Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 06:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm pretty sure that at this point, neither one of us knows what you're talking about.
You literally said HP is King. That is the "HP = good" mantra people repeat on these forums ad nauseam, and it honestly doesn't apply in most situations. If you blindly believe this to be the case, I can only assume you don't play the game, or don't pay too much attention to it.

For people who are not fixated on maxing HP without thinking:

1. For levels 1-40 or so, max HP is king on all classes. This is because STA scaling is bad at that range, most good proc weapons don't proc, your spells suck, and your offensive skills are bad. This means ATK, Dex, and Mana aren't helping you too much, whereas the tuning of the game from 1-40 isn't designed for players running around with +500 HP or so from items.

2. Once you get to levels 50+, ATK + Dex + Mana + a good weapon play a bigger role in terms of DPS and kill speed. The difference is content is tuned to expect the player to have a ton of HP, because by levels 50+ you start getting good buffs on buffing classes, so +500 HP isn't that great anymore. Killing a monster 5 seconds faster due to a higher ATK + Dex + Mana + a good weapon means you are saving hundreds of HP by not getting hit for those 5 seconds. You are also able to hold down camps better, get more money, etc. Stacking max HP doesn't increase your kill speed or ability to hold down camps, so it is the lesser stat for solo/group content in most cases.

3. Max HP is better on caster classes like Enchanters 50+, because they NEVER get good STA scaling, so you are always going to be fairly low on HP. High raw +HP items are the only way to go on those classes, especially since most caster gear is very lack luster in Classic -> Velious.

4. Max HP is good in specific situations where mobs are casting unresistable (or nearly unresistable) spells, as it is the only way to counter that kind of spell. For most other spell casting situations, resistances are better. If this wasn't the case, you wouldn't see people carrying around resistance gear[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

5. Max HP is the best stat on Warriors, because most Warriors build themselves for raiding on this server. It synergizes the best with Complete Heal chains, and many raid mobs (such as AoW) don't cast spells anyway.

6. SK's are not good in raids at all on P99. If you want to play a hybrid raid class, play Paladin or Ranger. In those specific cases, if you are trying to be a Flurry offtank, max HP is indeed good. But that is not what OP was asking.

7. Finally, in most group content gear doesn't matter that much, because your group mates are bringing way more to the table, and most monsters do not have spell immunity to things like slow, which trivializes most content anyway. More DPS (even from an SK) means faster kill rates for your group.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-01-2022 at 07:03 PM..
Old 01-01-2022, 07:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You literally said HP is King. That is the "HP = good" mantra people repeat on these forums ad nauseam, and it honestly doesn't apply in most situations. If you blindly believe this to be the case, I can only assume you don't play the game, or don't pay too much attention to it.
Or people who say this play at an extremely high level that you've ever experienced. HP is king. It's been true since 1999. I've been playing that way ever since.

The rest of your post is TL;DR. Probably just more nonsense and backtracking from things you've said that have already been shot down in this post.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or people who say this play at an extremely high level that you've ever experienced. HP is king. It's been true since 1999. I've been playing that way ever since.

The rest of your post is TL;DR. Probably just more nonsense and backtracking from things you've said that have already been shot down in this post.
You didn't shoot down anything, because you yourself said you can't be bothered to read it. That is not a valid argument, and you just look like a fool saying stuff like this. I haven't done any back tracking either. You admitted you haven't read what I said, so it boggles my mind that you can even claim I did back tracking to begin with[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You are the one who keeps bringing in red herrings like Flurries, which are completely different from the majority of content on P99, and a poor example at that considering SK's are literally the worst raid class in P99.

I am not sure what "extremely high level" you are referring to. I have raided all content on p99 many times with the exception of Veeshan's Peak (too lazy to get the key). I have also done many solo artist challenges. Is there some secret content I am not privy to?

Your experience on live is irrelevant anyway, since P99 does not operate the same way it did on live, even from 1999-2002. So honestly it doesn't matter what you think or remember, it matters how P99 actually works right now.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:39 PM
Planar Protector

It's just a lot of words that you're using to defend your position that Silken Cat-fur Girdle is better than Spider Fur Belt.

