Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > PvP Bugs

Old 08-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't play PVP so maybe this was special to those servers, but I don't remember melee damage having any effect on root.
Roots didn't break with melee. Its sort of annoying to see melee break roots in pvp here but seeing as how theyd almost never land on live, i dont think anyones complaining.

think someone already said it best when you gotta just be careful adjusting resists and partials too far. The way it is now has some outright bugs, but as long as you can actually start seeing partials around 100 MR/CR/FR i think the system would be decently tweaked for velious. Maybe occasional full resists once you break 200 or somethin.
Last edited by R Flair; 08-05-2014 at 11:39 AM..
Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Alecta did a really good job with his code. He implemented a tiered resist system where during classic resists don't need to be as high as they do in kunark, and then they need to be even higher in velious, to account for the better gear. He also made it so that resists can be scaled on the fly, without restarting the server.

Please be gentle changing resists, and monitor the server for feedback. What we have is already very good, despite complaints. I think it would probablu be a better use of developer time to focus on fixing dispels (which affects both red and blue) before tinkering with the resists again.
So basically your input is to leave resists alone?

What class you play on red?

H
Old 08-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Banned

resist system definitely isn't anywhere close to very good

when i have 209 fire resist and i'm taking 750+ damage from a sunstrike in pvp, shit's definitely real bad and real DUMB
Old 08-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Banned

^ yis. Although I won't be as crass in my opinions. It seems to me the more time people who pvped during the classic era spend here, the angstier they get (take a LONG break, truzme). However, I can understand that after being chain rooted by a mage pet's lure root that existed here for some time.

Pay no attention to these scum who said things like "SERVER'S FINE JUST RELEASE IT" etc or who wanted ffa pvp zones to suit their interests, or who the hell knows what else that isn't classic.

I will help you, give you honest feed back and seek any clarification from trusted parties.

One thing is for sure, it will be leagues of classic beyond what is here now. As far as people who don't want that? Why pay attention to them anyways. You either want something that is classic (like me) or you want something that serves your interests (selfish/retarded/everyone loses).

What is here now? An attempt to make a WoW style combat system of some kind. I think it had the right intentions but it just doesn't mesh well with the rest of EQ's mechanics.
Last edited by Nirgon; 08-05-2014 at 02:21 PM..
Old 08-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So basically your input is to leave resists alone?

What class you play on red?

H
i'm an SK. i just don't want to see half the classes become meaningless if you get to resist a nuke at 80 resist. i run at 215 fr unbuffed. would it be fun for awhile to run around stomping some casters? yea.

but then the game would become just a bunch of melees, and buff bots. the spice of EQ is all the unique classes. already no one plays mages or necros. imagine when every kind of attack spell is resisted....... game would just suck
Old 08-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

i wouldnt leave them totally alone, just what i said in my 1st post in this thread. and in addition try using the scaling system Alecta set up.

and dispels are a big part of both pvp and pve, and have never been done right.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Banned

You know classes can do other things besides spam nukes (well that's what I think works here, coming here fresh with a classic mindset I thought it was comical people were doing that at first)? I agree buff stacking and dispel should come along with this too. Would be nice if we could test all this on the current Velious beta server.

You know people will have to risk those items that give them the godly 215 FR in my system?

Resilience was added to games like WoW for a reason. The burstiness was just stupid and left no room for strategy just mashing damage. At least frost nova (root) had a long cool down [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.], back on red launch I would watch one druid spam nukes while another spammed roots. Wuz supa dumb especially considering all parties had 160ish of each resist buffed (why bother dispelling, it didn't make a diff!).

PS: the buff stacking change pseudo code is just:
buff is applied -> place it in first available top slot, remove previous instance if it exists -> classic
Last edited by Nirgon; 08-05-2014 at 02:37 PM..
Old 08-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya that never happens here, whatever the cause might be
It might be that the server and the global tick are never synced properly here. Ask a lot of shaman about this, there's sometimes 3 ticks; it makes cannidancing insanely difficult.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Sarnak

I ran a trial of 100 wildfire casts vs. self (so a max of 1024 dmg because no PvP reduction) @ 122 FR and this was the result:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This chart reflects what I believe is the biggest problem with the current partial resist function: the middle of the distribution is scooped out; the majority of casts either landed for around half damage or for nearly full. It's the exact opposite of what you'd expect.

If anything, the curve should be inverted, so it looks more like a bell (or otherwise a normal distribution). This would go a long way toward making resists have a noticeably more reliable effect.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You either want something that is classic (like me) or you want something that serves your interests (selfish/retarded/everyone loses).
I'd say this is a false dichotomy, but in your case those two options are one and the same.

Quote:
You know people will have to risk those items that give them the godly 215 FR in my system?
No they won't, because item loot will never exist on this server. Any forthcoming resist changes are being made with r99 in mind, not "Nirgon's Fantasy 100% Classic RZ Paradise Server".

Quote:
(why bother dispelling, it didn't make a diff!
This same situation will occur under your proposed "120ish resist for immunity" system. Why bother dispelling colgate when he already has 209 FR unbuffed? It won't make a difference.