsters/npc

I remember in live (dont rem exact timeline) the devs told use all the monsters in everquest where different(Orig game only )having different stat lines etc etc. Sometines same type of mobs would have wildly different stats etc.

There was a patch where they straightened all this out. If a mob was a warrior type it would have warrior stats. If it was a wizard it would have wizard stats. and so on.

I even asked this about p1999 monsters /npc where they like live during the time they had varying stat lines or where they like they are on live post patch where they standardized them. They told me p1999 monsters/npc where created by them which would make sense since they prob did not all the data from live.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 11-21-2019 at 09:27 PM..
Old 11-21-2019, 10:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Regarding monsters/npc

I remember in live (dont rem exact timeline) the devs told use all the monsters in everquest where different(Orig game only )having different stat lines etc etc. Sometines same type of mobs would have wildly different stats etc.

There was a patch where they straightened all this out. If a mob was a warrior type it would have warrior stats. If it was a wizard it would have wizard stats. and so on.

I even asked this about p1999 monsters /npc where they like live during the time they had varying stat lines or where they like they are on live post patch where they standardized them. They told me p1999 monsters/npc where created by them which would make sense since they prob did not all the data from live.
Yes everything is customized here by the P99 devs. That is the very root of this discussion in fact. IE do mobs on P99 have too-low a base magic resistance that causes Charms to last too long etc.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:58 PM
Fire Giant

Ok

But there is no data for what the mobs where like before they where standardized right?

SOOO just because people feeeel that charm is off or it lasting to long then they should change it right ?

maybe people should just accept that its never going to be perfect towhatever your interpretation of that is.

by all means if DEVS feel the side that wants it nerfed have shown enough HEART in there 50 plus page discussion to go ahead and nerf it then i will of course play by there dicision. for now ill cont to play teal charming 2mobs close to each other and doing the chanter thin you guys hate so much BAH

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Closed Thread