So many words to type and still be wring.

I feel sorry for you.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
It's just a lot of words that you're using to defend your position that Silken Cat-fur Girdle is better than Spider Fur Belt.

So many words to type and still be wring.

I feel sorry for you.
Why do you assume spider fur belt is better? you are trading 5 AC and 40 HP for 4 STR and 8 DEX. Both cases are honestly mostly irrelevant, but more STR and DEX will increase your kill speed, whereas 5AC and 40HP do nothing for you 99.9% of the time.

Right now my SK only loses somewhere around 1000 HP per mob when face tanking solo, and I have 2.8k HP self buffed. I am not sure where an extra 200 HP would help me. More damage and procs will increase my kill speed though[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-01-2022, 08:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why do you assume spider fur belt is better? you are trading 5 AC and 40 HP for 4 STR and 8 DEX. Both cases are honestly mostly irrelevant, but more STR and DEX will increase your kill speed, whereas 5AC and 40HP do nothing for you 99.9% of the time.
This is just so wrong that it's not even funny. There's no justifying your opinion at this point.

You should stop typing and find an easier game to play.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
This is just so wrong that it's not even funny. There's no justifying your opinion at this point.

You should stop typing and find an easier game to play.
You can't actually articulate any words to argue your point, you just throw insults. Clearly you have no idea how the game operates, and are unable to justify your opinions.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:23 PM
Planar Protector

My point is already articulated. HP is king. The consensus on everybody who came before you agrees. Look at you. You're arguing that 4 STR is a good investment. 4 STR is a negligible amount of STR. You're already over the STR soft cap. A STR buff from a druid or shaman would put you over 255, so that 4 STR is wasted, anyway.

You are out of your league here. I'm not obligated to explain the basics of this game to you, and you are obviously not a person who can learn them even if I tried.

So keep thinking that your 4 STR is better than 5 AC and 40 HP. Keep thinking the stats on your boots are well balanced.

I just hope I never have to play with you in game.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
My point is already articulated. HP is king. The consensus on everybody who came before you agrees. Look at you. You're arguing that 4 STR is a good investment. 4 STR is a negligible amount of STR. You're already over the STR soft cap. A STR buff from a druid or shaman would put you over 255, so that 4 STR is wasted, anyway.

You are out of your league here. I'm not obligated to explain the basics of this game to you, and you are obviously not a person who can learn them even if I tried.

So keep thinking that your 4 STR is better than 5 AC and 40 HP. Keep thinking the stats on your boots are well balanced.

I just hope I never have to play with you in game.
I can tell you from experience that in any normal solo/group situation, I am not losing more than 2000HP per encounter, unless something goes so horribly wrong and there is a wipe. We are NOT talking about raiding, which an SK should never do, and this thread is not about raiding to begin with.

In this situation, whether buffed or unbuffed, I am at least 800HP from dying at all times. Having 840HP vs 800HP makes no difference in that situation. However, my character is NOT DEX capped, even with Focus of Spirit + Mortal Deftness. This means I am slightly increasing my proc rate, as opposed to doing nothing.

Obviously STR gets easily maxed in a group, but we are talking about Solo + Group, not just Group[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Not everybody runs around with full buffs all the time when soloing. When you are no-where near dying (which is most of the time in solo or group scenarios), max HP is doing nothing for you.

If you or your group is consistently wiping, the issue is with what you are fighting and your group comp/skill level, not your max HP. If you are losing something like 90% of your total life in an encounter consistently, that is simply a high risk encounter to begin with, and you probably shouldn't do it if you don't want a high risk of death.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Procs per minute are capped, making the DEX soft cap about 144.

Not sure who told you that you needed more than that.

Maybe we should blame them instead of you?

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
Not sure where you are getting that information.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Weapon_Procs

This says 170 is the sweet spot, but you are still getting returns after 170, but at a 50% penalty. A slight increase in PPM is still better than Max HP when you are never close to death, which is the normal case for any skilled player or decent group comp.